What's new

Popular Shows not on DVD & Not airing anywhere (1 Viewer)

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Bob_S. said:
Valerie/The Hogan Family. This show lasted 6 seasons. Why isn't it on dvd yet? Could Valerie Harper possibly have something to do with it?
Warner Bros. still harbors a grudge against Valerie and the show since she would stand to profit from a DVD release, including the Sandy Duncan episodes in which she doesn't appear.

t2smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Toby
Valerie is probably the only show listed that I used to watch as an 80's kid. The only other show I can think of that is even close to qualifying is The Fall Guy, but they did release season 1 on DVD. I haven't seen that show air on TV anywhere in at least twenty years. Luckily most shows that I grew up with and have a desire to watch again can either be found in syndication or with all seasons on DVD, although the DVDs may not have all the original music.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
t2smith said:
Luckily most shows that I grew up with and have a desire to watch again can either be found in syndication or with all seasons on DVD, although the DVDs may not have all the original music.

To quote Mathew Broderick from Wargames, "There are ways around that." :laugh:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Kasey said:
Warner Bros. still harbors a grudge against Valerie and the show since she would stand to profit from a DVD release, including the Sandy Duncan episodes in which she doesn't appear.
It was Lorimar she sued. This was before Warner Communications bought them out.*

*They weren't the only one involved in a lawsuit. Donna Reed sued them, but her death would have rendered the contract moot anyway. Eventually, all the money co-founder Merv Adelson made from the studio went bye-bye. It's just like something out of a prime-time soap opera. The humorous moments on those shows were funnier than their sitcoms, frankly.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Neil Brock said:
The funny thing is that we have these new networks popping up like RTV, Antenna, Cozi, ME-TV, Heroes and Icons, Decades and hopefully soon the Quad networks. Yet they seem to be recycling the same shows between them. So much more could be done with these channels. I'm not even talking about the obscure, unsyndicated shows but what about things like Police Story, The Rookies, Family, Baretta, Owen Marshall, Felony Squad, NYPD, Bracken's World, Judd for the Defense, Room 222, Police Woman, Phyllis, The Tony Randall Show. There's no originality with these channels.
Valid point but one I don't entirely agree with. I've been watching a lot of ME-TV lately and while there are plenty of retreads, there is a wealth of programming I never saw in syndication growing up in the 80's. The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis, Naked City, Donna Reed and a host of others. We didn't have cable so it was all what was aired locally. I'm sure some of these played on cable but I never got to see them and I'm sure others could say the same.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I'd love to see 'NYPD' and 'Felony Squad' both released on DVD

also was 'Project UFO' (1978-79) ever issued ? - Amazon.com show the entire two seasons were up for a release in 'all regions' format back in 2013 but it's listed as 'currently unavailiabe'

- did it ever get a DVD release ?

Jack Webb Produced this interesting semi-documentary investigative show re what the USAF 'Project Bluebook' SHOULD have been (as opposed to the 'PR' excercise it seems it actually was...) starring first William Jordan as Major Jake Gatlin & later Edward Winter as Capt. Ben Ryan both assisted by Caskey Swaim as Sgt Harry Fitz & a lovely secretary named 'Libby'

The show based itself upon famous UFO accounts & featured alot of well known guest stars (Lief Erickson, Cameron Mitchell, & Mark Slade of 'High Chaparral' each guested, plus Henry Jones, Michael Strong, Pamela Franklin, Andrew Prine, Andrew Duggan, Malachi Throne, Whit Bissell, etc....)

t2smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Toby
I just remembered Step by Step with Patrick Duffy and Suzanne Somers. It's not currently on the air anywhere that I can find and none of the seasons have been released on DVD. There was one DVD released with six episodes that is now out of print.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"Project UFO" did not get a DVD release. There was and apparently still is some confusion over who owns the rights. It was produced by Webb after he severed ties to Universal and was done with Worldvision which should theoretically put it under CBS's control but there was some statement by them at one point (I forget when) saying they didn't own the rights.

Collectively, "Project UFO" was only two half-seasons of episodes so if it were ever released it should be done as a single "Complete Series" set which would be no different than one full season's worth. The first season with William Jordan is much better since the problem with Ed Winter (who guest starred in a different role in S1) is that after seeing him on "MASH" he was impossible to take seriously as a strait-laced military officer.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
I may be alone in this, but my fond recollections of 'The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd' has me wishing for a release or resurrection of any kind. It's a style, from the 1980s, of show that may not age well, but I enjoyed it immensely. I've seen hide nor hair of it since the original run.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
"The Yellow Rose" did not air for three seasons.

Does it meet the other criteria? Popular? Not on DVD? Not airing anywhere?

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Dave B Ferris said:
"The Yellow Rose" did not air for three seasons.

Does it meet the other criteria? Popular? Not on DVD? Not airing anywhere?

The Yellow Rose only lasted 1 season, so I wouldn't call it popular. Also, it's been out on DVD for several years. So it wouldn't fit this thread.

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I just pulled out my Yellow Rose DVD set yesterday. It was a Warner Archive MOD released a few years back. IIRC, it aired in 83-84 on NBC & was rerun by the network in 1990. But alas, it doesn't fit the criteria here.

I struggle to think of shows that fit here due to the 'popular' aspect of the criteria.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Jack P said:
"Project UFO" did not get a DVD release. There was and apparently still is some confusion over who owns the rights. It was produced by Webb after he severed ties to Universal and was done with Worldvision which should theoretically put it under CBS's control but there was some statement by them at one point (I forget when) saying they didn't own the rights.

Collectively, "Project UFO" was only two half-seasons of episodes so if it were ever released it should be done as a single "Complete Series" set which would be no different than one full season's worth. The first season with William Jordan is much better since the problem with Ed Winter (who guest starred in a different role in S1) is that after seeing him on "MASH" he was impossible to take seriously as a strait-laced military officer.

Although the DVD rights may be murky/confusing, the show was in worldwide syndication within the last 10-15 years. I have PAL VHS tapes from the UK's Sci-Fi Channel to prove it!

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
As I have never bothered with MASH I have no problem with Edward Winter as Capt. Ryan - I thought he was fine in Project UFO

an actor being a 'comedic' figure in one show, and seriously dramatic in another is no problem for me

just compare Leslie Neilsen in The Bold Ones: 'The Protectors' as Lt. Sam Danforth and as Sgt. Frank Dreben Detective Lt (?) in 'Police Squad (in color)' !

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
JayHink said:
I just pulled out my Yellow Rose DVD set yesterday. It was a Warner Archive MOD released a few years back. IIRC, it aired in 83-84 on NBC & was rerun by the network in 1990. But alas, it doesn't fit the criteria here.

I struggle to think of shows that fit here due to the 'popular' aspect of the criteria.
Thanks.

When it was noted in the first response that it has been out on DVD for several years, I was trying to remember whether I had ever seen it in a brick-and-mortar store. Now I know why the answer is "no".

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
B.J. and the Bear fits the criteria. It went for 3 seasons, has not seen an "official" DVD release and isn't airing in syndication anywhere that I know of.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Neil Brock said:
Shows not on DVD and which have not run anywhere in a long time. All of them ran for 3 seasons or more.

Love That Bob

Hennesey

The People's Choice

The Farmer's Daughter

Private Secretary

December Bride

Our Miss Brooks

The Ann Sothern Show

Julia

The Gale Storm Show

Life of Riley

Dragnet (1950s)

77 Sunset Strip

Hawaiian Eye

Ben Casey

The Defenders

The Nurses

Trapper John MD

Lou Grant

Sheriff of Cochise

Whirlybirds

I Led 3 Lives

Wild Bill Hickok

The Lineup (San Francisco Beat)
Add Adventures in Paradise to that and you have my most wanted list!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks