What's new

Front Screen Projectors 101? (1 Viewer)

Suharsh

Auditioning
Friends - I am a complete newbie to the front projection tv arena. I have a few questions:

1. What are the features that one should look for and use for comparing front projectors?

2. Links to some good articles, reviews, 101 stuff on front projection tv?

3. Recommendation for a FP in the range of 5 - 6K

4. Cheap and reliable places to buy FPs on the net.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
1,2 and 3. www.AVScience.com is a good place to gather information. Lots of knowledgeable people there.
4. Cheap and reliable don't really go together when it comes to front projetors (then there's that quality word also). Good luck.

JamesTR

Auditioning
I've had 3 front projectors--I'm using a Sharpvision 9000U DLP right now and flat-out love it. In comparing projectors, most will give a sharp picture, but contrast/black level is a big consideration in how enjoyable the picture is. I've seen several setups, including the Sony 10H LCD, which gives a clean, sharp picture with very little pixel "screen door" effect, but, alas, the blacks look very gray and washed out.

My first projector was a Sharpvision XV-DW99U, which has 800X600 pixels and some unevenness in color, but a very satisfying picture overall, because of the good black levels and very sharp focus. You might look for one of these on the auction sites. They are very affordable.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
3) Plus Piano, Sharp 9000, and maybe the NEC LT150z or LT155. You really should try to see one before you buy it. The two NECs are around $3K, but should be given a shot.

4) The great thing about PJs is that shipping is pretty much nil compared to RPTVs; plus most computer outlets carry them. I'd check AVSforum.com for deals, but check places like PCNation.com and Dell.com (small business section, look for coupons).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks