What's new

Question about hooking up my PS3 to a receiver home theater system (1 Viewer)

Drok

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
If anyone can help me out to answer some questions I have I would greatly appreciate it. I am kind of a newbie to hooking up home theater systems so please bare with me. I have a forty two inch vizio hdtv hooked up with HDMI cable to my PS3 system for blu ray playing. I'm currently thinking about buying a 5.1 home theater system to hook up to my ps3 but I am unsure which cable(s) I need in order to do so. I'm currently looking at buying this system but I'm unsure which cables I'll need to hook up for best quality.

Sony BRAVIA DAV-HDX589W 5.1-Channel Theater System (Black)http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001W0Y440/ref=s9_simz_gw_s0_p23_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0MDGP3AHVP51AVKKHF2R&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Hi Ryan, welcome to the forum.

Is there a particular reason this Sony system appealed to you? Are the wireless rear speakers a requirement for your system?

There are a couple of reasons why I think this system is not the best one for you:
- You already have the PS3 for Blu-Ray playback - you have no need for an integrated DVD player. The PS3 can serve your DVD needs as well as Blu-Ray.
- This Sony system would not allow you to benefit from the new lossless digital audio formats provided by Blu-Ray.

If you want to get the most out of Blu-Rays on your PS3, you'll need a home theater system with a receiver that can handle the Blu-Ray audio formats via HDMI. Something like this Onkyo system would work, but it's a couple hundred bucks more than the Sony system. I'm not sure how flexible your budget is.

With a system like this, you simply hook up your various sources (PS3, HD Cable/Satellite) to the receiver with separate HDMI cables, then run a single HDMI cable out from the receiver to the TV. For cables, don't get anything from a local retailer - rely instead on monoprice.com. Their HDMI cables are very affordable and of the highest quality.

rmande09

Grip
Real Name
Ryan
Nothing to add to the thread, but wanted to thank Jason for the link to monoprice - saves a bundle on wires. Thanks.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
If price is an issue, why not consider the Sony HT-SS360? It is capable of playing back the high-res audio formats, provided you hook your PS3 to the receiver by HDMI and set the PS3 to output audio as LPCM rather than bitstream.

I do not know of the quality of this system, but like Jason said above, you do not need an integrated DVD player when you have a PS3. It does a beautiful job upscaling DVDs.

Personally, I prefer Yamaha receivers over Sony. Actually, I prefer most other brands over Sony, as I thought the sound quality on my last Sony receiver (two receivers ago) was less than satisfactory.

Drok

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
Originally Posted by Jason Charlton

Hi Ryan, welcome to the forum.

Is there a particular reason this Sony system appealed to you? Are the wireless rear speakers a requirement for your system?

There are a couple of reasons why I think this system is not the best one for you:
- You already have the PS3 for Blu-Ray playback - you have no need for an integrated DVD player. The PS3 can serve your DVD needs as well as Blu-Ray.
- This Sony system would not allow you to benefit from the new lossless digital audio formats provided by Blu-Ray.

If you want to get the most out of Blu-Rays on your PS3, you'll need a home theater system with a receiver that can handle the Blu-Ray audio formats via HDMI. Something like this Onkyo system would work, but it's a couple hundred bucks more than the Sony system. I'm not sure how flexible your budget is.

With a system like this, you simply hook up your various sources (PS3, HD Cable/Satellite) to the receiver with separate HDMI cables, then run a single HDMI cable out from the receiver to the TV. For cables, don't get anything from a local retailer - rely instead on monoprice.com. Their HDMI cables are very affordable and of the highest quality.
Nah the wireless isn't really needed it was just more of a less hassle for me since I have a puppy and I don't want her to chew on the cords acidentually. How would the HDMI work though?, the PS3 only has one HDMI hookup and that is going to my HDTV. So I would hook up my HDMI from the PS3 to the Receiver and hook up what else to the tv as far as cables?. I would need a optical audio cable also right?. I thought that the wireless system had a built in receiver with the DVD / CD player but wasn't sure, others online said it did, but I wanted to make sure and now I'm glad I did for sure.

Drok

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
I'm okay with whichever system I need in order to have surround sound quality. Personally I like the cordless speakers but they aren't needed it is just personal preference although they could cause some problems most likely. I think the "Sony HT-SS360" are nice and that is definitely in my price range, I'm looking for a receiver system with some speakers so those are perfect and they cost about 100 bucks less then the other Sony wireless speaker system I was thinking of in the first place. The real problem for me unfortunately is that I do not know anything about hooking up the cables to the receiver and what to set them on.

If I do purchase the "Sony HT-SS360'', which cords would I need in order to hook the receiver up to my PS3 from scratch to finish?. I already have the HDMI cable from my HDTV going into my PS3 so would I just take the HDMI out of the HDTV and stick it into the receiver instead?, what cord would I need to stick into the HDTV from the receiver since the HDMI would be going into the receiver?.

Sorry for all the questions I am new to this stuff, my perfection is within building computer system and software, lol I know, I know it sounds strange but its true. As for cables, would I need a optical audio cable to hookup from the PS3 into the receiver as well? or will the HDMI handle both of these if I just turn on LPCM instead of bitstream?. Thanks for all your help by the way, I really needed it, or I would have bought something stupid and regret it. I'm thinking of going with the "Sony HT-SS360", would you recommend this as a good receiver system?.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Many of us are lukewarm on Sony. They often provide middle tier products at top tier prices. Nowhere near Monster territory, but disagreeable nonetheless.

But as far as connections, yes it's as easy as you guessed. HDMI from PS3 to receiver, HDMI from receiver to TV.

One slight knock on the HT-SS360, it doesn't have any non-HDMI connections. (Thought it does offer two audio connections.) This means that if you have any older sources (standard DVD, PS2, Xbox, satellite box) you won;t be able to switch through the receiver, you'll have to run directly to your TV for video and to the receiver for audio - then either use multiple remotes or get a univeral remote. By no means a deal breaker, but you should be aware.

Drok

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
I agree with you about being lukewarm with Sony products, but for the price and all the reviews I've read it has all high four to five star reviews except two people who nit picked the system to pieces. So let me get this straight, I hook up the HDMI from the PS3 into the receiver then another HDMI from the receiver to the HDTV, I've got that down but would I be able to hook up my DirectTV's HDMI cable from the TV to the receiver and use another HDMI from the receiver to the HDTV?. I'm using the Vizio 42" LCD HDTV, PS3 and DirectTV service through HDMI for high definition audio and picture.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
You would use the Sony receiver as an HDMI switch, so your hookups would be as follows:

HDMI from PS3 to Sony receiver
HDMI from DirecTv to Sony receiver
HDMI from Sony receiver to HDTV

The audio settings on your PS3 under BD/DVD should be set to LPCM and not Bitstream to get Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, and multi-channel PCM surround sound when watching Blu-ray movies. No optical cable is necessary, as HDMI carries both audio and video signals.

Drok

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
Thanks allot for all your support with helping me out with the questions everyone. I really appreciate the help!. Have a nice day and a even better weekend!. :)

tedy

Auditioning
Real Name
jose
how do i make it so that i can hear 5.1 on ps3 i have the optical connected from ps3 to the theater system, i know it was dumb, do plan on getting a onkyo, but for now im stuck with this one. how can i make it 5.1? i tried dts and the other option but i get no sound

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks