What's new

Untitled Star Wars Film (2027)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I don't know/care how people responded to She-Hulk and its direction but I'll throw a party if Damon Lindelof is actually involved with Star Wars.
I would have agreed before he destroyed the screenplay for Gemini Man.

I doubt this story. Still rumor at this stage.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I don't know/care how people responded to She-Hulk and its direction but I'll throw a party if Damon Lindelof is actually involved with Star Wars.

Obviously (duh!) Travis disagrees, but...

Yeah, just what Star Wars needs, involvement from the individual who wrote Prometheus. Lindelof is incredibly frustrating for me as a viewer as there are strong conceptual elements present in his work; but his execution leaves a lot to be desired in most cases with a lack of real meaningful resolution in so much of his work and simply irrational behaviors from many of his characters. Please stay away from Star Wars.

- Walter.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
If he can continue the great writing he showed with HBO's Watchmen, I'm all for it. If it fails like Star Trek Into Darkness or Lost, I'm going to be annoyed.

I expect this one will not be free of the mystical side of Star Wars, like Andor or Boba Fett.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It depends on which one shows up. If it's the guy who did The Leftovers and Watchmen, it will be great. If it's the one who did Cowboys and Aliens, Prometheus and Star Trek Into Darkness, it will be terrible.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think the story is legitimate. I also think Shameen Obaid-Chinoy directed the best episode of Ms. Marvel with "Time and Again."

However, Lucasfilm has an established pattern of making splashy hires to work on movies that ultimately don't happen. So whether this idea actually pans out into something that gets made is an open question right now.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Sources say the movie project is intended as a stand-alone but in success could lead to more movies. That plan goes against the grain of earlier Lucasfilm development process’, which saw the company try to come up with new trilogies. Now, the studio seems to focus on stand-alones.

And sources say that the story would take place after the events of 2019’s Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, although it would not be a continuation of the Skywalker saga. It could, however, feature some of the characters from the Star Wars trilogy made in the 2010s

Link

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just wish this was a series since most of Lindelof's best work are on series.

On the plus side he actually is a long time Star Wars fan and after writing the pilot of Lost JJ gave him his original Revenge of the Jedi poster from 1983 which came out before the title change.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Obviously (duh!) Travis disagrees, but...

Yeah, just what Star Wars needs, involvement from the individual who wrote Prometheus. Lindelof is incredibly frustrating for me as a viewer as there are strong conceptual elements present in his work; but his execution leaves a lot to be desired in most cases with a lack of real meaningful resolution in so much of his work and simply irrational behaviors from many of his characters. Please stay away from Star Wars.

- Walter.

Did he screw up “Lost” as well?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Did he screw up “Lost” as well?

Getting off the topic of Star Wars for a moment or two...

I can't speak for anyone else, but my reaction (which I have discussed before) is that while I loved a lot about the show, I absolutely hated how the series Lost ended during my first viewing of the series. During the early years of the show my recollection was that the show runners "swore up and down" that the cast had not died and that this was not purgatory or something akin to that. Then later, season six comes along and that is essentially what we get as a resolution for the series. I honestly felt like the show essentially lied to me, although the reality was that they were sort of making it up as they went along. This kind of ties in to my criticism of Lindelof and his failure (at times) to deliver a meaningful resolution.

I remember Craig Ferguson saying (after the finale) that he felt like the writers had come and taken a dump on his front porch. A sentiment we had in common.

I eventually revisited the entire series (on Blu-Ray) with a friend who had never experienced the show and I was much more sanguine about the entire thing and actually enjoyed the series a lot more the second time around.

Long way of saying "yes" and "no". :)

- Walter.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Getting off the topic of Star Wars for a moment or two...

I can't speak for anyone else, but my reaction (which I have discussed before) is that while I loved a lot about the show, I absolutely hated how the series Lost ended during my first viewing of the series. During the early years of the show my recollection was that the show runners "swore up and down" that the cast had not died and that this was not purgatory or something akin to that. Then later, season six comes along and that is essentially what we get as a resolution for the series. I honestly felt like the show essentially lied to me, although the reality was that they were sort of making it up as they went along. This kind of ties in to my criticism of Lindelof and his failure (at times) to deliver a meaningful resolution.

I remember Craig Ferguson saying (after the finale) that he felt like the writers had come and taken a dump on his front porch. A sentiment we had in common.

I eventually revisited the entire series (on Blu-Ray) with a friend who had never experienced the show and I was much more sanguine about the entire thing and actually enjoyed the series a lot more the second time around.

Long way of saying "yes" and "no". :)

- Walter.
LOST spoilers
The writers were saying that the island itself is not purgatory when the theory was that everyone actually died on the plane crash. During season 6 the characters in the flash sideways were living in more of a limbo that they created for all of them to meet in after they all eventually die and go off together to the after life. The characters did survive the crash and died as shown in the series so it wasn't the purgatory that people were theorizing about.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
You’ll get a variety of answers to this, but my answer is yes. Yes, he did.

That said, his Watchmen was stunning and brilliant.
Whatever one's thoughts on the end of Lost, the very fact that people watched more than 100 episodes over six years shows that Lindelof and company did plenty right along the way. If he (they) hadn't, no one would have continued to watch long enough to even care- positively or negatively- about the ending.

It's dark material but The Leftovers was amazing.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
LOST spoilers
The writers were saying that the island itself is not purgatory when the theory was that everyone actually died on the plane crash. During season 6 the characters in the flash sideways were living in more of a limbo that they created for all of them to meet in after they all eventually die and go off together to the after life. The characters did survive the crash and died as shown in the series so it wasn't the purgatory that people were theorizing about.
I’m still amazed at how many seem to have not understood that.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
You would think that Lucasfilm would have learned by now to keep things under wraps until there's a firm start date for prinicipal photography, given its track record.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The spoilers that @Alex.C shared in post #10 are from a Hollywood Reporter article which did not consider them to be spoilers. I'm not going to say what they are, but I just wanted to point out that they are public information via that article without a spoiler tag. So if you're trying to avoid finding out what they are, tread carefully when visiting other sites.

I will say that if that information ends up being true, it would essentially erase any interest that I might otherwise have in this project.

On another note, the ending of Lost is extremely polarizing. For me, it does not invalidate the rest of the show. Lost was many things during its run and was certainly far from perfect. But on occasion when the show was firing on all cylinders, it was nothing short of brilliant television and I do not regret one minute of my investment in that show over the years.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
On another note, the ending of Lost is extremely polarizing. For me, it does not invalidate the rest of the show. Lost was many things during its run and was certainly far from perfect. But on occasion when the show was firing on all cylinders, it was nothing short of brilliant television and I do not regret one minute of my investment in that show over the years.
As the saying goes, it's the journey and not the destination.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks