#41 of 389 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,697 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted December 06 2009 - 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel59 

By the way Allen, what if Goldwyn and the Gershwins bury PORGY AND BESS again when the time expires with MGM? I wish they'd just transfer the best print they have (it would have to beat my bootleg copy) so we have access to the full version again. There's a legion of folk who would stampede to Tower to get a halfway reasonable version of this film.
What do you mean bury again?  It is still in rights hell for a DVD release.  I have heard that there is interest from the Gershwin estate to allow it to be released, but no one right now wants to deal with the costs, Goldwyn, Gershwins or MGM.  And with MGM on the auction block, it will and would never happen under their banner.

My comment was that if the Goldwyn titles get out from under MGM perhaps we will have get some of the great titles that are in that library and not on DVD, such as the Danny Kaye and Eddie Cantor films.  Both of those actors are not represented well in the DVD market.

The only time I have seen PORGY & BESS was a telecast on the ABC Sunday Night Movie back in ????,  So I have never seen it widescreen and heard it in stereo.  I do remember that it made a very lasting impression on me at an early age and to this day I remember a lot of the scenes.  I would love to see it is a glorious legitimate DVD release, but we will never see it under the MGM label and getting out from under them there is a small chance.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#42 of 389 lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 427 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted December 06 2009 - 10:32 AM

I kinda got the impression from Joe and another friend that MGM could release it now if they chose to as they have the rights. As I recall it came on Channel 7 one weeknight in 1974 for its one and only TV broadcast in Melbourne.My email address is  cscope59@yahoo.com if you'd like to know more about the copy I have which is at least Letterboxed.
     I have most of the Kaye and Cantor films on LD. They look very good. (As you probably know Goldwyn saw Kaye as his new Cantor and a few Kaye films are loose remakes of past Cantor hits, eg UP IN ARMS). Would like to see them on dvd too.

#43 of 389 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,697 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted December 06 2009 - 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel59 

I kinda got the impression from Joe and another friend that MGM could release it now if they chose to as they have the rights. As I recall it came on Channel 7 one weeknight in 1974 for its one and only TV broadcast in Melbourne.My email address is  cscope59@yahoo.com if you'd like to know more about the copy I have which is at least Letterboxed.
     I have most of the Kaye and Cantor films on LD. They look very good. (As you probably know Goldwyn saw Kaye as his new Cantor and a few Kaye films are loose remakes of past Cantor hits, eg UP IN ARMS). Would like to see them on dvd too.
I also have the Kaye and Cantor on laserdisc and enjoy them.  I read on another thread that the Gershwin estate was holding up any home video release in the US, not sure about other countries.  As you know, MGM is in terrible financial shape and is obtaining bids for library and other assets.  There is hope that someone will acquire them and do something with the library.  When the agreement with Goldwyn ends, it will be up to them to make a deal or go it alone. 

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#44 of 389 GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted December 07 2009 - 11:18 PM

Other titles released on this date:
- Harry Black and the Tiger (1958): Stewart Granger, Barbara Rush
- Way... Way Out (1966): Jerry Lewis, Connie Stevens, Anita Ekberg
- My Gal Sal (1942): Rita Hayworth, Victor Mature, Carole Landis
- Destination Gobi (1953): Richard Widmark, Don Taylor
- When the Legends Die (1972): Richard Widmark, Frederic Forrest, Luana Anders
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelPires 

And Fox continues to release classics in Spain.

For December (the 2nd) we will have:

- Holy Matrimony (1943): Monty Woolley, Gracie Fields, Laird Cregar;
- Pony Soldier (1952): Tyrone Power, Cameron Mitchell;

- The Roots of Heaven (1958): Errol Flynn, Juliette Greco, Orson Welles;

- The Gift of Love (1958): Lauren Bacall, Robert Stack

#45 of 389 Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,507 posts

Posted December 09 2009 - 11:31 AM

Some very tempting titles there.
Does anybody know if BOY ON A DOLPHIN is Anamorphic/Stereo and how does it look?
I only have a 4:3 pan and scan that I recorded off TV, so I desperately need an upgrade.

#46 of 389 Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted December 09 2009 - 04:09 PM

Quote:
- The Roots of Heaven (1958): Errol Flynn, Juliette Greco, Orson Welles;
Has anyone purchased or rented The Roots of Heaven via the U.S. iTunes store? Is it a new transfer?

I wonder if this DVD release will be the same transfer?

#47 of 389 Livius

Livius

Second Unit

• 407 posts

Posted December 09 2009 - 10:39 PM

The box art here at least indicates that The Roots of Heaven will be anamorphic scope.
Riding the High Country - My Movie Blog

#48 of 389 Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted December 10 2009 - 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livius 

The box art here at least indicates that The Roots of Heaven will be anamorphic scope.
Thanks for the link. Very tempting! I've wanted to see this for ages.

#49 of 389 PaulaJ

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor

• 582 posts

Posted December 10 2009 - 02:34 AM

I bought Untamed (Tyrone Power, Susan Hayward) and the transfer is awful.  Yes, it is 2:35:1, but it's non-anamorphic, as well as pixillated, full of artifacts, blurry -- looks like a bootleg.  I am leery of buying any of these Spanish releases, though I'd sure love to have a widescreen DVD of Pony Soldier, another Power film.
PaulaJ

#50 of 389 RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted December 10 2009 - 02:48 AM

But Pony Soldier is supposed to be in fullscreen, isn't it?

#51 of 389 Livius

Livius

Second Unit

• 407 posts

Posted December 10 2009 - 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelPires View Post

But Pony Soldier is supposed to be in fullscreen, isn't it?
Of course it is.

Riding the High Country - My Movie Blog

#52 of 389 Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted December 10 2009 - 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJ 

I bought Untamed (Tyrone Power, Susan Hayward) and the transfer is awful.  Yes, it is 2:35:1, but it's non-anamorphic, as well as pixillated, full of artifacts, blurry -- looks like a bootleg.  I am leery of buying any of these Spanish releases, though I'd sure love to have a widescreen DVD of Pony Soldier, another Power film.
Thanks for your report. That's very disapointing. It sounds like they just got an old cable TV master.

I suspect that the anamorphic ones will be new transfers.

#53 of 389 PaulaJ

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor

• 582 posts

Posted December 11 2009 - 03:22 AM

My mistake about Pony Soldier -- it's not widescreen.  I forgot it was from 1952. :)

I had been hoping for a third Power box set with his costume/adventure pics (including King of the Khyber Rifles) but it looks like it's not to be. :(

PaulaJ

#54 of 389 Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted December 11 2009 - 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livius 

Yes!!! I'd more or less given up hope of ever getting those. Now if they could get around to releasing The Left Hand of God...

It's rather annoying that the U.S. iTunes store is selling  (or renting) The Left hand of God in what is obviously a very recently made transfer:
http://itunes.apple....718968&s=143441

#55 of 389 Twist

Twist

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted December 12 2009 - 12:00 AM

About dvds Fox and Warner titles available in Spain, but not in other countries, I should clarify that they are not edited directly by the majors but by an intermediate editor (Impulso Records) that do not always use good masters and often provides great disappointments.

The films produced by Warner but edited by Impulso Records are generally of poor quality, without anamorphic enhancement.

The films produced by Fox but edited by Impulse Records usually have better quality, but not always anamorphic.

Some examples:

Warner: "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse" (good material. Anamorphic).

Fox: "The Rains of Ranchipur", "The Roots of Heaven", "The Egiptian", are dvds with acceptable quality and Anamorphic, but other titles, like "The Gift of Love" or "Untamed", respect the original aspect ratio but are not anamorphic; and " Boy on a Dolphin", for example, is not anamorphic and looks pretty bad.

You can find more information and screenshots on these links of mundodvd, forum dedicated to dvd in Spain:
 http://www.mundodvd....ead.php?t=60697
http://www.mundodvd....=warner impulso
http://www.mundodvd....isplay.php?f=25
http://www.mundodvd....666#post1616666

#56 of 389 Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted December 12 2009 - 12:16 AM

Thanks for the links Francisco, much appreciated.

#57 of 389 lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 427 posts

Posted December 23 2009 - 01:38 AM

Hi, Can anyone tell me if the CinemaScope Alan Ladd western ONE FOOT IN HELL is in Wide Screen or full frame? If it is in Scope, what is the print/transfer like? Thanks also for the rundown on UNTAMED by folk above. I will pass on it!

#58 of 389 kagemusha98

kagemusha98

Second Unit

• 267 posts

Posted December 23 2009 - 02:15 AM

It is 2.35 but not anamorphic.

#59 of 389 Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted December 23 2009 - 07:59 AM

Very sorry to edit your post, Rafael, but I wonder if you ever picked up these two from your original list?

I'm quite interested in ordering but in view of the comments in this thread am somewhat wary until I hear more.
What's been your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelPires I plan to buy the following titles:
- China Girl
- The Iron Curtain

#60 of 389 RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted December 23 2009 - 09:46 AM

Hi Mike,
I already bought both of them, but my the shippment will only arrive in the second week of January. I can assure you that, as soon as I receive them, I will give you some feedback.

Anyway, I read some reviews in the forum indicated by Francisco and there it says the transfers are good. For the Iron Curtain there are some screen captures in this link (I don't know how accurate they are): http://www.mundodvd....ead.php?t=67327

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users