What's new

Any joy for "Private Secretary" and "The Ann Sothern Show"? (1 Viewer)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Now that CBS/Paramount has completed the series of "The Lucy Show" and MPI has recently released the last season of "Here's Lucy", might those companies (collectively or individually) give some attention to Ann Sothern's 2 sitcoms, "Private Secretary" and "The Ann Sothern" show?
There's a handful of later-season eps from "Private Secretary" which have been seen on DVD in the past (under the show's "Susie" syndication title) but nothing else. And "The Ann Sothern Show" (which reunited Ms Sothern with her "Secretary" co-stars Ann Tyrell, Jesse White and Don Porter) features a wonderful episode where Lucille Ball makes a crossover appearance as 'Lucy Ricardo'.
And how about Eve Arden's 50's TV vehicles, "Our Miss Brooks" and "The Eve Arden Show"?
Do you think there's a market for these shows? Perhaps Shout Factory may give them a chance if CBS doesn't?

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
I hate to be a downer because I'd be interested in these, but being B&W and not syndicated for decades, I don't know there's much of a chance for these--at least not from CBS. Maybe Timeless would put them out--if there's a market for Loretta Young I'm sure there would be one for these.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Yeah, I imagine these would be a longshot for a release, especially from CBS/Paramount directly (short of some sort of MOD program), however... I'm not entirely sure of this, but, wasn't THE ANN SOUTHERN SHOW part of the regular line-up in the early days of Nick@Nite? If so, I'd guess that would mean they at least got a standard 1980s-style video tape transfer of the materials for broadcast, so maybe that could be a source for some hope that, while far from HD, maybe an outfit like Shout/Timeless or MPI could wrangle a licensed release deal from CBS/Paramount, if they thought there was a decent enough market for it.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Both Private Secretary and The Ann Sothern Show are controlled by Fox. What that means is that either you had to have recorded them from Nick or else find someone who did. Our Miss Brooks is CBS but its never been transfered to tape so it would entail going back and mastering it. Not likely for a show so old that has never had a national cable run. The Eve Arden Show is PD. I believe one of the cheapo companies like Alpha may have put a few episodes out. The full run exists but there really isn't any company doing those kinds of old, obscure 50s sitcoms these days. No market for it I'm afraid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks