What's new

Pre-Order Rocky: The Knockout Collection (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow- according to Hunt, every film has an issue in the collection, even the documentary. I guess if you’re going to fuck up, may as well go all out.

Yeah, I just moved to decide this collection isn't even worth it for me if it drops to $10.

Why have something that is so screwed up like this? Warner should recall that entire set and do it over.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Everything about this collection reeks of sloppiness and corner cutting. My main issue is with the dated scans although I do have to say the original film looks quite good in 4K for the most part. I'm only interested in the first two films so maybe I can live with the audio discrepancies. I'm not the type to notice these kinds of issues anyway. As long as people in the film don't sound like undercranked records (and they don't).

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Here's hoping WB will get this set fixed in the proper manner, one way or the other, through replacement discs or issuing new sets of the series.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Why have something that is so screwed up like this?]

My guess is that having a set -- any set -- released in proximity to the theatrical release of Creed III was the priority here.

issuing new sets of the series.

They'll eventually have to release the fifth and sixth films which provides an easy opportunity to redo these discs for a larger set. Not that there is any excuse for releasing problematic product now, but it's not even complete.

I don't have UHD capability right now, so this release isn't for me. The news about this set has caught my attention just because I hang out here and I care about good quality physical media releases coming out whether I can use them or not. I hope the issues with the set can be rectified for everybody.

I recently bought a Blu-ray copy of the set released in 2015 and it contains all six films, not just four. So it does seem like a rush job to release a partial set like this to meet a marketing-friendly Creed-adjacent release date, rather than taking more time on these discs and waiting until the other two are ready to put them out together.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
I see the series playing out as follows and this is just my opinion only...you have the first 6 Rocky films, then I look at that film he did with DeNiro called "Grudge Match" as Rocky 7 and then the three Creed films as Rocky 8-10 respectively and heard that MB Jordan is planning on doing a Creed 4, which I will call Rocky 11 in the not too distant future, after the success of Creed 3/Rocky 10. Again, just my two cents worth.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
My guess is that having a set -- any set -- released in proximity to the theatrical release of Creed III was the priority here.

They'll eventually have to release the fifth and sixth films which provides an easy opportunity to redo these discs for a larger set. Not that there is any excuse for releasing problematic product now, but it's not even complete.

I don't have UHD capability right now, so this release isn't for me. The news about this set has caught my attention just because I hang out here and I care about good quality physical media releases coming out whether I can use them or not. I hope the issues with the set can be rectified for everybody.

I recently bought a Blu-ray copy of the set released in 2015 and it contains all six films, not just four. So it does seem like a rush job to release a partial set like this to meet a marketing-friendly Creed-adjacent release date, rather than taking more time on these discs and waiting until the other two are ready to put them out together.
I think WB and MGM were just too quick in releasing this set in conjunction with the theatrical release of Creed 3 and they didn't properly vet out the set the way they normally would any other bigtime set; just being in a hurry to make a quick buck without vetting the overall quality of the set itself and just imagine if they did that to their WB 100th Anniversary boxed set?

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
All this on top of the more fundamental flaw of this collection: the omission of Rocky V and Rocky Balboa (#6). I’m sure Mr. Stallone is working very hard on re-editing these two right now. Would it kill them to wait for all six in the series to be ready?

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Here's another Rocky II annoyance. On my Apple TV via iTunes it's playing in 4K/Dolby Vision with the incorrect pitch. On my computer, it reverts to the old HD master since my computer can't do 4K, but the pitch is correct. Why can't we get this soundtrack on the UHD version?

I've seen comments online not understanding the pitch problem. While I can't demonstrate it with Rocky II because of the above issue, I can do it with Rocky III, where the French dub on the HD version is in the wrong pitch. I've made this short mp3 that cuts back and forth between the properly pitched English track and the incorrectly pitched French track.

0:00-0:10 English
0:10-0:18 French
0:18-0:29 English
0:29-0:51 French
0:51-1:04 English
1:04-1:14 French
1:14-1:29 English
1:29-1:40 French
1:40-END English

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

My gut says they don't intend to bother with those 2 movies. If they planned on 4Ks for those 2, it would've made sense to do so right now.

Yes, there's precedence with the "Star Trek" movies, as those did 1-4 1st and then 5-6.

But "Star Trek" fan base differs from "Rocky" fanbase, and Paramount also put out an alternate cut of "ST:TMP" with 5 and 6, so it wasn't just those 2 alone.

Anyway, just seems to me that if WB planned to put out the last 2 "Rocky" movies, they would've done so with this set.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
My gut says they don't intend to bother with those 2 movies. If they planned on 4Ks for those 2, it would've made sense to do so right now.
According to The Digital Bits, Stallone is creating a director's re-cut of Rocky Balboa and that's why they didn't release all six movies on UHD now. Hopefully, they're planning on pretending that Rocky V doesn't exist but I imagine it will come out at the same time as Rocky Balboa.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
According to The Digital Bits, Stallone is creating a director's re-cut of Rocky Balboa and that's why they didn't release all six movies on UHD now. Hopefully, they're planning on pretending that Rocky V doesn't exist but I imagine it will come out at the same time as Rocky Balboa.

Okay, I could be wrong! :D

"V" isn't great... but I like it more than the 2nd through 4th movies.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
The Circle TV Network just aired a marathon of all the Rocky movies this past weekend.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
One other goof I've not seen mentioned:

On the bonus disc, the menu claims it includes "8mm Home Movies" with narration from John Avildsen and Lloyd Kaufman.

Nope - it instead includes a featurette called "Behind the Scenes with Director John Avildsen" on the prior release.

IMO, this is actually a positive, as the "BTS" featurette is longer and more interesting.

But it's still another error.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks