What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The Superman movies continue their decline with Superman III, arriving on UHD as part of Warner’s Superman 5-Film Collection boxed set.

Superman III (1983)

Released: 17 Jun 1983
Rated: PG
Runtime: 125 min

Director: Richard Lester
Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy

Cast: Christopher Reeve, Richard Pryor, Margot Kidder
Writer(s): Jerry Siegel, Joe Shuster, David Newman

Plot: Synthetic kryptonite laced with tar splits Superman in two: good Clark Kent and bad Man of Steel.

IMDB rating: 5.0
MetaScore: 44

Disc Information

Studio: Warner Brothers
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 2.39.1
Audio: Dolby Atmos, English 7.1 Dolby TrueHD...

Continue reading...

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Superman III has always been my favorite Superman movie and I really hope this will be made available as a solo release.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
JFTR the original six-track mix (with a mild stereo effect added to the rears) is present on the included blu-ray.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Superman III is a cautionary tale, and is what Star Trek IV could have been if they'd gone ahead with their original plan for that film to feature Eddie Murphy.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Based on the synopsis, I'm not sure I've ever seen this film, either. I think the buzz was so bad back in the day for the films after Superman II that I didn't bother. I was never particularly a fan of comics or superheroes in my youth, so these films were always more casual viewing for me.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I'm not as put off by this film as many people are. It's certainly not a high point in the DC superhero films canon, but I think it works if better if you think of it as a Richard Pryor film guest-starring Superman than the other way around. A good ration of Annette O'Toole doesn't hurt, either.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s very much an 80s sequel and if you lived through that era, there’s nothing about the film that seems out of the ordinary for how those types of films were in that era.

On the other hand, if you’re of the MCU generation and you’re used to sequels being bigger and often better than the original, Superman III is gonna seem like it came out of nowhere.

Because I saw it then my appreciation is locked in but I doubt it’s pulling in many new fans.

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
That opening scene is so awful and Lester at his most lazy and cynical ("Do these kids really buy all this rubbish?") I couldn't go further back in the day. The poster warned us.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Superman III is easily my favorite Superman film. Maybe it’s because I really enjoyed “A Hard Day’s Night” and “Help!” (two of my favorite films) and actually prefer Lester’s theatrical version of Superman II over the much ballyhooed but wildly disappointing “Donner Cut”, or maybe it’s because Richard Pryor injected some fantastic comedy into an otherwise dull movie franchise. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Either way, I’m dying for a stand-alone 4K UHD release of Superman III.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see the original Warner opening (with the Saul Bass 70s W) restored! Looks like Warner may finally be keeping the original openings on their new transfers.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I have to say that I think the spiritual successor to this film is Wonder Woman 1984. The opening credits are nearly a direct homage.
From my review of Wonder Woman 1984:

But the movie on a whole is overly long (151 minutes) and for me has this bad Superman III vibe, and I really do mean that in a bad way. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps Jenkins was trying to emulate super hero movies from the mid 1980s?

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There seems to be a lot of Dislike for the movie but I thought it was Hilarious Richard Prior is great and It was a much needed break from the Lex Luthor Psycho babble. Gene Hackman is a Phenomenal actor but Lex Louthor? Uhh No Superman The movie Was Great. Superman 2 yeah Superman 3 Awesome and 4 Uhh Luthor again No

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Superman III works for me up until they get to that super computer in the Grand Canyon, at which point it becomes downright silly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks