-

Photo
- - - - -

Warner Night at the Movies

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted May 26 2012 - 06:29 PM

I've liked this feature since it started on VHS 30 years ago. They recreate a full show at a movie theatre by preceding the movie with a newsreel, short subject, cartoons, and trailers from the year the movie came out. This is such a great idea that I think more DVD and Blu Ray releases should do it more often. Particularly Warners, who own a huge catalog of shorts, cartoons and featurettes. I see no reason they can't do it with every film. I'm not adamant that the extra bits be absolutely from the year the movie came out, or even the same studio (MGM or WB) I'd be happy if the cartoons and shorts just matched the theme of the film. In fact, why not make that an option? A year specific set of co-features and another set that matches the theme. For this thread I call on our fellow home theatre enthusiasts to post an entry for each DVD/BRD title that has this feature, naming the extra bits in the order they appear... AND... I encourage our more creative cohorts to suggest movies they'd like to see with this Night at the Movies feature, listing some specific shorts, cartoons, etc. that they think would match the feature to make a good complete show. Now before some overzealous naysayer scampers in here anxious to lift his hind leg on the idea... NO I'm not suggesting that this thread will miraculously convince any studios to start doing this all the time. HOWEVER, a good idea is a good idea, this stuff is fun to play around with and use our imagination on, and, (as we hear that some studio people might look in on this site occasionally) if SOME of this HAPPENS to spark some more creativity in building added value features in the future, so much the better. We can at least have some fun talking about it.

#2 of 21 Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 869 posts

Posted May 27 2012 - 02:26 AM

Please, no. What we'd get is more of what frequently happens now: "Coming soon to DVD" and "Coming soon to theaters" of films that, before too long, will be way outdated. They'll be long since arrived on DVD and long since come to and gone from theaters (and probably long since released on DVD as well). And who will want that recent addition to movie night -- commercials? It was hard enough to get them out; don't let them back in!

#3 of 21 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,370 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted May 27 2012 - 02:59 AM

There's been some very effective little films made (some B, some not), that don't stand any chance of a release. I love this, night out at the pictures idea - support feature, newsreel, cartoon, trailers for next week (I love old trailers), main feature.

#4 of 21 NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted May 27 2012 - 04:43 AM

Please, no. What we'd get is more of what frequently happens now: "Coming soon to DVD" and "Coming soon to theaters" of films that, before too long, will be way outdated. They'll be long since arrived on DVD and long since come to and gone from theaters (and probably long since released on DVD as well). And who will want that recent addition to movie night -- commercials? It was hard enough to get them out; don't let them back in!

And there we have the first raised leg! By that logic, why have DVDs or supplements at all, if they're so easy to mess up? And why have forums like this if people are only going to treat them like a fire hydrant? ; ) The Warner Night at the Movies feature is a playback OPTION, not forced/locked into playing every time. It's not all trailers.

#5 of 21 NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted May 27 2012 - 04:47 AM

There's been some very effective little films made (some B, some not), that don't stand any chance of a release. I love this, night out at the pictures idea - support feature, newsreel, cartoon, trailers for next week (I love old trailers), main feature.

Ah, I agree - and I was going to include Double Features here, but decided to give it a separate thread. I welcome your input there as well.

#6 of 21 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,155 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted May 27 2012 - 05:09 AM

Yikes.  With all due respect, the point and content of the original post was totally misunderstood or misinterpreted up there.

Love the idea.  Absolutely, totally, love it.  There's so much along these lines that could have been done over the years on DVD, and now on BLU, and it seems there's practically zero interest or imagination or incentive on the part of those in the position to put these things out there.  Kudos to WB for having taken a stab at it.  Yes, more, please!

#7 of 21 bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted May 27 2012 - 07:15 AM

It's getting close to the day where movies and shorts can be individual digital files and we can make playlists like this ourselves. I would love to have a movie and tv show library that I could mix and match like I do with music in iTunes.

#8 of 21 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,109 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted May 27 2012 - 08:47 AM

It's getting close to the day where movies and shorts can be individual digital files and we can make playlists like this ourselves. I would love to have a movie and tv show library that I could mix and match like I do with music in iTunes.

Back when DVD was still relatively new, I used to burn DVDs with trailers I got off Apple's trailer website to recreate some of the experience when I'd have people over to watch movies. With Blu-Ray, there's no reason the trailers, news, etc. would necessarily have to become out-of-date. Many recent releases already connect to the internet in order to present trailers not available when the disc was pressed. That same philosophy could be applied to the whole of any pre-screening presentation. Perhaps a menu when the discs first load, presenting the user with the option to either watch the pre-show presentation or skip directly to the disc menu, would alleviate Rick's concerns.

#9 of 21 bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted May 27 2012 - 08:54 AM

Except I wouldn't want modern trailers. I want trailers and shorts contemporary with the classic movies I prefer. We're talking about the supplements on Casablanca and Robin Hood, not current stuff.

#10 of 21 NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted May 27 2012 - 11:39 AM

Except I wouldn't want modern trailers. I want trailers and shorts contemporary with the classic movies I prefer. We're talking about the supplements on Casablanca and Robin Hood, not current stuff.

Fair enough.

#11 of 21 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,687 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 28 2012 - 03:34 PM

I show the following has the Warner Night At the Movies feature:

Blu-Ray

Casablanca

Maltese Falcon, The

Robin Hood

DVD

Hollywood Canteen

Thank Your Lucky Stars

Dawn Patrol

All Through The Night

This Is The Army

Action In The North Atlantic

Passage To Marseille

Across The Pacific

Charge of the Light Brigade

Adventures of Don Juan, The

Gentleman Jim

Torrid Zone

Bride Came C.O.D., The

West Point Story

Captain of the Clouds

Fighting 69th, The

Lady Killer

Smart Money

Mayor of Hell

Brother Orchard

Black Legion

Picture Snatcher

Old Maid, The

Great Lie, The

All This and Heaven Too

In This Our Life

Deception

Watch on the Rhine

Virginia City

San Antonio

Rocky Mountain

Montana

Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse, The

Invisible Stripes

Little Giant

Kid Galahad (37)

Larceny Inc.

Desperate Journey

Edge Of Darkness

Northern Pursuit

Uncertain Glory

There may be a few more, but I do not have those discs.

I am all for Night at the Movies and I wish Warner had put it on some of the older MGM titles also.  Nothing sitting back and watching a short, couple of cartoons, a newsreel or two, and coming attractions.  Of course drinking a glass of wine or a bourbon a Coke is a must.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#12 of 21 NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted May 28 2012 - 03:45 PM

I show the following has the Warner Night At the Movies feature: Blu-Ray Casablanca Maltese Falcon, The Robin Hood DVD Hollywood Canteen Thank Your Lucky Stars Dawn Patrol All Through The Night This Is The Army Action In The North Atlantic Passage To Marseille Across The Pacific Charge of the Light Brigade Adventures of Don Juan, The Gentleman Jim Torrid Zone Bride Came C.O.D., The West Point Story Captain of the Clouds Fighting 69th, The Lady Killer Smart Money Mayor of Hell Brother Orchard Black Legion Picture Snatcher Old Maid, The Great Lie, The All This and Heaven Too In This Our Life Deception Watch on the Rhine Virginia City San Antonio Rocky Mountain Montana Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse, The Invisible Stripes Little Giant Kid Galahad (37) Larceny Inc. Desperate Journey Edge Of Darkness Northern Pursuit Uncertain Glory There may be a few more, but I do not have those discs.  I am all for Night at the Movies and I wish Warner had put it on some of the older MGM titles also.  Nothing sitting back and watching a short, couple of cartoons, a newsreel or two, and coming attractions.  Of course drinking a glass of wine or a bourbon a Coke is a must. 

Wow, nice! Thank you for that! Had no idea they did it on so many titles. I'm not really familiar with 99% of them, so that's probably why I missed them. Can't figure why they haven't bothered to do it with more of the popular or higher profile movies. Did you happen to have that laserdisc box set of MGM short subjects? There were two or three fun ones (Pete Smith, Robert Benchley) about going to the movies. Some have been randomly thrown onto DVDs.

#13 of 21 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,155 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted May 29 2012 - 07:23 AM

Got the three BDs, but I'm not familiar with most of those DVD titles, either.  Had no idea all that was out there!  It IS nice to know they gave them the treatment, so I'll look through those in detail later and maybe pick a few.

#14 of 21 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted May 29 2012 - 07:35 AM

I'm showing "Casablanca" on my outdoor cinema screen this Friday night. I am showing the Warner Night at the Movies version. Hope it goes over well!

#15 of 21 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,155 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted May 29 2012 - 07:37 AM

Are those three the ONLY "big" titles that got the Warner Night at the Movies?

#16 of 21 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,879 posts

Posted May 29 2012 - 08:44 AM

WHV has not released many classic WB films on Blu Ray. Generally, they have not done new special featuers (Casablanca is the exception). As for Night at the Movies, whether the blu has it seems to depend entirely upon whether the DVD had it.

#17 of 21 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,687 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 29 2012 - 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by NY2LA 

Did you happen to have that laserdisc box set of MGM short subjects? There were two or three fun ones (Pete Smith, Robert Benchley) about going to the movies. Some have been randomly thrown onto DVDs.

I got every short subject laserdisc box set from MGM and Warners along with the Kino sets of Paramount shorts they released and still have them.  Since then I have been collecting the short subject collections that WAC released.  I have a real passion for short subjects and looking forward to the WAC Pete Smith Specialties and James Fitzpatrick's Traveltalks.

Most of the Warner Night at the Movies were included on the films that made up the Errol Flynn, Edward G. Robinson, James Cagney, and Humphrey Bogart Collections.  Huge fan of those actors and of all films of the 30's, 40's,50's and 60's.  Also a lot of the 70's.  After that it is a hit or miss for me.  

And as I said, nothing better than a glass of wine or a Jack and Coke and a night with Warner Brothers.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#18 of 21 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,687 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 29 2012 - 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chas in CT 

They only ported the Night at the Movies for they were on the original DVD's.  I am very thankful that they did.

#19 of 21 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Producer

• 4,155 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted May 29 2012 - 02:56 PM

I definitely am, and look forward to exploring some of those others.  And make mine bourbon and soda.

#20 of 21 NY2LA

NY2LA

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted May 29 2012 - 03:14 PM

I got every short subject laserdisc box set from MGM and Warners along with the Kino sets of Paramount shorts they released and still have them.  Since then I have been collecting the short subject collections that WAC released.  I have a real passion for short subjects and looking forward to the WAC Pete Smith Specialties and James Fitzpatrick's Traveltalks.

I didn't know these shorts were available together on DVD. A big favorite is Pete Smith's Movie Pests and Benchley's Night at the Movies (or something like that) Guess I'll have to look at WAC more closely. Have you ever collected theatre concession trailers and drive-in intermission films? I keep hoping Filmack will put out all their classics ("Let's all Go to the Lobby" parade of snack foods and Freudian fun as the dancing weiner leaps into a spread opened bun, etc.) on one disc for Home Theatre fans.