What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The Maltese Falcon (1941) -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If one were to attempt to select the top noir productions, The 1941, John Huston directed Maltese Falcon would be at or near the top of the list. Unless one is going totally woke, and the film is deep-six'd for smoking or hats.

What we have is an essentially miraculous restoration via Warner's MPI for a number of reasons.

As an extremely popular film, the original camera negative was stored at a less then stellar venue until it was moved to the LoC (thank the merciful blood-stained gods there was no fire), was over-printed and abused.

So for a start, the initial miracle is that it survived.

A new 4k scan of that OCN, proper research into densities, and original grain left to range free adds to the perfection you'll see here.

As to the track, it was likewise dealt with to perfection by the studio sound dept, and is presented as DTS-HD MA 2.0.

One of the greatest films ever created, with a superb (and perfect) cast, magnificent cinematography by Arthur Edeson. I often wonder if Mr. Edeson had seen Citizen Kane, which was shot in 1940, but released only a month before Falcon in 1941, when he exposed ceilings on sets.

Regarding John Huston, who wrote the screenplay based upon the novel (serialization) by Dashiell Hammett, he was off to a good start. Falcon was his first directorial assignment, having previously been retained as a writer (Juarez, High Sierra, Sergeant York).

Looking at the early production history, it seems that the project original planned to have George Raft in the titular role of Mr. Spade, and that would have been a far different film, and one might surmise not the classic that was attained.

Sidney Greenstreet's first role, appearing as Kasper Gutman.

A light application of HDR is actually helpful here, as it helps to capture the appearance of original nitrate prints mit lots of silver.

Nominated for three Academy Awards - Best Picture, Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Mr. Greenstreet), Best Writing, Screenplay.

Everything here is perfection, and for those who run in the 4k crowed, this should be a major addition to one's library. Be aware that the two earlier versions of the film, Satan Met a Lady and The Maltese Falcon, are not included other than trailers, so you'll want to hang on to discs 2 and 3 of the original DVD set.

Adding one more ranking today, based upon both personal experience as well as the perception of how a production stands the test of time, with 10 being the top.

Have I used the term "miraculous disc?"

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS HD-MA 2.0)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Worth your attention - 10

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Absolutely!

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Koro

Auditioning
Real Name
Iain
Thank you for your thoughts, Mr. Harris.
Watched the 4K stream on iTunes on my OLED a few days ago late at night and could hardly believe what I was witnessing. I thought the Blu-ray was good looking when it came out and probably couldn't be bested, but was I ever so wrong! Watching TMF in 4K DV actually made me ask myself "is this why they referred to it as the silver screen?", because of the wonderful shades of grey. My highest recommendation for the 4K and an absolute essential movie to boot.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thank you Mr. Harris. Now at last I'll upgrade from the DVD.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Yes, I watched the old blu-ray master not long ago streaming on HBOmax, but purchased at the link above after this stellar review—and this one here:

It's a shame that Warner Home Video isn't including new remastered blu-rays with these 4K sets, but instead the old inferior blu-rays. Even in this high-end crowd at HTF there are a number who don't yet have 4K set-ups for these releases, but who would benefit from having an improved blu-ray for titles they want. In addition, they'd be "future-proofed" in case they take the plunge into 4K at some point. Must be a small savings for WHV, but it seems penny-wise and pound foolish. Disney's new 4K remastered release of Cinderella also includes the new remaster down-rezzed for blu-ray.

PS The fact that Warner just placed their OCN in the Library of Congress makes me gnash my teeth again that Fox threw all their 3-strip Technicolor OCNs in their dumpster back in the mid-1970s. But given how Disney today ignores almost all of their old Fox titles, probably nothing would have been done with them anyway.

maltese long.jpeg

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Including the old un-remastered blu-ray happens all the time with Warner's new 4K releases of their classic titles.

Somehow it reminds me of how for many years Robert Harris said in perceptive reviews that the Disney animated titles had fine details erased because of excessive use of computerized "grain erasure," and yet Disney kept on doing that with their classic animated titles—year after year. But apparently eventually thoughts from him and others sank in at Disney.

cinderall comparison.jpeg

Also somehow reminds me of how RAH kept telling Warner to stop "letterboxing" or whatever the opening title sequences on films—that it wasn't needed and was distracting. It took years and years for them to stop doing that, but it finally sank in, I guess.

Hope it doesn't take years and years for this to be fixed, but Warner already seems locked into this bad practice for many titles.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Yes, I watched the old blu-ray master not long ago streaming on HBOmax, but purchased at the link above after this stellar review—and this one here:

It's a shame that Warner Home Video isn't including new remastered blu-rays with these 4K sets, but instead the old inferior blu-rays. Even in this high-end crowd at HTF there are a number who don't yet have 4K set-ups for these releases, but who would benefit from having an improved blu-ray for titles they want. In addition, they'd be "future-proofed" in case they take the plunge into 4K at some point. Must be a small savings for WHV, but it seems penny-wise and pound foolish. Disney's new 4K remastered release of Cinderella also includes the new remaster down-rezzed for blu-ray.

PS The fact that Warner just placed their OCN in the Library of Congress makes me gnash my teeth again that Fox threw all their 3-strip Technicolor OCNs in their dumpster back in the mid-1970s. But given how Disney today ignores almost all of their old Fox titles, probably nothing would have been done with them anyway.

View attachment 181230
Two points. A “4k setup” allowing the screening of the new 4k disc only necessitates a player - nothing more - to view in HD. For the studio, it is far more than replication costs. It’s everything from a downrez to a LUT, corrections, compression, creation of the stampers, et al. Those funds are best used toward new restorations.

Fox did not limit their junking to 3-strip. It was the entire nitrate library, with the exception of reference prints.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Just because it happens quite often doesn’t mean their customers shouldn’t call them out about it. It’s a bad business practice towards their customers.

So things have not changed much it seems. I very rarely see that anybody is calling studios out for doing that. I agree that it is not a good situation and ideally it should be called out or at least mentioned for every title where this is happening.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
So things have not changed much it seems. I very rarely see that anybody is calling studios out for doing that. I agree that it is not a good situation and ideally it should be called out or at least mentioned for every title where this is happening.
Huge difference between early and newer Blu-rays, which normally are upgraded.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just ordered this and look forward to watching it. You can say I’ve never seen The Maltese Falcon before. I have an earlier DVD that I watched once a very long time ago. I have the last Warner blu ray too and had intended to watch it, but I waited for this 4K disc. So I don’t really know the plot anymore. I probably have studied the Falcon prop more!

While I am fully 4K capable, I really do wish the included blu ray is an upgraded remaster.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
....A “4k setup” allowing the screening of the new 4k disc only necessitates a player - nothing more - to view in HD. For the studio, it is far more than replication costs. It’s everything from a downrez to a LUT, corrections, compression, creation of the stampers, et al. Those funds are best used toward new restorations....

Understood. It's a conundrum.

Looking it up on Amazon, it seems like a Sony 4K player is currently around $250. Although it would be possible for someone to get that without getting a 4K TV to go along with it, it doesn't seem like that would happen very often. TVs have come down a lot in price, but if that's maybe around $500 it starts to add up. Just as guess, maybe something like half the people on HTF currently have 4K set-ups? And in the broader population of people who buy movies on some physical format, it must be a lot less than that.

I just found this study that says that about 32% of new players in 2022 were 4K....

"The CTA forecast report said that 32% of all video disc players expected to be sold in 2022 will be 4K UHD Blu-ray players."

But anyway, since it costs so much to remaster a new blu-ray, maybe it is better with limited budgets to restore a new movie instead? But the trick is that by not including a remastered blu-ray, maybe something like 70% of possible customers see no reason to get the product at this point, which limits sales, which also cuts budgets. Sort of chicken and egg, perhaps.

Reactions: PMF

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Anyone who has bought a new TV in the past 5+ years is likely 4K capable if they would get a 4K player, and 4K players can be connected to any display to play 4K discs. I play 4K discs just fine on my 1080p TV and projector.

Most of the public just doesn't care that much about high-def PQ. Sales figures being posted at Amazon usually show that the DVD format of a new release is still selling as many or more copies as 4K and Blu-ray formats combined.

alstein

Agent
Real Name
Aron
Thank you for your thoughts, Mr. Harris.
Watched the 4K stream on iTunes on my OLED a few days ago late at night and could hardly believe what I was witnessing. I thought the Blu-ray was good looking when it came out and probably couldn't be bested, but was I ever so wrong! Watching TMF in 4K DV actually made me ask myself "is this why they referred to it as the silver screen?", because of the wonderful shades of grey. My highest recommendation for the 4K and an absolute essential movie to boot.
I purchased the streaming version from iTunes, but have not yet viewed. I have an Apple TV 4K as well as a Sony OLED. Would there be a significant improvement when watching the new 4K blu ray release? Unfortunately, the Canadian release does not include a digital copy. But Amazon Canada still charges about $40 bucks for the 4K blu ray . The USA version costs $23.79 ( equivalent to approximately $32.50 Canadian) and includes a digital code. Why do I feel like we’re being shafted?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
…Unfortunately, the Canadian release does not include a digital copy. But Amazon Canada still charges about $40 bucks for the 4K blu ray . The USA version costs $23.79 ( equivalent to approximately $32.50 Canadian) and includes a digital code. Why do I feel like we’re being shafted?
Try Bay Street Video. They often have better prices than amazon.ca.

Reactions: PMF

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watched this 4K blu ray of The Maltese Falcon last night. I’m thinking maybe I never really did see it before. Perhaps because I’m a fan of Get Smart, and there was so many aspects of the characters in this film thats satirized in Get Smart.

I quite enjoyed this film! It looks great and I never realized it would be considered the first film noir. It was very interesting that the Falcon is merely the Macguffin and it’s only seen at the very end. Having been studying the actual prop from photos of it when it was sold at auction, I cringed when Gutman tries to scrape the paint off it!

I look forward to carrying on with the Bogart films that followed. I’d seen Casablanca several times, but not recently, so it will be interesting to view the 4K. And then I’m interested to following on with the films with Bacall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks