What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Press Release: Friendly Persuasion (1956) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
One of my absolute favorite gary cooper movies and am very excited thats its getting released! There is no question that warner has released its top 3 gary cooper films on blu ray in the hanging tree, sergeant york and friendly persuasion. There are still.10 films remaining to be released but none of them in my view are at this level.

1)Today we live
2)One sunday afternoon
3)operator 13
4)saratoga trunk
5)the fountainhead
6)task force
7)bright leaf
8)Dallas
9)springfield rifle
10)the wreak of the mary deare

There are 3 big ones that warner would have to go through samuel goldwyn to release and they are the westerner, ball of fire and pride of the yankees.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
One of my absolute favorite gary cooper movies and am very excited thats its getting released! There is no question that warner has released its top 3 gary cooper films on blu ray in the hanging tree, sergeant york and friendly persuasion. There are still.10 films remaining to be released but none of them in my view are at this level.

1)Today we live
2)One sunday afternoon
3)operator 13
4)saratoga trunk
5)the fountainhead
6)task force
7)bright leaf
8)Dallas
9)springfield rifle
10)the wreak of the mary deare

There are 3 big ones that warner would have to go through samuel goldwyn to release and they are the westerner, ball of fire and pride of the yankees.
I'd love Warner Archive to release Saratoga Trunk on one of their immaculate Blu-ray discs, but I'd be totally astonished because the DVD-R is one of the worst ever in terms of picture quality.

I am, of course, going to buy Friendly Persuasion at the first opportunity.

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
I first saw it in a movie theater in 1956. It was my second favorite movie that year, after Giant. But I prefer the title of the 1945 novel by Jessamyn West: The Friendly Persuasion. For me, the word "The" adds to the meaning of the title. I, too, will be buying this Blu-ray! (Although I don't much care for the top part of the box cover.)

Last edited:

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Of the three samuel goldwyn titles I mentioned the westerner another william wyler directed title had a serious restoration done to it on the last dvd release which was a night and day differance to the previous dvd. That would be my pick for a potential future bluy ray release.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Of the three samuel goldwyn titles I mentioned the westerner another william wyler directed title had a serious restoration done to it on the last dvd release which was a night and day differance to the previous dvd. That would be my pick for a potential future bluy ray release.
Huh?

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
NOT my favorite film nominated from 1956, as I recall. (Ten Commandments). But I don’t remember this film from my marathon, but it’s another best picture nominee and I’m so excited to have it on Blu! Yay for this month’s announcements!
Nor mine either,though I am a huge Wyler fan. THE KING AND I or GIANT should have won,imo. GIANT won Best Director for George Stevens and for the second time in a row he won this Oscar but the film itself lost for Best Picture to lesser movies,imo.
1956 is a favourite year for movies for me, but I am dismayed that CAROUSEL- for which Henry King was a finalist at the Director's Guild Awards and the Ephrons were nominees for their work for the Best Written Musical at the WGA -was not nominated in any category. It's magnificent Alfred Newman orchestrations and Cinemascope cinematography were also overlooked, no doubt because THE KING AND I had been bigger at the box office snd was released later in the year.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I love the scene where the soldiers are taking food and one of them grabs the pet goose, with Dorothy McGuire hitting him on the head with I think a broom to save it before apologizing and explaining that it's a family pet.

Only one from this batch that I'll probably be getting.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Nor mine either,though I am a huge Wyler fan. THE KING AND I or GIANT should have won,imo. GIANT won Best Director for George Stevens and for the second time in a row he won this Oscar but the film itself lost for Best Picture to lesser movies,imo.
1956 is a favourite year for movies for me, but I am dismayed that CAROUSEL- for which Henry King was a finalist at the Director's Guild Awards and the Ephrons were nominees for their work for the Best Written Musical at the WGA -was not nominated in any category. It's magnificent Alfred Newman orchestrations and Cinemascope cinematography were also overlooked, no doubt because THE KING AND I had been bigger at the box office snd was released later in the year.
Myself, although I LOVE 80 DAYS, I think the epic masterpiece 10 COMMANDMENTS was the best.

I’m sad Heston wasn’t even nominated for it, he was AMAZING. And, I think Yul should have won supporting actor for this, too. I thought his performance here was better, etc, etc.

Giant was a terrific film. Liz, Roc and James was fantastic.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Myself, although I LOVE 80 DAYS, I think the epic masterpiece 10 COMMANDMENTS was the best.

I’m sad Heston wasn’t even nominated for it, he was AMAZING. And, I think Yul should have won supporting actor for this, too. I thought his performance here was better, etc, etc.

Giant was a terrific film. Liz, Roc and James was fantastic.

While I agree that The Ten Commandments was the best of the nominees for 1956, I feel this film gets rather unfairly neglected among the other nominees (I’ve honestly yet to really warm up to Giant). I first saw the film when I was visiting a friend’s relative when we were taking a trip to the Roxy Theatre in New Jersey (at least I’m pretty sure that was the name of the theatre) where said friend played the organ. At the relative’s house, the tv was tuned in to this film at the sequence with Marjorie Main and we ended up watching it to the end and loved it. I’m certainly looking forward to seeing an improved transfer of Friendly Persuasion.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I love the scene where the soldiers are taking food and one of them grabs the pet goose, with Dorothy McGuire hitting him on the head with I think a broom to save it before apologizing and explaining that it's a family pet.

Only one from this batch that I'll probably be getting.
The Nun’s Story is another extraordinary film from this Archive release that should not be overlooked. Great Zinnemann. Both should look like 35mm prints, even in ”lowly” Blu-ray.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
While I agree that The Ten Commandments was the best of the nominees for 1956, I feel this film gets rather unfairly neglected among the other nominees (I’ve honestly yet to really warm up to Giant). I first saw the film when I was visiting a friend’s relative when we were taking a trip to the Roxy Theatre in New Jersey (at least I’m pretty sure that was the name of the theatre) where said friend played the organ. At the relative’s house, the tv was tuned in to this film at the sequence with Marjorie Main and we ended up watching it to the end and loved it. I’m certainly looking forward to seeing an improved transfer of Friendly Persuasion.
The Ten Commandments is the only film from that group that has the honor of still being shown regularly every year on broadcast television.
So much for the Awards and critics which fade away with time...If a film still resonates with audience as The Ten Commandments does, that's what is most important.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The Ten Commandments is the only film from that group that has the honor of still being shown regularly every year on broadcast television.
So much for the Awards and critics which fade away with time...If a film still resonates with audience as The Ten Commandments does, that's what is most important.
I think both Friendly Persuasion and The Nun's Story would resonate with any modern audience with an open mind and civilized values.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Is it? In theory, awards shouldn't have anything to do with popularity but quality though unfortunately that is not always/usually the case. The best film of 1956, John Ford's masterpiece The Searchers didn't get a single Oscar nomination! There are better films from 1956 than the five best picture nominees. In addition to The Searchers, there's The Killing, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, Written On The Wind, Forbidden Planet, Baby Doll, High Society, While The City Sleeps, Lust For Life, The Rainmaker to name a handful.

Of the five nominated films, four were big mainstream "Oscar bait" epics (80 Days, King And I, Ten Commandments, Giant). Only Friendly Persuasion was a small film. As we all know, just because it's popular with audiences, it doesn't mean it's any good (it doesn't mean it's necessarily bad either).

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
I "like" all of the titles discussed for what they are and have no trouble watching them whenever the opportunity presents itself.
However, to equate awards and critical reviews with greatness over lasting value is somewhat shortsighted. The Wizard of Oz would be lost to the dust bin of time if it wasn't for the post release popularity of its message and heart.

Maintaining value for people over many generations of time is one of the strongest indicators we have for assessing greatness in art. As good as Friendly Persuasion is (day one purchase for me), it pales in comparison to to the effect Demille's 1956 magnum opus has had on generations of people the world over.

TTC will air once again during the entire prime time schedule this Saturday March 30 on ABC. It will likely win the nights ratings as it has in the past every year. For a film almost 70 years old, that is a stronger measure of lasting quality and relevance than any one individual's assessment.

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
And we still don't have "Carousel" released on a stand-alone Blu-ray disc!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I think "The Ten Commandments", "The Sound of Music", and "It's A Wonderful Life" are the only films made in the 20th Century that are still shown on network broadcast TV yearly with Commandments being shown for more years than the others. For most of that time the "Ten Commandments " was shown on Sundays, a high viewer night. In the more recent years it has moved to Saturdays, which I assume is now the lowest rated night of TV ( No new scripted series)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks