What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm going to do my best here not to fall into various potential traps in reviewing WB's new 4k UHD release of Mr. Friedkin's The Exorcist.

There have been numerous variants of the film created for the past half century, with changes to color timing, effects, audio platforms, et al.

AFAIK, there are no true reference prints, although there should be a timed IP, that might be helpful toward finding the original color scheme, if that is what WB and the filmmakers desired to reproduce.

Therefore, this review will be based upon a single attribute. That being, how will this disc be perceived by virgin viewers, with no previous knowledge of the film and it's various incarnations.

And for those viewers, aside from what I consider to be a horrid cover design, the film should hold up beautifully.

Color and densities "work," as do black levels and shadow detail, although they may not be accurate to the original release. Grain looks proper for Eastman 5254.

Both cuts are included, with the extended using an Atmos track. The original logo has been replaced with something special - not certain if it's new to this releases. I've not researched.

The Atmos track is proscenium filling and works beautifully. One might presume that it's derived from the 1979 70mm release, but one shouldn't presume anything with this project, I shall follow that tenet.

Image – 5 (HDR)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Definitely

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - 2

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Great, mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I'm thinking of watching the theatrical cut first since it's been years since I last watched it. Next month, I'll watch the other version.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Before the offical release, there were focus audiences for it, to gage audiance response. Word got back to me that they were doing one in Studio City, so 3 of my freinds and I went from the Valley and attended it. It had all the Freaky scenes, and by the time the audience let out people were praying and crossing themselves, and it derfinatly made the hair on the back of my neck stand up several times!!
To this day, I'm a hard pass on it, it was that good!!

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Looking forward to upgrading yet another classic. Although I normally brush asides complaints about cover art - after all, I only see the spine on my shelf, and it's the disc inside I'm interested in - this time, I'm going to opt for the UK version, which has the original theatrical poster art. Have no idea what the US Warner Bros. marketing dept. were smoking, when they opted for that one. Even the worst Criterion covers from LaserDisc days are design masterpieces, compared to that.

bobclampett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Banks
Looking forward to upgrading yet another classic. Although I normally brush asides complaints about cover art - after all, I only see the spine on my shelf, and it's the disc inside I'm interested in - this time, I'm going to opt for the UK version, which has the original theatrical poster art. Have no idea what the US Warner Bros. marketing dept. were smoking, when they opted for that one. Even the worst Criterion covers from LaserDisc days are design masterpieces, compared to that.
We‘re on the same page. Ordered mine from the UK too. That cover art does a true disservice to what this movie is and was about to 1973 movie goers.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I read comments on another site where people are claiming the VHS is the color standard for the film and how it was originally shown. Image caps were posted. :oops:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My vote is the 1982 Selectavision disc. That was likely the first home video release and closest to the theatrical release so it must be the closest video match. Right? ;)

1694739131524.jpeg

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
I saw the film upon initial release. The image seemed quite grainy, bluish, with toned down color. I am thinking of the scenes in Regan's bedroom where it was freezing. It was also freezing outside the theater, in the 20s if I remember, in February in New York. And the line outside was at least an hour.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Haven't seen the disc yet, but my digital copy on iTunes has been updated to what is apparently an HD downres of the new remaster, complete with a new 5.1 track that sounds like it was based on the remix made for the 2000 extended version (considerably different from the six-track mix from 1979). I'm guessing that's derived from the new Atmos track.

I've never been a big fan of that remix, so I really hope the mono track on the UHD is authentic. :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I saw the film upon initial release. The image seemed quite grainy, bluish, with toned down color. I am thinking of the scenes in Regan's bedroom where it was freezing. It was also freezing outside the theater, in the 20s if I remember, in February in New York. And the line outside was at least an hour.
The interesting thing is that the majority of the prints we viewed at an original release probably had little relevance to the approved answer print.

It was just a print with color good enough to be commercially acceptable.

Actual reference on most films is a rara avis.

Ignacio

Agent
Real Name
Ignacio Aguilar
Haven't seen the disc yet, but my digital copy on iTunes has been updated to what is apparently an HD downres of the new remaster, complete with a new 5.1 track that sounds like it was based on the remix made for the 2000 extended version (considerably different from the six-track mix from 1979). I'm guessing that's derived from the new Atmos track.

I've never been a big fan of that remix, so I really hope the mono track on the UHD is authentic. :)

I'm glad that we finally will have the original mono mix, but will also miss the stereo track derived from the 1979 70mm mix. I believe that was available only in the DVD from the late 90's that was released sometime before the extended cut.

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
< googles 'proscenium' ... >

I'm never too old to learn something.

Thank you, this is one of the few horror movies that got into my psyche. I remember a re-release in theaters when I was a young, still impressionable adult (perhaps 19). Somehow I had seen the movie before - probably on VHS, but that walk home from the theater to an empty house is still with me today.

I look forward to seeing it again as an old, horror-movie hardened enthusiast.

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I don't follow with makes use of and works well in 4k-7, with upgrade from blu-ray definitely?
I read the 'works well with 4k' as Mr. Harris' impression of how much the film benefits from 4k resolution.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Do we know whether Friedkin and/or Roizman approved this new master before they passed?

Friedkin and Roizman were both credited as approving the Blu-ray master, which was released after they'd mended fences following their feud over The French Connection Blu-ray. My assumption is that the 4K would be based on that work. If Friedkin alone came in to supervise another, separate transfer for 4K, then we should all expect it to be revisionist as hell. Left unchecked, Friedkin liked to fiddle with all the video settings he could get his hands on.

I'll be honest, some of the comments in RAH's review leave me concerned. Specifically:

Color and densities "work," as do black levels and shadow detail, although they may not be accurate to the original release.

The Atmos track is proscenium filling and works beautifully. One might presume that it's derived from the 1979 70mm release, but one shouldn't presume anything with this project,

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Friedkin and Roizman were both credited as approving the Blu-ray master, which was released after they'd mended fences following their feud over The French Connection Blu-ray. My assumption is that the 4K would be based on that work. If Friedkin alone came in to supervise another, separate transfer for 4K, then we should all expect it to be revisionist as hell. Left unchecked, Friedkin liked to fiddle with all the video settings he could get his hands on.
I don't like to make assumptions anymore, but I've read several reviews alluding to novel colors during the exorcism sequence, and the described revisionism would be consistent with Friedkin's MO.

John Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Gilmore
I don't like to make assumptions anymore, but I've read several reviews alluding to novel colors during the exorcism sequence, and the described revisionism would be consistent with Friedkin's MO.
I'd be interested to hear what folks who have the 4k disc already (or have The Exorcist on iTunes, which is using the new master at 1080p) think of the subway scene in the early part of the film

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks