Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Ice Station Zebra

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   DP 70

DP 70

Second Unit

• 444 posts

Posted October 04 2012 - 01:18 AM

The review on DVD Beaver says 2.35.1 but the back of the cover on Amazon is 2.2.1. the DVD was great so this should be one of the best. I should be getting this next week.

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   Cinema Squid

Cinema Squid

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted October 04 2012 - 03:17 AM

Quickly measuring one of their screenshots shows a dimension of ~1920x872, so the aspect ratio is 2.20:1.

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   DP 70

DP 70

Second Unit

• 444 posts

Posted October 07 2012 - 08:42 PM

Good review over @ Blu ray.com.

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   DP 70

DP 70

Second Unit

• 444 posts

Posted October 12 2012 - 11:01 PM

This is a great transfer, I would like The Great Race next.

#5 of 22 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,853 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 12 2012 - 11:33 PM

Beautiful transfer of one of favorite films.  WHV has done a great a job with this.  I expected no less as the the DVD was also very good.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,929 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted October 13 2012 - 12:20 AM

Yes - stunning PQ on Ice Station Zebra. Thanks Warner!

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   Walsh61

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted October 13 2012 - 01:38 AM

Ditto here!

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 690 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted October 13 2012 - 02:23 AM

This is a great transfer, I would like The Great Race next.

Ditto

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   DP 70

DP 70

Second Unit

• 444 posts

Posted October 13 2012 - 07:43 AM

I would also like to see a BD of Khartom, they did make a 70mm Ultra Panavision DTS print i saw at Bradford a few years ago.

#10 of 22 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,853 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 13 2012 - 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by DP 70 

I would also like to see a BD of Khartom, they did make a 70mm Ultra Panavision DTS print i saw at Bradford a few years ago.

Agree with you, but that would come from MGM.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   JoeBond

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted October 13 2012 - 12:44 PM

I have to agree with everyone else that this is an excellent transfer. Though not really surprising since the DVD was pretty good for a DVD. Funnily enough I bought the only copy Barnes and Noble had and they were the only store around where I live that had it. Wal-mart, Best Buy, and Target didn't have it at all. Kinda of sad that Best Buy doesn't have a catalog release like this on release day.

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 836 posts

Posted October 13 2012 - 02:35 PM

Kinda of sad that Best Buy doesn't have a catalog release like this on release day.

You can say that again.

#13 of 22 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,077 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 13 2012 - 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Doctorossi 

You can say that again.

It's only going to get worse if BB doesn't turn it around and survive their financial situation.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,398 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted October 14 2012 - 03:34 AM

Khartoum has been shown on MGMHD in the full 2.76:1 Ultra Panavision aspect ratio.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts

Posted March 22 2014 - 03:33 AM

POPULAR

Late to the party on this but I watched Ice Station Zebra last night and all I can say is WOW...it looked like it was shot yesterday. What a great looking blu, I'm betting Howard Hughes would have had this playing on a continuous loop were he still with us. 

• davidHartzog, atfree and ROclockCK like this

#16 of 22 ONLINE   Mark McSherry

Mark McSherry

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted March 22 2014 - 05:24 AM

What raises ICE STATION ZEBRA to an even higher level is Michel Legrand's score. I'm sure that was a major reason for the Howard Hughes fixation.

If you have a dollar, William Hillman has published his recollections on Kindle in "Zebra's Rock and Me"- a reminiscence of working with the cast and crew.

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,178 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted March 22 2014 - 01:56 PM

Late to the party on this but I watched Ice Station Zebra last night and all I can say is WOW...it looked like it was shot yesterday. What a great looking blu, I'm betting Howard Hughes would have had this playing on a continuous loop were he still with us. 

Since I've never encountered a submarine movie that I wouldn't be willing to watch at least once, I've seen most of them. And among the top drawer handful which shot the moon on picture and sound quality, like ISZ did, I've seen the thing nearly a dozen times. Call me "Howard Hughes-Lite" with this baby.

So I was equally impressed with this Blu-ray release - I still say it must have been a 4k job despite no specific confirmation by WB, at least that I'm aware of - and I tub thump for this disc every chance I get. For my tastes, this was neither the best nor worst movie ever presented in 70mm CINERAMA, but it remains a rollicking good tale of cold war brinksmanship, with beautiful production values.

Glad you found another appreciative home for it. I wish more would. Great work by WB.  

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 942 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted March 23 2014 - 12:27 AM

This was one of the first films I saw at the cinema and has always been a favourite. The blu-ray is spectacular, another example of a large format film well treated by the studio. I am just about to watch Gunfight at the OK Corral, another large format film (VistaVision) and also, like ISZ made by one of the best action directors, John Sturges.

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,259 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 08:20 AM

I saw this at the Warner Cinerama Theater in NYC when it first came out. Then as now (having seen the Blu-ray), my feeling is that it is a terrific thriller up until the intermission. After that, what we have are inexplicably phony-looking indoor arctic sets, which are so obvious with their fake snow and bergs that they take me right out of the picture. The budget this film must have had should have allowed for more realistic sets.

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,178 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted March 23 2014 - 11:12 AM

John Sturges had an impressive history conveying rough and tough "grittiness" on screen, so I never believed for a second that his abstracted and corrupted red-white-blue colour scheme for those Arctic scenes was anything other than intentional. I actually like how those icy vistas were shot...somehow their bold (yet tastefully controlled) palette served the cold war meta story better....graphic novel style.

Most audiences would agree with you though Rick. I can even recall reviews at the time decrying the setbound feel of the film's climax. But I never tire of watching that dynamic comic book look in action.  

• Reggie W and Walsh61 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users