What's new

Pre-Order Superman 5-Film Collection (1978-1987) and Amazon SteelBook Exclusive (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
It's unprofessional at the very least. Brando's head was so far up his hind end by the 1970's that he would intentionally do outrageous things that he only got away with because he was Marlon Brando. Was he a legitimate generational talent who helped to change the craft of acting? Unquestionably. Did he like to mess with people because he had a massive ego? Multiple reports from people who worked with him seem to support this. In the end, it has become clear that Brando was a brilliant actor who could also frequently be kind of an unprofessional jerk. Refusing to learn lines is just another example of this, regardless of the "spontaneity" it may have lent his performances.
I agree 100%!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Its head scratching that they would reauthor the disc at all just to remove the 5.1 for that horrible 2.0 track. See now if that alleged new transfer was here instead of being vaporware, I'd understand. But no. So now its all a waste of time.

Agreed, it was a really bizarre choice.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
The fact is that Brando's work elevates almost a third of the film into the mythic powerhouse that it's supposed to be. This wasn't obvious when it first opened, but it's pretty clear now. Does it really matter to anyone how he achieved his performance? Other actors are jealous and like to bitch. He did the same thing in many other films, including "The Godfather." The other actors on that film joked about it, they didn't complain, and he delivered a well-deserved Oscar-winning performance.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I picked up the 4KUHD set today. I’m watching The First film now. And I’m somewhat disappointed. I will however say that I’ve never understood the dislike for the Third film. It’s always been a favorite of mine. The late Richard Pryor is great.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It's only ever been on the first pressing of the 4K UHD. You have it. Crank it up and enjoy it!
Hey Neil, in case you might see this thread, just wanted to let you know that I finally did watch the 2018 4K blu ray of Superman last night, I thought I’d post here as the Superman 4K review thread has become a bit mired with the discussion of O-rings and whether the audio was 6 channels or what. :)

At any rate, its been a while since I’ve watched Superman, maybe a year or 2 via the 2011 blu ray. My recollections go all the way back to the laserdisc and DVD days when Superman’s suit always had a green-ish tint in the flying scenes. I was impressed by the 4K’s disc in that the Superman suit colors looked solid and stable in red and blue. I’m reviewing the other thread, I saw you mention an orange flash during Christopher Reeve’s credit. I’ll Have to re-view that as if I saw it, it appeared as those interstellar flashes of color. So I didn’t think anything was amiss.

In regards to the image quality and Geoffrey Unsworth’s cinematography and use of softening, I was particularly impressed with the image quality. I think this is the first time I’ve watched Superman on my 83 inch OLED and the shots in Smallville in the fields as a young Clarke is running with the train and the shots out in the fields of the farm impressed me. It felt very much like I was watching film projected. I’ll have to see how this compares to the standard blu ray. No doubt, the larger screen has the ability to feel immersed.

So onto the main reason why I’m posting. I did watch this disc for the 5.1 Dolby audio track. As you said, the disc defaults to it! I believe my 5.1 system is set-up pretty well. It’s not perfect given the room but it works. And I did crank it up louder then usually listen at comfortably. It was in the 72 to 75db range. And I watched the film up until the point that Lex Luther sends out that high frequency message to Superman. I stopped the film right before Clarke turns into Superman. So I’m curious what I’m listening for. There wasn’t a whole lot of surround activity. There was a bit when Zod, Ursa and Non are cast out and I can here them whisk by over my right shoulder. I heard some destructive sounds as Krypton is in being destroyed. It’s all sounds good!

During the opening titles, I did hear a bit of distortion in the John Willams score, it was just a second or two. Overall the score sounds great. I expect to finish the film tonight so I’ll hear how the second half of the film sounds!

Overall though, I thought the film looks great and sounds great on this 4K disc. I recall RAH felt there wasn’t a lot to gain going to 4K given how Unsworth used softening filters. While true, I still saw areas where there is sharpness. The filters do give the film a haze, but somehow on 4K, it’s not so hazy. I’ve begun to wonder if there is a lot of upside to 4K material I’ve seen so far. I’m not knocking it. Maybe the material I see is mostly older stuff. I felt a really well done blu ray looks magnificent on the 4K display. The 4K discs I’ve seen looks great, but it‘s not night and day difference. Here on the Superman disc, I am seeing what I think is some improved image quality as the Unsworth softness benefits here. On a lower resolution format, it might look smeary. Here there are bits that looks sharp!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi Neil, ok, got it! This is a very good reason to have the 2018 disc. This is pretty surprising that Warner would drop that 5.1 original sound effects mix. Thanks Neil!

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I didn't know what audio effects were replaced except the whoosh sounds in the titles. Here's a description I got:
There are some backwards sound effects during the "Launching Kal-El/Destruction Of Cri er, Krypton" sequence.
There's some metallic, "jangly" sound effects as the remains of Krypton fly past the camera.
The initial sound of the XK-101 hitting the San Andreas fault is different, and there some added effects, as Supes flies underground to repear the damage.
The helicopter crash at the top of the Daily Planet building has been beefed-up.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
SUPERMAN Web3 Movie Experience

Iconic DC Super Hero Film Being Released as a Multimedia Living Movie Experience from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment and Eluvio

Includes 4K UHD Feature Film and Special Features, Interactive Themed Navigation, Explorable Image Galleries, Discoverable Digital Easter Eggs, and more!

Burbank, CA, June 5, 2023 – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, in partnership with content blockchain pioneer Eluvio, announced today the next installment of the WB Movieverse with the iconic DC Super Hero film Superman Web3 Movie Experience, available for preview at https://web3.wb.com and opening for purchase on June 9.

The release of Superman Web3 Movie Experience follows the 2022 first-of-its-kind Web3 entertainment offering The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Extended Edition) Web3 Movie Experience.

Superman Web3 Movie Experience is a multimedia NFT for fans to own and to engage with the 1978 Richard Donner film in an exciting way. Through dynamic menu options based on iconic locations from the film, owners can watch the film in 4K UHD on desktop, mobile, tablet or TV, access special features, view image galleries and artist renderings by notable DC artists, discover digital easter eggs, as well as sell the experience in a community marketplace.

The Superman Web3 Movie Experience will be offered in standard and premium editions:

• Standard edition ($30 for 1 week from 8:00AM ET on June 9 to 7:59AM ET on June 16) includes an interactive location-based navigation menu, Superman: The Movie Theatrical Version, previously released special features and an image gallery featuring stills and behind the scenes galleries.
  • Premium edition ($100 for 24 hours from 8:00AM ET on June 9 to 7:59AM ET on June 10) includes 3 different variations available for purchase separately, Truth, Justice, and Hope, each featuring an illustration of Christopher Reeves’ Superman from one of three DC artists - Ivan Reiss, Ben Oliver, or Bill Sienkiewicz. Each variation includes an interactive and explorable location-based navigation menu and 3 versions of the feature film –Superman: The Movie Theatrical Version; Superman: The Movie Expanded Director’s Cut; and Superman: The Movie Extended TV Edition - along with previously-released special features, and image galleries featuring costume and detail images from the Warner Bros. Archive and stills and behind the scenes galleries.

The Superman Web3 Movie Experience will include a free voucher code for a DC3 Super Power Pack: Series Superman from the DC NFT Marketplace , offering 3 randomly selected Superman comics with rarities from Common to Legendary. These packs are time-gated, open edition drops, limited to one per account. There will be new themed packs launching every few weeks, so stay tuned for updates.

Early access to all editions of the Superman Web3 Movie Experience will be available to DC Bat Cowl NFT holders at 8:00AM ET on June 8, to DC3 holders at 11:00AM ET on June 8, and to The Lord of the Rings Web3 Movie Experience holders at 2:00PM ET on June 8.

“For fans of this beloved and iconic film, Superman: The Movieis being released as an exclusive Web3 film and immersive digital collectible for the first time,” said Michelle Munson, CEO and co-founder of Eluvio. “As part of the WB Movieverse, consumers can easily watch, collect, and sell their film Web3 Movie Experiences on the blockchain, in the Movieverse marketplace. For Warner Bros., and the broader industry, Eluvio is honored to back this novel digital sell-through experience for 4K films and premium video assets – all streamed from and backed by secure blockchain access and ownership on the Eluvio Content Fabric.”

The Superman Web3 Movie Experience will drop to the public on June 9, exclusively at https://web3.wb.com and will be available for purchase by credit card or crypto currency.

To participate in this novel experience, fans can create a secure, easy-to-use media wallet that acts as a digital vault and enables consumers to stream and purchase content via credit cards or crypto wallets.

The Superman Web3 Movie Experience is powered by Eluvio, pioneers of Web3 innovation throughout the media and entertainment industry. The Eluvio Content Blockchain provides a high-performance, simple-to-use, and cost-effective Web3 platform built for content. It enables Web3 native media experiences, allowing publishers and fans to directly enjoy and monetize shows, films, concerts, digital albums, digital collectibles, interactive and metaverse experiences, and more. Content creators, and their communities, benefit from a significantly more carbon-efficient and high-performance alternative to traditional platforms for content streaming, distribution, and storage, including 4K streaming, ticketing, NFT minting, and trading of premium content. Notably, in this experience, the core digital assets along with derivative NFTs are all on the blockchain, not just the token (NFT) itself. Warner Bros. Discovery Home Entertainment and fans enjoy blockchain-backed access control and content rights enforcement, scalable attestation of ownership, smart contracts that enable distributed royalties, and content experiences that can even evolve over time.

Eluvio’s Content Blockchain also provides a breakthrough in carbon-footprint efficiency in the ways it manages media and uses blockchain technology, and on-chain content ownership. Through a novel compositional and just-in-time protocol, the Eluvio Content Blockchain does not make digital file copies and significantly reduces the network storage and usage requirements as compared to traditional streaming and content distribution systems. It also uses an eco-friendly “proof-of-authority” consensus, which avoids the high energy consumption used in computational “proof-of-work” blockchains.

superman_web3_01_startpage[100].jpg
superman_web3_02_landing_01[75].jpg

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Superman Web3 Movie Experience is a multimedia NFT for fans to own and to engage with the 1978 Richard Donner film in an exciting way... as well as sell the experience in a community marketplace.
  • Standard edition ($30 for 1 week)
  • Premium edition ($100 for 24 hours)

I cannot imagine anything appealing to me less.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
SUPERMAN Web3 Movie Experience

Iconic DC Super Hero Film Being Released as a Multimedia Living Movie Experience from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment and Eluvio

Includes 4K UHD Feature Film and Special Features, Interactive Themed Navigation, Explorable Image Galleries, Discoverable Digital Easter Eggs, and more!

Burbank, CA, June 5, 2023 – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, in partnership with content blockchain pioneer Eluvio, announced today the next installment of the WB Movieverse with the iconic DC Super Hero film Superman Web3 Movie Experience, available for preview at https://web3.wb.com and opening for purchase on June 9.

The release of Superman Web3 Movie Experience follows the 2022 first-of-its-kind Web3 entertainment offering The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Extended Edition) Web3 Movie Experience.

Superman Web3 Movie Experience is a multimedia NFT for fans to own and to engage with the 1978 Richard Donner film in an exciting way. Through dynamic menu options based on iconic locations from the film, owners can watch the film in 4K UHD on desktop, mobile, tablet or TV, access special features, view image galleries and artist renderings by notable DC artists, discover digital easter eggs, as well as sell the experience in a community marketplace.

The Superman Web3 Movie Experience will be offered in standard and premium editions:

• Standard edition ($30 for 1 week from 8:00AM ET on June 9 to 7:59AM ET on June 16) includes an interactive location-based navigation menu, Superman: The Movie Theatrical Version, previously released special features and an image gallery featuring stills and behind the scenes galleries.
  • Premium edition ($100 for 24 hours from 8:00AM ET on June 9 to 7:59AM ET on June 10) includes 3 different variations available for purchase separately, Truth, Justice, and Hope, each featuring an illustration of Christopher Reeves’ Superman from one of three DC artists - Ivan Reiss, Ben Oliver, or Bill Sienkiewicz. Each variation includes an interactive and explorable location-based navigation menu and 3 versions of the feature film –Superman: The Movie Theatrical Version; Superman: The Movie Expanded Director’s Cut; and Superman: The Movie Extended TV Edition - along with previously-released special features, and image galleries featuring costume and detail images from the Warner Bros. Archive and stills and behind the scenes galleries.

The Superman Web3 Movie Experience will include a free voucher code for a DC3 Super Power Pack: Series Superman from the DC NFT Marketplace , offering 3 randomly selected Superman comics with rarities from Common to Legendary. These packs are time-gated, open edition drops, limited to one per account. There will be new themed packs launching every few weeks, so stay tuned for updates.

Early access to all editions of the Superman Web3 Movie Experience will be available to DC Bat Cowl NFT holders at 8:00AM ET on June 8, to DC3 holders at 11:00AM ET on June 8, and to The Lord of the Rings Web3 Movie Experience holders at 2:00PM ET on June 8.

“For fans of this beloved and iconic film, Superman: The Movieis being released as an exclusive Web3 film and immersive digital collectible for the first time,” said Michelle Munson, CEO and co-founder of Eluvio. “As part of the WB Movieverse, consumers can easily watch, collect, and sell their film Web3 Movie Experiences on the blockchain, in the Movieverse marketplace. For Warner Bros., and the broader industry, Eluvio is honored to back this novel digital sell-through experience for 4K films and premium video assets – all streamed from and backed by secure blockchain access and ownership on the Eluvio Content Fabric.”

The Superman Web3 Movie Experience will drop to the public on June 9, exclusively at https://web3.wb.com and will be available for purchase by credit card or crypto currency.

To participate in this novel experience, fans can create a secure, easy-to-use media wallet that acts as a digital vault and enables consumers to stream and purchase content via credit cards or crypto wallets.

The Superman Web3 Movie Experience is powered by Eluvio, pioneers of Web3 innovation throughout the media and entertainment industry. The Eluvio Content Blockchain provides a high-performance, simple-to-use, and cost-effective Web3 platform built for content. It enables Web3 native media experiences, allowing publishers and fans to directly enjoy and monetize shows, films, concerts, digital albums, digital collectibles, interactive and metaverse experiences, and more. Content creators, and their communities, benefit from a significantly more carbon-efficient and high-performance alternative to traditional platforms for content streaming, distribution, and storage, including 4K streaming, ticketing, NFT minting, and trading of premium content. Notably, in this experience, the core digital assets along with derivative NFTs are all on the blockchain, not just the token (NFT) itself. Warner Bros. Discovery Home Entertainment and fans enjoy blockchain-backed access control and content rights enforcement, scalable attestation of ownership, smart contracts that enable distributed royalties, and content experiences that can even evolve over time.

Eluvio’s Content Blockchain also provides a breakthrough in carbon-footprint efficiency in the ways it manages media and uses blockchain technology, and on-chain content ownership. Through a novel compositional and just-in-time protocol, the Eluvio Content Blockchain does not make digital file copies and significantly reduces the network storage and usage requirements as compared to traditional streaming and content distribution systems. It also uses an eco-friendly “proof-of-authority” consensus, which avoids the high energy consumption used in computational “proof-of-work” blockchains.

View attachment 186478 View attachment 186479
Intriguing? Does it include the original 1978 5.1 mix?

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I read that entire press release twice and I honestly have no idea what this is.

With the keyword "NFT," it's clearly a scam to take your money and give you something completely worthless in return that will be immediately revoked from your supposed ownership.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I read that entire press release twice and I honestly have no idea what this is.

It looks like it is a limited time offer to purchase a digital copy of the movie with additional special features meant to be viewed simultaneously with the movie on the same or separate device, with the “limited time offer” portion creating a scarcity that makes it akin a physical media limited edition. Circa 2012, several studios released Blu-ray Discs that included optional interactive features that could be accessed on a phone or tablet while watching the disc, and this looks similar to that.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Circa 2012, several studios released Blu-ray Discs that included optional interactive features that could be accessed on a phone or tablet while watching the disc, and this looks similar to that.
I guess someone somewhere must be asking for this kind of thing, but my impression was those type of interactive features were never terribly popular when they were on Blu-ray and were more of an annoyance than anything else: Who wants to sit through the whole movie, just waiting for bonus features to pop up, so that, if you happen to have the remote in your hand for the split second the icon appears, you can hit OK and enjoy some EPK fluff? Just put them on a menu so I can watch them at my leisure!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I guess someone somewhere must be asking for this kind of thing, but my impression was those type of interactive features were never terribly popular when they were on Blu-ray and were more of an annoyance than anything else: Who wants to sit through the whole movie, just waiting for bonus features to pop up, so that, if you happen to have the remote in your hand for the split second the icon appears, you can hit OK and enjoy some EPK fluff? Just put them on a menu so I can watch them at my leisure!

And that’s basically why that whole thing fizzled out very quickly. But hey, if some new company wants to throw money into designing a thing and see if it works for them, whatever. Probably not for me but maybe there’s an audience.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Hi Neil, ok, got it! This is a very good reason to have the 2018 disc. This is pretty surprising that Warner would drop that 5.1 original sound effects mix. Thanks Neil!

I didn't know what audio effects were replaced except the whoosh sounds in the titles. Here's a description I got:
Those modern “whoosh” sounds were enough to ruin ever listening to that Atmos track again. You can hardly hear John Williams magnificent credit score on it as it’s playing under that effect sound. Like leave the original sound track alone. At least on the 2018 disc it defaults to the original track. Not sure how it defaults now.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
It seems like the UK Import is fairly common for not too much more money than the US pre-order price was. So, knowing full well all of the issues, I went for it. There are few movies series I consider essential for me to have. Star Trek, Star Wars (the pre-Disney), the original 5 Planet of the Apes movies, The Alien Trilogy, the Back to the Future trilogy, the James Bond series, the Indiana Jones films (pre-DoD) and Superman.

I had the 4k of the original film from when it was released and I always loved how it looked. I did a spot check of Superman II and was VERY happy with what I saw (having the original Warner Bros logos back is a treat). Superman III looks incredible, but I did a deep dive into Superman IV.

It's still a train wreck, but I still love this stupid movie. It looks as good as possible, but I was really more interested in hearing the incorrect music. Since the Sandy Courage score is one of my favorites, I've listened to it a lot since the FSB Blue Box CD set, so I know the music pretty well. The difference is obvious and staggering. That's a truly awful performance and a lot of cues are either wrong or just really oddly mixed. Did it piss me off? Not even a little. The film is such a disaster, it's actually fitting, so I found myself laughing at how terrible it sounded. I admit, having the option to switch audio tracks mitigated any negative feelings. And since the rejected recordings didn't make it into the soundtrack release, I was always curious as to how bad it really sounds.

It's that bad.

Anyway, I could have seen and heard all of this with the 50% cheaper standard set, but I was always bummed that I missed the steelbook set, it's a gorgeous presentation of four films which were a source of joy in my pre-20's. I do wish certain things were done better, but overall, I'm happy with it

From what I can see, other than UK ratings logos on the discs and the paper ad copy, the packaging and contents are identical. And the Blu Ray copies are not region locked. So, if you actually did want the steelbooks, don't care about the issues, and don't want to pay $250 - $500 on eBay or someplace for the US set, the import is widely available for just a fairly reasonable markup. This cost me about $160 on Amazon. The only real bummer is at barely a year old, the digital code expired.

Man, though, do I wish Paramount did the first 6 Star Trek movies in a box like this.

431614733_1581381549381117_3456141344511257401_n.jpg

431593260_710390281306265_3011983393225016834_n.jpg

431601979_747940964098680_5371575804083098567_n.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks