Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New STAR WARS film coming to theaters August 15, 2008

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
207 replies to this topic

#21 of 208 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,896 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted February 12 2008 - 03:16 PM

The less of Grevious, the better. Ditching Matt Wood would be a big step. But, no. According to the IMDb, he's back. He almost singlehandedly sunk the film. Then again, it's probably not really his fault. He just delivered what Lucas wanted.

#22 of 208 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,316 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 12 2008 - 03:33 PM

I'm sure if Sam Jackson comes back, it'll because he enjoyed playing Mace Windu and wants to do it again. It's not like he'll be getting a big pay check on a TV show budget and it would be just as easy to get someone else to do his voice too.

#23 of 208 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,333 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted February 13 2008 - 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
I'm sure if Sam Jackson comes back, it'll because he enjoyed playing Mace Windu and wants to do it again. It's not like he'll be getting a big pay check on a TV show budget and it would be just as easy to get someone else to do his voice too.

I'm confused. Isn't this a theatrical release of the Clone Wars cartoons from Cartoon network?

All but C3P0 and Greivous had voices already. It's done. There is no need to get new actors to do any voices. There is no pre-production necessary -- they even used origianl SW themes and sound effects. They're done. It's an easy cash grab for Lucas -- plain and simple.
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#24 of 208 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,901 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted February 13 2008 - 01:15 AM

Call me excited about this and the TV series. this will have to be damn good to drag me into the theater to see it. At this point I'll wait for DVD. Hopefully the TV show will be available for online viewing. What channel will be running it? Anyone know? ABC and CBS both have streaming versions of their shows. LOST looks particularly good streamed in HD on my PC monitor. It's not as smooth as I'd like but I usually don't notice the very slight occasional jerkiness when there's a lot of movement.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#25 of 208 OFFLINE   Shane D

Shane D

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_M
I'm confused. Isn't this a theatrical release of the Clone Wars cartoons from Cartoon network?

All but C3P0 and Greivous had voices already. It's done. There is no need to get new actors to do any voices. There is no pre-production necessary -- they even used origianl SW themes and sound effects. They're done. It's an easy cash grab for Lucas -- plain and simple.

its an all new 3d animated show, not cell animated like the original.

#26 of 208 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,944 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 01:50 AM

Looking forward to this. I still think the two volumes of Clone Wars done for Cartoon Network were outstanding, some of the best Star Wars ever made.

#27 of 208 OFFLINE   Brian D H

Brian D H

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane D
its an all new 3d animated show, not cell animated like the original.

Check out the Trailer:

Star Wars: Video
Lurking at HTF Since 2001

#28 of 208 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 03:09 AM

Trailer checked. Nice.

#29 of 208 OFFLINE   Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 05:40 AM

I can't tell if this interests me or not. I liked the previous cartoon but I guess following these particular characters some more doesn't grab me. I suppose I've had my fill of the prequel cast/era and would like to see Star Wars go somewhere it hasn't been before.

#30 of 208 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,896 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted February 13 2008 - 06:00 AM

Looks really good. The first Yoda clip either has to be Oz, or they've found the best replacement possible.

#31 of 208 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 09:34 AM

I think that you should get this thread retitled to

New STAR WARS cartoon...

Glenn

#32 of 208 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,944 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 10:04 AM

Seeing that trailer, and how cool it looks, I can't help but think how great it would be to have an animated film set between Episode IV and V, or V and VI. Or maybe after VI. Maybe someday.

#33 of 208 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,858 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 10:06 AM

I am a bit burned out on SW, but this does look like fun. I'll probably go to the theater to see it.

#34 of 208 OFFLINE   Patrick H.

Patrick H.

Second Unit

• 476 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 01:58 PM

I don't know...looking at that trailer, the mix of highly stylized 3D humans amid the nearly photo-real backgrounds and hardware is a bit unnerving. The stylized look was great for the cel-animated show, but something about the movement here doesn't really work.

Also, you can chalk me up as pretty much done with this era of the franchise. In a fictional universe with so many possibilites, that they keep boxing themselves further and further into established areas of it (a trend the rumored live-action TV show is set to continue) is somewhat mystifying.

#35 of 208 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,536 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G
I'm more interested in his much talked about post-SW career, which sadly by the looks of it now, might not see the light of day, at least not for years now.
I don't think you'll ever see those "small, experimental films". Lucas was swallowed up long ago by his creation, and he'll never get away from it. It would be like expecting General Motors to become a small, experimental car company.

#36 of 208 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,901 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted February 14 2008 - 12:08 AM

Finally got around to watching the trailer. Disappointed. I thought it would look more realistic. Very cartoony. Not that I have a problem with cartoony...it's just if the previous 3 films had been more enjoyable it would be worth the trouble of time and money on a theater visit. An animated TV series with this same style is exciting though.

Nutshell for me: Great for TV not great for cinema.

Again, I hope this will appear online so I can view it HD streaming. Mr. Lucas, that's the future of TV dude. Make it happen please sir. And thanks for the cartoon. If you buy the ticket and popcorn I'll take the time...otherwise I'll wait until it appears on TV.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#37 of 208 OFFLINE   Chris Will

Chris Will

Supporting Actor

• 748 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted February 14 2008 - 01:13 AM

I agree with Radioman plus, I'm really not that interested in the Clone Wars anymore. I'd much rather see something that takes place between Episodes III and IV or something after Episode VI.

#38 of 208 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted February 14 2008 - 01:56 AM

I hate you Luca$! Posted Image
No, but really, it looks like a video game preview to me. Guess thats the market.

#39 of 208 OFFLINE   Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter

• 1,385 posts

Posted February 14 2008 - 02:55 AM

I get the feeling if we had software that could synthesize computer generated voices to a satisfactory level Lucas would use that completely get rid of actors entirely in his projects. :-)

#40 of 208 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted February 14 2008 - 04:37 AM

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at all the criticism of this project. I mean, it is Star Wars after all so there has to be a lot of disappointment and complaining, right? Personally, I think the animation looks fantastic and the whole thing looks like a fun experiment. Naturally I'd much rather see more live-action Star Wars films, but this is better than nothing IMHO and I'll gladly go see this in the theater come August.
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow