What's new

SUPERMAN: The Music... 8 CD Limited Edition Box Set (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
This caught me completely off-guard this morning:

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=8874

Complete scores to Superman I-IV plus the animated series from the late 80's, all newly remastered from original elements. Superman: The Movie replaces the previous out-of-print 2-disc set with the entire score remastered from the original six-track masters, giving us music sourced from the first-generation master. Superman II is now complete and buffed, apparently less thin-sounding than the earlier record album and Japanese CD. Superman III is all here officially for the first time. The lost score for Superman IV by Alexander Courage is now presented uncut and whole. There is music here that did not survive the slashing of that film down to 90 minutes and has never been heard before.

Amazing stuff.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I have started listening to the score for Superman II as this was in most need of an upgrade... and the results are astonishing. Sonically, it completely eliminates the "high school marching band" sound of the original LP without changing any of the music. It sounds brighter, more distinct, and downright gutsy. At times, I could have almost mistaken it for the original John Williams recordings. Whoever was turning the knobs on the original mastering should be ashamed of himself. All these years and I thought it was Ken Thorne's fault for the score sounding so bad. Now it sounds like it belongs in a Superman film. Bravo.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I am watching Superman The Movie along with the Isolated music track.

I had forgotten how powerful the music of John Williams is

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator
Can we buy this set anywhere else? $120 plus $10 shipping is steep, especially when I already own S1 on double-CD. I'd love to get SII, and the others just to complete the collection.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I've listened to the scores to all four feature films in this box set. I'll spin the score to the '88 cartoon series next.

All the scores sound amazing. I loved hearing the little gems, such as "The Dome Opens" from Superman: The Movie, an alternate cue for the Phantom Zone sequence. Ken Thorne used this piece in II for the beginning of Superman's battle with the 3 villains. "General? Would you care to step outside?"

The score for IV was a revelation. Listening to it almost made me believe the movie didn't completely suck.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Oh dear, "Lacy (disco version)." :laugh: I can't believe it was even composed.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Just got my box set in the mail today...looking forward to checking out all the music in this amazing collection over the next 7 to 10 nights after work. Thanx to Mike Mattesino for such a superhuman achievement in film music archiving!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
I'm glad you guys are enjoying it. :)
There will be another pressing of 3000. Only 6000 in the world. :)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I do hope they do yet another pressing of this after the next 3,000 sell out. I'm now starting to get interested in this set but lack the funds to buy it immediately.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
There is a great new interview with the co-producer of the new CD Box, Mike Matessino at the John Williams fan site. The interview was conducted by a former Home Theater Forum member, Neil S. Bulk (who is also mentioned in the booklet that comes with the new CDs).

I found the interview to be extremely thorough and educational, it's a great read. There is a ton of great information about the history of these recordings and the work that went into the mastering process. Lots of background on the "deliberate creative decisions" that went into this massive project.

This is just part 1, looking forward to the follow-ups.

You can read it here:

JOHN WILLIAMS Fan Network - SUPERMAN: THE MUSIC (1978-1988) - INTERVIEW WITH PRODUCER MIKE MATESSINO, Part I

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks