What's new

Return of the Jedi (1983) 40th Anniversary wide re-release week of April 28th 2023 (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Maybe. But this continues to assume that "ROTJ" would've sold more tickets if it'd been on more screens.

I don't make that assumption.
The post before you had someone saying how he wanted to see it with his daughter but couldn't because there wasn't a theater playing the movie within an hour of them. With 475 screens, he can't be the only one. I'm not saying that it would have been a massive smash if it had had more screens but there's no reason to think that more screens in more areas wouldn't have resulted in more money.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The post before you had someone saying how he wanted to see it with his daughter but couldn't because there wasn't a theater playing the movie within an hour of them. With 475 screens, he can't be the only one. I'm not saying that it would have been a massive smash if it had had more screens but there's no reason to think that more screens in more areas wouldn't have resulted in more money.
More screens would absolutely equal more money and doubly so if Disney could / would show the original 1983 version. I wanted to see this again on the big screen but I’m abstaining for two reasons:

1: It’s the SE+ version.

2: I’m working out of state this week and no theater near me has it playing. (And even if it did, I wouldn’t go simply because of #1.)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This anniversary showing was booked relatively close to its showings, so it may be that this was more or less the number of available screens given prior contractual obligations the theaters already had on the books.

There’s also a cost to sending a DCP out to each theater and the studio might have set a budget for P&A (prints and advertising) and held firm. I was mildly surprised that they didn’t cut a trailer for it.

This does give me hope that we’ll see a 50th anniversary reissue of A New Hope - my kids would be 7 1/2 then so that would really be perfect for everyone in my household!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This does give me hope that we’ll see a 50th anniversary reissue of A New Hope - my kids would be 7 1/2 then so that would really be perfect for everyone in my household!
This even gives me a spark of hope that the occasion could see the release of the original theatrical version. Just a wish.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
There’s also a cost to sending a DCP out to each theater and the studio might have set a budget for P&A (prints and advertising) and held firm. I was mildly surprised that they didn’t cut a trailer for it.
Aren't most DCPs these days distributed to theaters over the internet? I don't think they still ship out hard drives like they did at the start of the digital cinema age.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They still mostly send hard drives from what I understand, and then when those files are loaded from the drives onto the projector’s server, that’s supposed to connect to the internet and verify security and all that jazz. Smaller packages than 35mm film prints at least :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
They still mostly send hard drives from what I understand, and then when those files are loaded from the drives onto the projector’s server, that’s supposed to connect to the internet and verify security and all that jazz. Smaller packages than 35mm film prints at least :)

Do they also self-destruct or something for security reasons ala Mission Impossible so they don't need to return to the studios? ;) :D

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

This even gives me a spark of hope that the occasion could see the release of the original theatrical version. Just a wish.

That would be great if that comes true (though wish they'd rerelease all 3 at that point, not just ANH). Then Josh won't need to explain to his 7-1/2-yos how Solo is supposed to shoot first and all that jazz... but maybe he'd still need to explain Solo's character (amongst other things) anyway although they probably won't understand for another few years, LOL.

Sooo... Josh, will you really wait for that (theatrical rerelease) to be your kids' 1st experience of Star Wars? I don't suppose you'll wait much beyond that for the rest of the OT... but how will you explain Luke's infatuation w/ Leah to your twins at that age? ;):lol: OR maybe they just won't be aware enough yet I guess... :lol:

_Man_

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
As far as I know, it's largely downloads from a satellite and also the rare hard drive. That could vary from theater to theater or chain to chain though.

Do they also self-destruct or something for security reasons ala Mission Impossible so they don't need to return to the studios? ;) :D

_Man_
They send the hard drives back when they're done with them. They need digital keys to unlock the content on the drive and those keys only work for a week so even if someone stole a hard drive from a theater or from UPS or FedEx, they aren't really going to be able to do anything with it (unless they can get the key too).

EDIT: Apologies for the off-topic. Normally, I go off-topic to talk about Star Wars and not vice versa. :laugh:

Last edited:

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
It showed on one screen where I am... 9p Friday night.

A bit too late to take my 11yo to see. Unfortunately.

She was quite rather disappointed (she's seen Rise of Skywalker and Empire Strikes Back on the big screen so far).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just got back. Boy seeing it on the big screen just amplified the films weaknesses.

The terrible acting, goofy dialog, Ewoks, etc.

Still a good film but did not hold up so well for me.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Just got back. Boy seeing it on the big screen just amplified the films weaknesses.

Harrison Ford was part of the problem he seemed like he did not want any part of it

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

All of these are common criticisms of the prequels by people who love the originals, and for me, I’ve always felt that these were core elements of the Star Wars franchise from the beginning. I think the memories people have of the original films sometime exceed the reality of what the films actually are, and I say that as someone who unashamedly loves all six of the George Lucas-produced installments.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
All of these are common criticisms of the prequels by people who love the originals, and for me, I’ve always felt that these were core elements of the Star Wars franchise from the beginning. I think the memories people have of the original films sometime exceed the reality of what the films actually are, and I say that as someone who unashamedly loves all six of the George Lucas-produced installments.
For me, it’s not a memory vs reality thing. I regularly watch the original, non-SE trilogy (at least once a year) and absolutely love all three movies equally. ROTJ holds a special place in my heart, even though Empire is a better film and the best of all the Star Wars movies. I have tried watching the SEs a few times and, even though wifey bought them for me on 4K UHD as a Christmas gift last year, the OOT is so ingrained in my memory that GL’s “improvements” all stick out like a sore thumb and annoy the piss out of me. Unfortunately, I’m afraid my 4K UHD copies of the original trilogy will forever go unwatched because even the non-anamorphic laserdisc (and later DVD) transfers of them are far better films than what GL deemed we should have. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Ewoks, etc.

I think the main problem here is the shifts in tone throughout. It would be okay to have some goofy stuff with the Ewoks if that's the movie that they wanted to make. But the very serious tone of the scenes with Vader and Luke and the Emperor clash with the sillier tone of the Ewok material. So it feels inconsistent and awkward going back and forth between these two particular story threads. Star Wars and even Empire find a better way to mix the humor in with the serious moments in a more seamless manner.

Last edited:

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I always thought Jedi would have been better if we visited Chewie's planet and the primitive Wookies fight the Empire in the place of Ewoks. Lucas claimed he couldn't do it because Chewie was sophisticated with a laser crowssbow and was a co-pilot, but Chewie could have been a blacksheep of the Wookies and a technological exception. Lucas still could have had the primitive Wookies fight the Empire. I also thought Jedi suffered from a second Death Star. It would have been cool if they'd had to attack the Emperor's impregnable floating palace, or something--anything--different than what we'd already seen. I didn't have a problem with the Luke/Leia or Vader/Luke stuff until Lucas added the words "No. No!" It ruined the climactic moment of the trilogy for me. I, too, have the despecialized versions of the OT and watch them.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The only one worth multiple watches was the first one in its original form. The rest were all one watches. If the first one was re-released in its original form, I'd probably go see it for the sake of nostalgia.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The only one worth multiple watches was the first one in its original form. The rest were all one watches. If the first one was re-released in its original form, I'd probably go see it for the sake of nostalgia.

Wait. You don't consider ESB also worthy??? You're probably the very first I've ever heard suggest that.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks