What's new

Pre-Order Rocky: The Knockout Collection (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Is part of the 100th anniversaries for both WB and MGM?
I don't think the cause of this timing is about the anniversary as much as tying in with the new movie. The release date for the box set is February 28. Creed III arrives in theaters on March 3 (probably with "sneak preview" shows on March 2.)

That can't be a coincidence.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Heads up on the UHD disc of the first film: the track labeled "Original Theatrical English" is actually one of those dreaded downmixes. The original track should be mono, and it's been correctly included on most previous DVD and Blu-ray releases, but on the UHD, there's a stereo downmix of the 5.1 in its place.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
ANNNDD.... the audio on the second film is at the wrong pitch. :rolleyes:

Sounds like they took a pitch-corrected PAL master, slowed it down, and re-pitch-corrected it, dropping it the whole track down a half-step or so. This affects both the English 5.1 and 2.0 tracks, which were correct on the old Blu-ray.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I went to Best Buy last night looking for Parts II-IV not realizing these are staggered. Is this the first time a studio has done this for individual units of a series? It's so bizarre. And BB is apparently sold out of the III and IV steelbooks due to "high demand". Bummer for me but awesome for physical media.

I wish someone other than Warner had distribution rights. They have the ugliest generic menus and artwork.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, Bill Hunt of The Digital Bits is reporting that Warner is admitting to audio errors in this collection. It is being investigated and more information is forthcoming.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
So, Bill Hunt of The Digital Bits is reporting that Warner is admitting to audio errors in this collection. It is being investigated and more information is forthcoming.
Good. You’d think there will be a replacement program for defective discs purchased, and corrected discs will be distinguished by a different UPC code on the packaging of future pressings.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Good. You’d think there will be a replacement program for defective discs purchased, and corrected discs will be distinguished by a different UPC code on the packaging of future pressings.

I need to offer an apology.

Apparently, Warner Bros. is looking into audio issues reported by owners of the boxed set. They have not yet admitted that these problems exist. However, this is a start.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
There’s also a 7-second aspect ratio switch from 1.78 to 1.85 on the theatrical ROCKY IV UHD, when Rocky is talking to his son.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Apparently the pitch problem on Rocky II is also present on the Apple TV stream. Maybe an issue with the master that MGM supplied.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
ANNNDD.... the audio on the second film is at the wrong pitch. :rolleyes:

Sounds like they took a pitch-corrected PAL master, slowed it down, and re-pitch-corrected it, dropping it the whole track down a half-step or so. This affects both the English 5.1 and 2.0 tracks, which were correct on the old Blu-ray.
Hi Bryan,
Regarding the Rocky II pitch issue on the Eng 5.1 & 2.0- is there a particular scene or sequence where this is particularly noticeable when comparing between old Blu-ray and current UHD? Thanks.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Hi Bryan,
Regarding the Rocky II pitch issue on the Eng 5.1 & 2.0- is there a particular scene or sequence where this is particularly noticeable when comparing between old Blu-ray and current UHD? Thanks.

The actors' voices sound lower throughout, but the quickest way to tell is with the music. On the UHD, it's practically in a different key; compare the opening fanfare, and it's immediately noticeable.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The actors' voices sound lower throughout, but the quickest way to tell is with the music. On the UHD, it's practically in a different key; compare the opening fanfare, and it's immediately noticeable.

Should I be avoiding this set? It doesn't sound like it's up to snuff. I was going to buy it once it drops to $40 or below.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Could buy it if you find it cheap and wait for the replacement program.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Should I be avoiding this set? It doesn't sound like it's up to snuff. I was going to buy it once it drops to $40 or below.

Picture-wise, I think they all look fine (though I'm not a color or compression expert). But the audio errors are disappointing.

If you don't mind the remix for the first movie, there's nothing technically wrong with its disc. It's just that the track labeled "Original Theatrical English" isn't the actual original mono audio track, but a stereo fold-down of the remix that we've had since the DVD (and maybe even laserdisc) days. It's mostly decent, but it's missing at least one brief music cue near the end.

However, the audio on the second movie is a genuine error. The same problem exists on some of the dub tracks on Rocky III, but the English ones seem fine.

Hope that helps!

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
From Bill Hunt's article dated this past Tuesday on the Rocky UHD screw-ups...

"Now then, we have confirmed that Warner’s Rocky: The Knockout Collection 4K set has some significant quality control issues. We first began hearing of this from readers who’d purchased the set last week and we shared them here on The Bits and also on our social media. We also made Warner Bros. Home Entertainment aware of the problems and the studio began an official investigation. Then we were finally able to confirm the problems with our own review product last night. The specific errors are as follows:

1. The “original” audio mix on Rocky is actually a downmix of the 5.1, not the original theatrical mono audio as it should be.
  2. Rocky II has all of its audio tracks at the wrong pitch (about 4% too low).
  3. Rocky III has all of the foreign audio tracks at the wrong pitch as well.
  4. One shot in the theatrical cut of Rocky IV apparently opens up to 1.78:1 instead of the correct 1.85:1 featured throughout the rest of the film (the shot appears at about 10:17 into the film).
  5. The version of the Rocky vs. Drago: Keep Punching documentary on the bonus disc is significantly shorter than the version available for free viewing here on YouTube.
That last one may not actually be an error, but fans have certainly noticed it. Now then, we haven’t yet heard back from WB on all this, but we expect to soon. So as soon as we do, rest assured we’ll let you all know here and on our social media."

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
From Bill Hunt's article dated this past Tuesday on the Rocky UHD screw-ups...

"Now then, we have confirmed that Warner’s Rocky: The Knockout Collection 4K set has some significant quality control issues. We first began hearing of this from readers who’d purchased the set last week and we shared them here on The Bits and also on our social media. We also made Warner Bros. Home Entertainment aware of the problems and the studio began an official investigation. Then we were finally able to confirm the problems with our own review product last night. The specific errors are as follows:

1. The “original” audio mix on Rocky is actually a downmix of the 5.1, not the original theatrical mono audio as it should be.
  2. Rocky II has all of its audio tracks at the wrong pitch (about 4% too low).
  3. Rocky III has all of the foreign audio tracks at the wrong pitch as well.
  4. One shot in the theatrical cut of Rocky IV apparently opens up to 1.78:1 instead of the correct 1.85:1 featured throughout the rest of the film (the shot appears at about 10:17 into the film).
  5. The version of the Rocky vs. Drago: Keep Punching documentary on the bonus disc is significantly shorter than the version available for free viewing here on YouTube.
That last one may not actually be an error, but fans have certainly noticed it. Now then, we haven’t yet heard back from WB on all this, but we expect to soon. So as soon as we do, rest assured we’ll let you all know here and on our social media."
Such shoddy work. I am so tired of forking over my hard-earned money only to receive an inferior product.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks