What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Announcement: Gentleman Jim (1942) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1698275960451.png

Coming to Blu-ray December 12th!

NEW 2023 1080p HD Master from 4K Scan of Original nitrate camera negative.

GENTLEMAN JIM (1942)

Run Time: 104 Minutes
Subtitles: ENGLISH SDH
Audio Specs: DTS HD-MA 2.0
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.37:1 with Side Mattes
Product color: B&W
Disc Configuration-BD 50

Directed by Raoul Walsh
Cast: Errol Flynn, Alexis Smith, Jack Carson, Alan Hale, Ward Bond
Special Features: Classic Warner Bros. Cartoons: “THE DOVER BOYS AT PIMENTO UNIVERSITY” (HD), “FONEY FABLES” (HD), “HOBBY HORSE-LAFFS” (HD), Audio-only Lady Esther Screen Guild Playhouse (2/14/1944) Radio Broadcast with Errol Flynn and Alexis Smith; Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Looking lithe and lean, and more handsome than should be allowed by law, Errol Flynn was never better suited to a role than the legendary boxer James J. “Gentleman Jim“ Corbett. Indeed, this rousing screen biography captures the essence of two colorful personalities – Flynn and Corbett – at the height of their careers. Set primarily against the backdrop of the 1880’s San Francisco, the film follows Corbett’s rise from bank clerk to world champion. With his lightning quick punches and dance-like footwork, the glib, cocky Irishman revolutionized the heretofore illegal prizefighting game, elevating it from the bare knuckle brawling to the sport of skill it is today. An excellent supporting cast of Warner Bros. favorites features the lovely Alexis Smith, the always hearty Alan Hale, and the irresistible bluster of Ward Bond, whose unforgettable portrayal of the great John L Sullivan will touch your heart. For Flynn at his best and an arousing, sometimes wistful look back at professional boxing early days, Gentleman Jim ranks as one of the finest of many biographical classics to come out of the golden age at Warner Bros.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
A personal favorite Errol Flynn movie.
Yup. I have been waiting for this for soooo long! This may be my favorite Raoul Walsh film. And yes, Erroll Flynn is perfection; funny, virile, passionate and more agile than a dozen Baryshnikovs. Self-aware, yet completely in the moment.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Although a fine supporting cast average cast, I love the interaction between Flynn and Ward Bond as The one and only aging champ, John L Sullivan...himself!!
And of course teaming once again with his old buddy Alan Hale Sr.

Attachments

• MV5BYTA4ZjAzNTMtMmM5MS00YjMzLTgxNWMtYTEyNTg0MDBiN2E3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEyNTM4MzQy._V1_.jpg
    MV5BYTA4ZjAzNTMtMmM5MS00YjMzLTgxNWMtYTEyNTg0MDBiN2E3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEyNTM4MzQy._V1_.jpg
    695.3 KB · Views: 42

Broomy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
I’ve just noticed - when this was released on DVD it included a Warner Night at the Movies. I wonder why that’s not being included here?

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Although a fine supporting cast average cast, I love the interaction between Flynn and Ward Bond as The one and only aging champ, John L Sullivan...himself!!
And of course teaming once again with his old buddy Alan Hale Sr.
This is one of many great Ward Bond supporting roles. Too many to mention really, but three off the top of my head (in addition to this one) are Tall In The Saddle, Long Voyage Home and The Quiet Man. But as I say, there are so many more!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
This is one of many great Ward Bond supporting roles. Too many to mention really, but three off the top of my head (in addition to this one) are Tall In The Saddle, Long Voyage Home and The Quiet Man. But as I say, there are so many more!
He was amazing in all his films but the Priest in Quiet Man is classic!!!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just watched this Blu-ray release in its entirety. The video presentation is pristine and looks significantly better than the iTunes HD digital and the 2007 DVD. The same in regard to listening to the audio presentation, big improvement over those other home video formats.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One more thing, the video presentation is so detailed, on some long shots, you can tell Freddie Steele was boxing in place of Flynn. On the waist down shots of Flynn's footwork in the movie, it was actually Steele being filmed. The former middleweight champion appeared in a number of movies including Black Angel, G.I. Joe, Desperate, Hail the Conquering Hero and Gentleman Joe Palooka.

1702601100299.png

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I just watched this Blu-ray release in its entirety. The video presentation is pristine and looks significantly better than the iTunes HD digital and the 2007 DVD. The same in regard to listening to the audio presentation, big improvement over those other home video formats.
Glad to hear. OCN derived.

And Flynn’s favorite of his films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks