What's new

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
It doesn't seem like anyone is claiming that they're willing to die on this particular hill. They're just expressing their feeling that the original studio card is part of the movie. I, for example, would get annoyed when watching a United Artists film from, say, the 1970s, with a master created by MGM, start off with the (usually modern day) Leo the Lion card, and then a spiffy new UA card complete with URL. But I don't take it back to the store and demand my money back, or refuse to buy any further UA releases because of it. It's an annoyance, but not a deal-breaker.
Yep. Preserving film or art isn't about keeping the parts one doesn't mind is gone. The logos and the music placed over them are part of the film and filmmakers have edited them with this in mind. That's why new filmmakers now use old studio logos in certain films for efffect (somebody named Tarantino). That shows somebody cares. Even a film as goofy as CADDYSHACK has one of the great logo and music openings and would feel different minus the spinning Orion stars over those celestial Kenny Loggins voices.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm impressed that you ordered the UK version, as you store a lot of your collection in binders. Also, horror isn't exactly your favourite genre :)
My 4KUHD releases are stored in their original packaging. 4K discs are more susceptible to scratches or dust.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mine is waiting for me back at home. The question I have: does the UK 4K UHD screen menu use the classic cover picture, or have they used the rather ghastly new American cover as the screen menu?
Unfortunately, I have to report that the (UK) 4K/UHD menu uses that ghastly new American cover as the screen menu.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Ack! Really don't understand why they thought any fan of the movie would actually want that for case cover *and* disc menu screen... especially when the old cover art is so iconic, etc. Sheesh! Classic case of don't fix what ain't broke, no?

At least the digital's menu screen could be changed again (to something better or back to the old iconic one) whenever they want. They shoulda made it possible to optionally change disc menu screen art as well -- not completely sure if the format allows for any possible way for that (perhaps w/ some kinda backdoor workaround of some sort)...

_Man_

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Unfortunately, I have to report that the (UK) 4K/UHD menu uses that ghastly new American cover as the screen menu.
OUCH !!! I always thought that the British trademark was to remain as stalwart purists with their traditions and art.

Last edited:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
So finally got my UK copy and I notice it’s an actual true 1.85 transfer. Isn’t that unusual for WB, thought they always went 1.78

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Look what showed up yesterday from across the pond:

View attachment 199865

Mine is waiting for me back at home. The question I have: does the UK 4K UHD screen menu use the classic cover picture, or have they used the rather ghastly new American cover as the screen menu?
Mine arrived Saturday. Mine has nothing on the screen menu which was very odd. And would anyone know why UK cases are deeper in thickness than US cases?
I watched the first 20 mins and very disappointed in the color on this transfer. Love the sharpness though. In the Iraq sequence there is a shot of Max Von Sydow with a brilliant cerulean sky behind him that cuts to a long shot of him and the Pazuzu statue where even though there is dust is the sky the sky behind it is far from that blue. It was never that blue. Then the sequence where Ellen Burstyn is filming at Georgetown U the grass is shamrock green which is ridiculous.
Oh well it’s a revisionist version for modern tastes. I get it. Actually that garish US cover fits this transfer perfectly.
I dread watching the rest

Last edited:

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
To be fair, when the extended version first came out in 2000, Friedkin still maintained that the original cut was his preferred version. It wasn't until the Blu-ray release in 2010 that it officially became known as the "Extended Director's Cut."

That said, I strongly prefer the original 1973 cut. The extended ending is especially disastrous, IMO. As others have noted, that scene works in the book mainly because Kinderman was a bigger character. But onscreen, it just kills the atmosphere for me. It's over; we don't need to hang around listening to them talk about catching a movie together. :)

Put me in the original camp as well. The only thing that should've stayed in the original was the extended scene with Karras and Merrin on the stairs when discussing why evil exist. Blatty wanted it in the film and Friedkin vetoed him and cut it out. The film benefited from that very short exchange. But all the other additional scenes only bloat the film and take away its pacing and intensity.

Real Name
Miguel Ronda Ruiz
The day I saw it in theaters I was horrified by the impact that this great horror classic had on me.

Today I was horrified with the color grading approved for this great movie

I have never understood those who claim to remember what the movie looked like in theaters, but what the hell, today I'm going to make an exception. It's impossible for this to be seen like this in theaters!

They will know what they have approved and why they have done it. To me it just seems like an attack on a classic.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks