What's new

Untitled Star Wars Film (2027) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Getting off the topic of Star Wars for a moment or two...

I can't speak for anyone else, but my reaction (which I have discussed before) is that while I loved a lot about the show, I absolutely hated how the series Lost ended during my first viewing of the series. During the early years of the show my recollection was that the show runners "swore up and down" that the cast had not died and that this was not purgatory or something akin to that. Then later, season six comes along and that is essentially what we get as a resolution for the series. I honestly felt like the show essentially lied to me, although the reality was that they were sort of making it up as they went along. This kind of ties in to my criticism of Lindelof and his failure (at times) to deliver a meaningful resolution.

I remember Craig Ferguson saying (after the finale) that he felt like the writers had come and taken a dump on his front porch. A sentiment we had in common.

I eventually revisited the entire series (on Blu-Ray) with a friend who had never experienced the show and I was much more sanguine about the entire thing and actually enjoyed the series a lot more the second time around.

Long way of saying "yes" and "no". :)

- Walter.

Errrr, wow. I think you need to watch it a 3rd time because....
They weren't dead or in purgatory. Literally the only parts of the entire series where they were dead and in Limbo was the 'flash sideways' parts of the last season. Literally everything else in the entire show happened in real life where they were very much alive.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Lost was perhaps the best example of the school of television that promised answers to its many mysteries, ... if you'd just tune in next week! It - and many shows like it, including the X-Files, would drag out storylines for a season and sometimes years, and you hoped that if you stuck with it, as frustrating as it could be, you'd get some satisfactory storytelling. For me, that didn't happen. Not with Lost, or the X-Files, or many of the serialized shows that came in their wake. Lost, in particular, had a lot to do with lowering my tolerance for season-long mysteries. (I can't for example watch shows like The Flash, which I did for the first few seasons, because of how little happens in each episode. After all, they have nine months to kill before they get to the finale.) The other thing I came to hate about Lost was the body count. Regular characters were dispatched just about every week, as a way to boost water cooler talk. It never advanced the plot or even served the characters. I think it's much harder and more rewarding not to kill off your characters and show where their lives take them, rather than try to shock the audience - which, of course, isn't shocked when someone else dies every week.

In any case, Lindelof's Watchmen was brilliant. It clearly knew where it was going from the first episode, and its characters are rich, well drawn and their lives and deaths really matter. It remains one of the best things I've seen in the last 20 years, and it is a high point of the comic book genre.

If he can bring the kind of writing he showed in Watchmen to Star Wars, it will enrich the series, just as shows like Andor are doing now.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I am quite aware of what transpired in the series Lost. The point being that after all the early speculation regarding limbo (which I know it wasn't until the series' resolution / flash sideways portion, BTW) for the show to conclude in that manner felt dishonest, gimmicky, and poorly conceived (IMHO.)

Additionally, I felt as if the series was a lot better at raising questions than answering them, which I feel is attributable to Lindelof and the show's 'fly by the seat of their pants' approach to writing. (I was writing this as Sam posted, so we are kind of hitting the same topic.)

- Walter.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Wake me up when Lucasfilm decides to create a new, really great Star Wars film that isn't a prequel or based on the Skywalker saga/characters.

Or should I say, dig me up, when that happens.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disney has a spot reserved on the release calendar for an Untitled Star Wars on December 19, 2025 and another one on December 17, 2027.

That's what we know.

Of course, just because they have a placeholder on the calendar does not mean they will actually meet that date. But they still have some time. December 19, 2025 is 1,083 days from now.

Last edited:

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I have my doubts this film will be made due the history of Kathy Kennedy's "creative differences" with directors. Kennedy has also jumped the gun a few times in announcing future projects so until the filming commences, I have my doubts.

It's been a shit show for Disney Star Wars (mostly attributable to Kennedy being in over her head) so I'm getting the popcorn ready to watch it all commence.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
While Star Wars has no doubt driven profits for D+, theme parks and merchandise, it hasn’t generated any box office since 2019. My guess is that returning CEO Bob Iger will aim to change that.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
While Star Wars has no doubt driven profits for D+, theme parks and merchandise, it hasn’t generated any box office since 2019. My guess is that returning CEO Bob Iger will aim to change that.

I certainly hope so. TV series really aren't my thing since I prefer cinema. My interest in Star Wars has never been this low, but I'm certainly open to seeing future projects, particularly cinematic endeavors, but I want good story telling, which has been sorely lacking.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I certainly hope so. TV series really aren't my thing since I prefer cinema. My interest in Star Wars has never been this low, but I'm certainly open to seeing future projects, particularly cinematic endeavors, but I want good story telling, which has been sorely lacking.

I've said this previously, but I'm hoping that some future SW stories will be set after the sequel trilogy.

As far as I can tell, all these TV shows are set around the time of the Skywalkers. And they want links with the Skywalker stories (latest example, The Mandalorian, which refreshingly began as its own entity).

Let's move on with some new stuff. There's a whole universe out there!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Bad news for yet another Star Wars movie:

BTW, this thread has a date of 2027, but Lindelof's film, as the article says, was/is slated for 2025.

I guess we will hear more at SW Celebration next month.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Let’s face it. Star Wars theatrical films are dead for the time being. Until one actually starts production it’s all noise.

And that may be for the best, short term. The scarcity of Star Wars films has almost certainly been a factor in how well the majority of the installments fared.

When a Star Wars film (or self-contained trilogy of films) comes out once in a generation, it’s an event that pulls in moviegoers that might otherwise not be interested in that type of film. When one comes out every year, it’s just another movie.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I’m still surprised they couldn’t pull it off, doing one per year. The audience is there, but the time needed behind the camera wasn‘t.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
When one comes out every year, it’s just another movie.
I'm probably relatively alone in thinking this but I feel that that's what Marvel has done to itself. Not to a level that people don't enjoy them or won't go see them any more but looking at Wikipedia, Marvel has had 8 movies and 8 TV shows since 2020 which is ALOT of content and some of it is falling between the cracks for the general audience.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks