-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Any joy for "Private Secretary" and "The Ann Sothern Show"?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,565 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted December 31 2012 - 04:23 PM

Now that CBS/Paramount has completed the series of "The Lucy Show" and MPI has recently released the last season of "Here's Lucy", might those companies (collectively or individually) give some attention to Ann Sothern's 2 sitcoms, "Private Secretary" and "The Ann Sothern" show? There's a handful of later-season eps from "Private Secretary" which have been seen on DVD in the past (under the show's "Susie" syndication title) but nothing else. And "The Ann Sothern Show" (which reunited Ms Sothern with her "Secretary" co-stars Ann Tyrell, Jesse White and Don Porter) features a wonderful episode where Lucille Ball makes a crossover appearance as 'Lucy Ricardo'. And how about Eve Arden's 50's TV vehicles, "Our Miss Brooks" and "The Eve Arden Show"? Do you think there's a market for these shows? Perhaps Shout Factory may give them a chance if CBS doesn't?

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#2 of 6 Kasey

Kasey

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted January 01 2013 - 01:37 AM

I hate to be a downer because I'd be interested in these, but being B&W and not syndicated for decades, I don't know there's much of a chance for these--at least not from CBS. Maybe Timeless would put them out--if there's a market for Loretta Young I'm sure there would be one for these.

#3 of 6 Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,605 posts

Posted January 01 2013 - 03:30 AM

Yeah, I imagine these would be a longshot for a release, especially from CBS/Paramount directly (short of some sort of MOD program), however... I'm not entirely sure of this, but, wasn't THE ANN SOUTHERN SHOW part of the regular line-up in the early days of Nick@Nite? If so, I'd guess that would mean they at least got a standard 1980s-style video tape transfer of the materials for broadcast, so maybe that could be a source for some hope that, while far from HD, maybe an outfit like Shout/Timeless or MPI could wrangle a licensed release deal from CBS/Paramount, if they thought there was a decent enough market for it.

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#4 of 6 Kasey

Kasey

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted January 01 2013 - 04:20 AM

Yes, Nick@Nite had the shows in the late 1980s.

#5 of 6 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,076 posts

Posted January 04 2013 - 07:22 AM

Both Private Secretary and The Ann Sothern Show are controlled by Fox. What that means is that either you had to have recorded them from Nick or else find someone who did. Our Miss Brooks is CBS but its never been transfered to tape so it would entail going back and mastering it. Not likely for a show so old that has never had a national cable run. The Eve Arden Show is PD. I believe one of the cheapo companies like Alpha may have put a few episodes out. The full run exists but there really isn't any company doing those kinds of old, obscure 50s sitcoms these days. No market for it I'm afraid.

#6 of 6 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,565 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted January 04 2013 - 07:30 AM

Yes, I have Alpha's DVD of "The Eve Arden Show" which has 4 episodes complete with original commercials.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users