Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Title: Untitled Star Trek Prequel

Genre: Science Fiction

Director: Toby Haynes

Release: 2026

Plot: An origin story that takes place decades before "Star Trek" (2009).

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
So they'd be ditching the entire Kelvin timeline cast and starting over then? If so that doesn't sound like a very good plan to me.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Don’t believe it, won’t believe it until they’re on a soundstage.
I’ll one better that: I won’t believe it until my butt is sitting in the movie theater OR on the couch streaming it.

Way too many false starts, announcements, departures and promises in the last five years. I want it to happen, I would love for it to happen…but we’ve all been left at the alter on this too much.

Besides, there’s too many Trek projects in the hopper right now: Strange New Worlds Season 3, Lower Decks Season 5, Discovery Season 5, Section 31 movie, Starfleet Academy, the other show that hasn’t been announced (IIRC), whatever script Patrick Stewart got or is getting and now this.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
We’ve already seen “decades before” Kirk and Spock’s first meeting. It’s called Strange New Worlds, and even more decades before that, it’s called Enterprise. Neither need any help from J.J. Abrams.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
We’ve already seen “decades before” Kirk and Spock’s first meeting. It’s called Strange New Worlds, and even more decades before that, it’s called Enterprise. Neither need any help from J.J. Abrams.

Ah...Kirk and Spock met in Strange New Worlds... 🤨

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I won't believe it until the entire cast of whoever ends up starring in it is performing the whole thing live in my living-room, and I'm simultaneously playing the Blu-ray on my TV (muted), and I have the matching Hallmark Christmas ornament hanging nearby, and I'm reading the tie-in novelization, while the accompanying soundtrack album plays from my phone through one of those rock-shaped outdoor speakers that just so happens to resemble a Horta.

Strange New Worlds is surprisingly great. They should just focus on that for awhile. Don't push it.

Star Trek does have an unexplored Federation-forming era that includes a Romulan war. Since ball-shaped starships were presumably the norm back then, they could call it Star Trek: Daedalus and deliver to us even more recycled pablum that violates continuity.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
So they'd be ditching the entire Kelvin timeline cast and starting over then? If so that doesn't sound like a very good plan to me.
If it's decades before the events of the 2009 Star Trek, it would be before the Kelvin timeline diverged from the Prime timeline so the events would theoretically be canon for both. Even that gets dicey, though, since there have been plenty of incursions to the distant past since the original series, and "Strange New Worlds" established last season that those incursions have resulted in alterations to the timeline that was presented in TOS.

Setting this movie before Star Trek does seem like a headscratcher, though, given that the whole point of creating the Kelvin timeline was to liberate the filmmakers from the restrictions and edicts of the Prime continuity.

Star Trek does have an unexplored Federation-forming era that includes a Romulan war. Since ball-shaped starships were presumably the norm back then, they could call it Star Trek: Daedalus and deliver to us even more recycled pablum that violates continuity.
A movie centered around the Earth-Romulan War would be the obvious story to tell if it's really decades before Star Trek. If they wanted to tell the story of the founding of the Federation, they would almost have to get Scott Bakula involved in some capacity.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
How much more could they explore the origins of Starfleet or the founding of the Federation than they did in Enterprise? I thought they did a good job of both in that show, and would hate to see it retconned. I'd be willing to bet that whatever writer is behind this new project has never seen Enterprise.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'm hoping for something along the lines of Muppet Babies, where all TOS characters we know and love meet up as toddlers in a daycare center and have zany adventures.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It should be a Complete WTF movie, cast with everyone who's been in any Trek series or film (and who's still available), all of whom end up back in the same Crucially Important point in history to prevent some disaster that will destroy the universe.

They can title it Star Trek: Just Another Wednesday.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
It should be a Complete WTF movie, cast with everyone who's been in any Trek series or film (and who's still available), all of whom end up back in the same Crucially Important point in history to prevent some disaster that will destroy the universe.

They can title it Star Trek: Just Another Wednesday.
Or Star Trek: Across the Star Trek-Verse

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
So a prequel to an origin story. Okay.

If it's before the Nero incursion, then it's in the Prime timeline. Since I can almost guarantee whatever they do won't fit comfortably with the original series, I really have no enthusiasm. Hell, as okay as SNW can sometimes be, even that show feels like a rewriting of Trek history. I'm prequeled out, honestly. If they want to do one more Pine/Qinto etc Trek film, I'm all for it. But otherwise, go forward and go boldy. Too much Trek is either exploring the "past" or continually commenting on it. I don't talk about my own past as often as Star Trek does.

Naturally, this is just my opinion.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I question the term "Star Trek origin film". What exactly does that mean? Origin of one or another already-known crew? Origin of the USS Enterprise? Origin of the foundation of the UFP?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Didn't they already cover similar ground in the ST: Enterprise TV series with Scott Bakula? Wasn't that the first years of humans' interstellar travel capabilities?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Didn't they already cover similar ground in the ST: Enterprise TV series with Scott Bakula? Wasn't that the first years of humans' interstellar travel capabilities?

I guess. I didn't watch it past its second week, except for the Mirror Universe 2-parter, and a couple of other random episodes in S3/S4.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks