What's new

Pre-Order Rebel Without A Cause (1955) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Ah, now I get it. Mocking the entire promotion. I thought I was immune to RAH’s hooks.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
What does that have to do with “another WB title”? He made a similar comment in the Maltese Falcon thread.
Same story. The information doesn't exist in the extant elements. Think of it in terms of the full statement. Not every film needs to be released in 4K UHD, and such releases can expose shortcomings within the elements.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I have never been a fan of Rebel Without a Cause. East of Eden is another matter. :thumbsup:
How long has it been since you have seen it (RWAC?) It's become one of my favorites. There's something incredibly deep and profound going on in it. And Ray finds a way of visually communicating it. Yes it is as overwrought and hysterical as an opera but I love it for that. There's been nothing like it before or since.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How long has it been since you have seen it (RWAC?) It's become one of my favorites. There's something incredibly deep and profound going on in it. And Ray finds a way of visually communicating it. Yes it is as overwrought and hysterical as an opera but I love it for that. There's been nothing like it before or since.
It's a film I have watched a number of times in my lifetime from the 1960s to my most recent viewing which was a few years ago. The movie just isn't a favorite of mine which doesn't mean I don't think it's a good film. Therefore, I will be purchasing the 4K disc as I've done on every prior home video format.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
It's a film I have watched a number of times in my lifetime from the 1960s to my most recent viewing which was a few years ago. The movie just isn't a favorite of mine which doesn't mean I don't think it's a good film. Therefore, I will be purchasing the 4K disc as I've done on every prior home video format.
I watched it again just a year or two ago, and I think you’re being overly generous. I’ll buy it anyway, though, and hope to add East of Eden in 4K.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched it again just a year or two ago, and I think you’re being overly generous. I’ll buy it anyway, though, and hope to add East of Eden in 4K.
That's film appreciation for you as every one has their own opinion.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Note: I just found out the posted artwork is for the U.K. which is the reason why there is no digital code mentioned on the packaging.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Back in 1969 a friend who was working with Sal Mineo told me that Sal had never seen Rebel.

He was having a gathering and I offered to screen a 16mm print for the group. After the film, Sal explained to me that he was unable to watch the film 14 years earlier, as his friend James Dean had just been lost. Whether accurate or not, I’ve no idea.

Much baggage goes along with this wonderful film, inclusive of an apparent “affair” between Wood (16 or 17 at the time) and director Ray, who was 27 years her senior. Today, that could create headlines.

Regardless, a rather extraordinary film, especially for its time, that should take on a new life in 4k - and by that I don’t mean 4k information, but rather whatever info is on the film will appear more highly resolved than ever before.

Looking forward to this one, Should be 2.55.

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Back in 1969 a friend who was working with Sal Mineo told me that Sal had never seen Rebel.

He was having a gathering and I offered to screen a 16mm print for the group. After the film, Sal explained to me that he was unable to watch the film 14 years earlier, as his friend James Dean had just been lost. Whether accurate or not, I’ve no idea.

Much baggage goes along with this wonderful film, inclusive of an apparent “affair” between Wood (16 or 17 at the time) and director Ray, who was 27 years her senior. Today, that could create headlines.

Regardless, a rather extraordinary film, especially for its time, that should take on a new life in 4k - and by that I don’t mean 4k information, but rather whatever info is on the film will appear more highly resolved than ever before.

Looking forward to this one, Should be 2.55.
There were rumors that Ray was also having an affair with MINEO at this time as well,,,

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
There were rumors that Ray was also having an affair with MINEO at this time as well,,,
Well, add Gavin Lambert to that list as he claimed as his assistant he was involved with Nick Ray around that time as well.

That being said - I am very happy for this release if only to have the wonderful Natalie Wood in 4K..

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1676057563284.png

The Amazon Pre-Order Link is live and the release date is April 18th. Note: Digital Code on artwork.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Rebel Without a Cause Ultra HD Blu-ray contains the following previously released special features:

• Commentary Douglas L. Rathgeb
  • “James Dean Remembered” (1974 TV special)
  • “Rebel Without a Cause: Defiant Innocents” (featurette)
  • “Dennis Hopper: Memories from the Warner Lot” (featurette)
  • Screen Tests
  • Wardrobe Tests
  • Deleted Scenes

stevenHa

Second Unit
Is the included blu ray from the previous edition or is it derived from the same source that was used to create the 4k ?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is the included blu ray from the previous edition or is it derived from the same source that was used to create the 4k ?
The release date is not until April 18th, but based on last week’s 4K/UHD releases of The Maltese Falcon and Cool Hand Luke don’t expect a new Blu-ray derived from the 4K scan. IMO, it’s a disservice to Warners customers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks