-

Photo
- - - - -

SUPERMAN: The Music... 8 CD Limited Edition Box Set

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts

Posted February 26 2008 - 06:23 AM

This caught me completely off-guard this morning:

http://www.screenarc...ail.cfm?ID=8874

Complete scores to Superman I-IV plus the animated series from the late 80's, all newly remastered from original elements. Superman: The Movie replaces the previous out-of-print 2-disc set with the entire score remastered from the original six-track masters, giving us music sourced from the first-generation master. Superman II is now complete and buffed, apparently less thin-sounding than the earlier record album and Japanese CD. Superman III is all here officially for the first time. The lost score for Superman IV by Alexander Courage is now presented uncut and whole. There is music here that did not survive the slashing of that film down to 90 minutes and has never been heard before.

Amazing stuff.
My DVDs

#2 of 25 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted March 02 2008 - 09:38 PM

for more informatio

The Complete Superman Soundtrack BOXSET

Quote:
Q. Why weren't scores for Superman Returns, Superboy and Superman: The Animated Series (Shirley Walker) included?
A. Mike Matessino: We started the project BEFORE Superman Returns came out and the licensing deal was already locked. As a brand new release there was no way we could have even discussed the possibility of doing anything with it, and as has been pointed out the union fees for something brand new would have been prohibitively expensive. The other thing that Superman fans may not realize is that our release is FSM's second box set. The first was "The Elmer Bernstein Film Collection," which had the same physical design but is 12 discs instead of 8. In trying to create a product line FSM wanted to follow the same design format, so when we started and realized we needed seven discs to present the four films, Lukas Kendall asked me if I had any ideas for an eighth disc in order to fill up the second clamshell case. A lot of ideas were thrown around Superboy, Supergirl, Smallville, the Shirley Walker scores, etc. but they were either too expensive and/or problematic to make happen

Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#3 of 25 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted March 02 2008 - 09:46 PM

A Long-But-Fascinating Interview With The Folks Behind The New 8 CD Boxset Of SUPERMAN Scores!! -- Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.

A Long-But-Fascinating Interview With The Folks Behind The New 8 CD Boxset Of SUPERMAN Scores!!

Dharmesh over at SUPERMAN Cinema (Superman Cinema)conducted an interview between Mike Matessino and Lukas Kendall; the two producers involved in creating the SUPERMAN: THE MUSIC (1978-1988) 8CD box set.

Quote:
DHARMESH: You extracted quotes from previous interviews, some unreleased. Who did you interview for this release? Who couldn’t you get?
MM: Because of all the activity going on with Warner's DVD release, especially "The Donner Cut" of Superman II, the cast and crew were very much available and in particular Tom Mankiewicz, Ilya Salkind and Ken Thorne all became involved and contributed many recollections over several conversations. John Williams gave us a brief quote about Sandy Courage for Superman IV.
I also interviewed Eric Tomlinson, John Richards, Margot Kidder, Leslie Bricusse, Richard Donner, Pierre Spengler, Stuart Baird and a few others, but for some we didn't end up using direct quotes in the book.
As it evolved, Lukas sought to increase the amount of composer quotes and he got the okay to use the uncut Williams interviews done for all of the DVD documentaries. There was really no one I went for that I didn't get, although naturally I would like to have gotten something from Richard Lester or Sidney Furie.
Sandy Courage, unfortunately, is not in the best of health but he is very happy about the release and with the help of his daughter we located some important documentation about his work on Superman IV.

Quote:
DHARMESH: John Williams wrote two themes for Superman IV that we knew of, “Lacy’s Theme”, which harkens back to his jazz days, and the villainous “Nuclear Man Theme”. What’s surprising is that he wrote a third theme, one which was a precursor to the sound of Hook
- a revelation for you?

MM: Absolutely! I first heard "Jeremy's Theme" when we found the master for the aborted Superman IV album release, which was before I'd seen any documentation or heard the complete elements that I later worked with.
I love that no one really knew about it. It's a gem and I wanted it to be a surprise just like it was for me. If it's a precursor to Hook, that could partially be attributed to the fact that some of the themes for that film were written in the mid-1980s, when Williams and Leslie Bricusse (lyricist of "Can You Read My Mind") were developing a musical Peter Pan for Steven Spielberg that the director aborted sometime during the making of Empire of the Sun.
It's also been recently pointed out to me that "Jeremy's Theme" bears some resemblance to "Jim's New Life" from that project, which Williams worked on right after Superman IV.

there is so much more

#4 of 25 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted March 02 2008 - 09:50 PM

some additional news

Quote:
Mike Matessino, producer of Film Score Monthly's /Superman: The Music (1978-1988)/ is the guest on the radio show "Celluloid Dreams" on Monday, March 3rd.

This edition will be entirely devoted to the music of Superman and will feature the premiere broadcast of music from /Superman IV: The Quest for Peace/. "Celluloid Dreams," hosted by Tim Sika and now in its 12th year, is dedicated to the art of film and the moviegoing experience, and is heard each Monday at 5:00 p.m. Pacific time on KSJS, 90.5 FM in San Jose, California.
The station does not stream live but for those not in the listening area the entire program is posted after the broadcast at http://www.celluloiddreams.net and is both listenable and downloadable for one week.

#5 of 25 Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts

Posted March 04 2008 - 12:40 PM

I have started listening to the score for Superman II as this was in most need of an upgrade... and the results are astonishing. Sonically, it completely eliminates the "high school marching band" sound of the original LP without changing any of the music. It sounds brighter, more distinct, and downright gutsy. At times, I could have almost mistaken it for the original John Williams recordings. Whoever was turning the knobs on the original mastering should be ashamed of himself. All these years and I thought it was Ken Thorne's fault for the score sounding so bad. Now it sounds like it belongs in a Superman film. Bravo.
My DVDs

#6 of 25 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted March 10 2008 - 08:46 AM

I am watching Superman The Movie along with the Isolated music track.

I had forgotten how powerful the music of John Williams is

#7 of 25 Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator

• 188 posts

Posted March 12 2008 - 04:21 AM

Can we buy this set anywhere else? $120 plus $10 shipping is steep, especially when I already own S1 on double-CD. I'd love to get SII, and the others just to complete the collection.
Dan Szwarc
Currently without a Home Theatre

#8 of 25 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted March 12 2008 - 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Szwarc
Can we buy this set anywhere else? $120 plus $10 shipping is steep, especially when I already own S1 on double-CD. I'd love to get SII, and the others just to complete the collection.
You can buy it elsewhere, but it's the same price or more. You'll save a few bucks on shipping with Amazon, but it's the same retailer that's selling it. They're only making 3000 copies, so the price doesn't seem incredibly steep. Looks nice:

http://www.supermanh....heMusic-01.jpg

#9 of 25 Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts

Posted March 14 2008 - 08:25 AM

I've listened to the scores to all four feature films in this box set. I'll spin the score to the '88 cartoon series next.

All the scores sound amazing. I loved hearing the little gems, such as "The Dome Opens" from Superman: The Movie, an alternate cue for the Phantom Zone sequence. Ken Thorne used this piece in II for the beginning of Superman's battle with the 3 villains. "General? Would you care to step outside?"

The score for IV was a revelation. Listening to it almost made me believe the movie didn't completely suck.
My DVDs

#10 of 25 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted March 14 2008 - 10:48 AM

Oh dear, "Lacy (disco version)." Posted Image I can't believe it was even composed.

#11 of 25 lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,182 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted March 15 2008 - 03:28 PM

Just got my box set in the mail today...looking forward to checking out all the music in this amazing collection over the next 7 to 10 nights after work. Thanx to Mike Mattesino for such a superhuman achievement in film music archiving!Posted Image Posted Image

#12 of 25 Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor

• 995 posts

Posted March 18 2008 - 07:01 AM

I'm glad you guys are enjoying it. Posted Image
There will be another pressing of 3000. Only 6000 in the world. Posted Image

#13 of 25 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted March 18 2008 - 08:58 AM

Any left Dharmesh ?

#14 of 25 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,088 posts

Posted March 18 2008 - 09:02 AM

I do hope they do yet another pressing of this after the next 3,000 sell out. I'm now starting to get interested in this set but lack the funds to buy it immediately.

#15 of 25 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted March 18 2008 - 09:24 AM

Hopefully I will be one of the lucky ones.

Just paid for this

#16 of 25 Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter

• 1,070 posts

Posted March 18 2008 - 03:53 PM

There is a great new interview with the co-producer of the new CD Box, Mike Matessino at the John Williams fan site. The interview was conducted by a former Home Theater Forum member, Neil S. Bulk (who is also mentioned in the booklet that comes with the new CDs).

I found the interview to be extremely thorough and educational, it's a great read. There is a ton of great information about the history of these recordings and the work that went into the mastering process. Lots of background on the "deliberate creative decisions" that went into this massive project.

This is just part 1, looking forward to the follow-ups.

You can read it here:

JOHN WILLIAMS Fan Network - SUPERMAN: THE MUSIC (1978-1988) - INTERVIEW WITH PRODUCER MIKE MATESSINO, Part I
 This Are Intentionally Left Blank

#17 of 25 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted March 18 2008 - 09:41 PM

Thanks for the link to the interview.

Awesome

#18 of 25 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted March 20 2008 - 08:14 AM

Just received an email that my copy has shipped.

Awesome

#19 of 25 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted March 29 2008 - 02:23 AM

went to the postoffice this morning to collect the Superman Box set.

Very sweet indeed.

#20 of 25 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted April 09 2008 - 10:49 AM

Part 2 Mike Matessino online

JOHN WILLIAMS Fan Network - SUPERMAN: THE MUSIC (1978-1988) - INTERVIEW WITH PRODUCER MIKE MATESSINO, Part II

very interesting indeed to read

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow