What's new

Pre-Order The Maltese Falcon (1941) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Great minds think alike!
giphy (6).gif

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The Maltese Falcon Ultra HD Blu-ray contains the following previously released special features:

• Commentary by Eric Lax
  • “Warner Night at the Movies”
    • “Sergeant York” Trailer
    • “New Highlights of the Roosevelt Churchill Parley” (newsreel)
    • “The Gay Parisian” (1941 WB short)
    • “Meet John Doughboy” (1941 WB cartoon)
  • The Maltese Falcon: One Magnificent Brid
  • Becoming Attractions: The Trailers of Humphrey Bogart
  • Breakdowns of 1941 (WB short)
  • Make-up Tests
  • 2/8/43 Lux Radio Theater Broadcast
  • 9/20/43 Screen Guild Theater Broadcast
  • 7/3/46 Academy Award Theater Broadcast
  • Trailers
    • 1936 “Satan Met a Lady”
    • 1941 “The Maltese Falcon”

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I have The Maltese Falcon single DVD. I've been gradually upgrading my Warner DVDs to Blu-ray. I held off on Falcon because of the schizophrenic review at Blu-ray.com and similar review here at HTF (Sept 30, 2010). With this new 4K, a new regular Blu-ray transfer or encode is unlikely. How do HTF members feel about the 2010 Blu-ray today?

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I have The Maltese Falcon single DVD. I've been gradually upgrading my Warner DVDs to Blu-ray. I held off on Falcon because of the schizophrenic review at Blu-ray.com and similar review here at HTF (Sept 30, 2010). With this new 4K, a new regular Blu-ray transfer or encode is unlikely. How do HTF members feel about the 2010 Blu-ray today?
I did more research. Blu-ray reviews at other sites were more positive than those I cited above. A comparison of Blu-ray vs DVD at caps-a-holic.com revealed similarities but differing brightness, contrast and DVD artifacts (adding artificial texture to smooth surfaces). I would not be surprised if the DVD & Blu-ray were created from the same HD master. For the $10 asked at Amazon I believe it's time for an upgrade. This exercise shows the danger of relying on a single site for purchase decisions!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
  • “Warner Night at the Movies”
    • “Sergeant York” Trailer
    • “New Highlights of the Roosevelt Churchill Parley” (newsreel)
    • “The Gay Parisian” (1941 WB short)
    • “Meet John Doughboy” (1941 WB cartoon)

I wonder if the Technicolor short, The Gay Parisian will be the original (superior) DVD version or the shitty "remaster" from the blu-ray?

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I wonder if the Technicolor short, The Gay Parisian will be the original (superior) DVD version or the shitty "remaster" from the blu-ray?
I recently found that DVD Humphrey Bogart collection--including The Maltese Falcon--in the closet when I was looking for something else and was surprised how much better The Gay Parisian looked.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I recently found that DVD Humphrey Bogart collection--including The Maltese Falcon--in the closet when I was looking for something else and was surprised how much better The Gay Parisian looked.

Pulling my Maltese Falcon blu-ray off the shelf, I was surprised I had turned it into a three-disc set and couldn't figure out for a moment why I kept not only the bonus disc from the original DVD set (with the other two versions on it) but ALSO the original DVD. Then I remembered I kept it for the better version of the short. I don't think I've watched it since, mind you, but I did keep it!

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I watched the DVD this morning. The most glaring issue are the density fluctuations. Were those removed for the Blu-ray? If not, will they likely be removed in the 4K?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks