What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Press Release: They Drive By Night (1940) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
428629489_816564663842549_6869025067907350148_n.jpg

Coming from the Warner Archive Collection on Blu-ray this March 26th!
New 2024 HD master from a new 4K Scan of the Original Nitrate Camera Negative
THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT (1940)
BD50
Running Time-95 Minutes
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.37:1 with side mattes
Audio Format: DTS HD MA 2.0
Subtitles: English SDH
SPECIAL FEATURES: Featurette: DIVIDED HIGHWAY-THE STORY OF ‘THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT’, Classic WB Short ‘SWINGTIME IN THE MOVIES. LUX RADIO THEATER BROADCAST (6/2/1941) with George Raft and Lana Turner, Original Theatrical Trailer

Cast: George Raft, Humphrey Bogart, Ann Sheridan, Ida Lupino

George Raft and Humphrey Bogart share a driving ambition in legendary director Raoul Walsh’s classic They Drive by Night, a feisty tale of brothers trying to make it as independent truckers. Ann Sheridan plays a truck-stop waitress dishing both the daily special and the patter, and Ida Lupino is a headstrong executive mixing business and romance with murder. With Bogart again riding shotgun en-route to leading-man stardom (which he would achieve the following year) and Raft at the wheel in one of his finest performances, this sterling example of Warner Bros. social-conscience filmmaking proved a study vehicle for both. It proved even more fortuitous for Miss Lupino: her courtroom breakdown scene made her an “overnight” sensation that landed her a contract with the studio.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Keep in mind that the latter part of the film is a reworking of Bordertown (1935), with Bette Davis in the Lupino role. Same trial scene setup.
Anyway, more Walsh is always welcome, particularly when working off the nitrate negative.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
True but Lupino’s performance is on a level by itself.
What level exactly?
I googled a scene from the movie with her in it....

Ida Lupino Mad Scene

I haven't seen this movie since I was a kid. I remembered liking Ann Sheridan in it, but Ida Lupino? I didn't remember her at all.
Keep in mind that the latter part of the film is a reworking of Bordertown (1935), with Bette Davis in the Lupino role. Same trial scene setup.

Bette's mad scene is at about 1:19:42
Bordertown (1935)

The movie takes a minute to load...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What level exactly?
I googled a scene from the movie with her in it....

Ida Lupino Mad Scene

I haven't seen this movie since I was a kid. I remembered liking Ann Sheridan in it, but Ida Lupino? I didn't remember her at all.
I've watched They Drive by Night a number of times in my childhood and as an adult with my last viewing this past year or so. To me, Ida Lupino's performance in this movie is unforgettable.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Bette was 27 when she filmed Bordertown. Ida was 22 when she made They Drive by Night. Poor Ida is stuck with a terribly written "mad" sequence and she isn't able to do anything with it. I think she was too young to completely understand it or fight to have it rewritten. Watching this sequence is like watching a juvenile actress in an old episode of Twilight Zone. I imagine she was much better in other parts of the movie where she could more effectively relate to her character's situation. Bette is more grounded in her similar but shorter scene.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bette was 27 when she filmed Bordertown. Ida was 22 when she made They Drive by Night. Poor Ida is stuck with a terribly written "mad" sequence and she isn't able to do anything with it. I think she was too young to completely understand it or fight to have it rewritten. Watching this sequence is like watching a juvenile actress in an old episode of Twilight Zone. I imagine she was much better in other parts of the movie where she could relate to her character's situation better. Bette is more grounded in her similar but shorter scene.
We all have opinions and I respectfully disagree with yours about Ida's performance in this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.