What's new

Ice Station Zebra (1 Viewer)

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
The review on DVD Beaver says 2.35.1 but the back of the cover on Amazon is 2.2.1.
the DVD was great so this should be one of the best.
I should be getting this next week.

Cinema Squid

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Thoman
Quickly measuring one of their screenshots shows a dimension of ~1920x872, so the aspect ratio is 2.20:1.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
This is a great transfer, I would like The Great Race next.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Beautiful transfer of one of favorite films. WHV has done a great a job with this. I expected no less as the the DVD was also very good.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I would also like to see a BD of Khartom, they did make a 70mm Ultra Panavision DTS print i saw at Bradford a few years ago.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by DP 70 /t/324214/ice-station-zebra#post_3988187
I would also like to see a BD of Khartom, they did make a 70mm Ultra Panavision DTS print i saw at Bradford a few years ago.
Agree with you, but that would come from MGM.

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
I have to agree with everyone else that this is an excellent transfer. Though not really surprising since the DVD was pretty good for a DVD. Funnily enough I bought the only copy Barnes and Noble had and they were the only store around where I live that had it. Wal-mart, Best Buy, and Target didn't have it at all. Kinda of sad that Best Buy doesn't have a catalog release like this on release day.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Doctorossi /t/324214/ice-station-zebra#post_3988315
You can say that again.
It's only going to get worse if BB doesn't turn it around and survive their financial situation.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
DP 70 said:
Khartoum has been shown on MGMHD in the full 2.76:1 Ultra Panavision aspect ratio.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Late to the party on this but I watched Ice Station Zebra last night and all I can say is WOW...it looked like it was shot yesterday. What a great looking blu, I'm betting Howard Hughes would have had this playing on a continuous loop were he still with us.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
What raises ICE STATION ZEBRA to an even higher level is Michel Legrand's score. I'm sure that was a major reason for the Howard Hughes fixation.

If you have a dollar, William Hillman has published his recollections on Kindle in "Zebra's Rock and Me"- a reminiscence of working with the cast and crew.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Reggie W said:
Late to the party on this but I watched Ice Station Zebra last night and all I can say is WOW...it looked like it was shot yesterday. What a great looking blu, I'm betting Howard Hughes would have had this playing on a continuous loop were he still with us.
Since I've never encountered a submarine movie that I wouldn't be willing to watch at least once, I've seen most of them. And among the top drawer handful which shot the moon on picture and sound quality, like ISZ did, I've seen the thing nearly a dozen times. Call me "Howard Hughes-Lite" with this baby.

So I was equally impressed with this Blu-ray release - I still say it must have been a 4k job despite no specific confirmation by WB, at least that I'm aware of - and I tub thump for this disc every chance I get. For my tastes, this was neither the best nor worst movie ever presented in 70mm CINERAMA, but it remains a rollicking good tale of cold war brinksmanship, with beautiful production values.

Glad you found another appreciative home for it. I wish more would. Great work by WB.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
This was one of the first films I saw at the cinema and has always been a favourite. The blu-ray is spectacular, another example of a large format film well treated by the studio. I am just about to watch Gunfight at the OK Corral, another large format film (VistaVision) and also, like ISZ made by one of the best action directors, John Sturges.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I saw this at the Warner Cinerama Theater in NYC when it first came out. Then as now (having seen the Blu-ray), my feeling is that it is a terrific thriller up until the intermission. After that, what we have are inexplicably phony-looking indoor arctic sets, which are so obvious with their fake snow and bergs that they take me right out of the picture. The budget this film must have had should have allowed for more realistic sets.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
John Sturges had an impressive history conveying rough and tough "grittiness" on screen, so I never believed for a second that his abstracted and corrupted red-white-blue colour scheme for those Arctic scenes was anything other than intentional. I actually like how those icy vistas were shot...somehow their bold (yet tastefully controlled) palette served the cold war meta story better....graphic novel style.

Most audiences would agree with you though Rick. I can even recall reviews at the time decrying the setbound feel of the film's climax. But I never tire of watching that dynamic comic book look in action.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks