Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

LOTR on Blu-Ray: would you buy the theatrical or wait for Extended Edition?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

#1 of 93 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 10:25 AM

Now that New Line has shifted into exclusive Blu territory, it means that they won't be tempted to master Lord of the Rings for 30GB and 33% less bandwidth... they can go full throttle and optimize for BD with 50GB, transparent high-bit-rate video, 24-bit lossless sound, PIP, with room to spare for extras in 1080p. Let's hope they do. Posted Image

But...

Some have suspected that New Line might try to double-dip by releasing the theatrical cuts in HD first, then later the extended cuts.

If they did this, how many of you would buy the theatrical version first just to have it in 1080p? How many would wait for the extended cut?

Naturally we're all hoping we get the extended cut the first time around, but just in case we don't, I'm curious to know what you'd do.
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#2 of 93 OFFLINE   Shawn.F

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 10:33 AM

I'd do the same thing I did with the SD editions: Buy the theatrical first, then extended editions when those come out (providing that they follow that route when they are eventually released).

#3 of 93 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 10:36 AM

I'd have NO problem buying the theatrical releases for a good price only to sell them once the extended come out.

#4 of 93 OFFLINE   KurtEP

KurtEP

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 10:47 AM

No chance I'd buy the theatrical versions. I'd Netflix them (maybe) and wait for the extended versions.
Lay down your law books now, they're no damned good -- The Eagles

#5 of 93 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 10:57 AM

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I never cared for the The Two Towers and The Return of the King. However, I did enjoy the first film and may buy the theatrical cut. One of these days I'll have to Netflix the non-HD extended editions, especially to see if the extended The Two Towers is as boring and drawn-out as its theatrical cut.

#6 of 93 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted January 05 2008 - 11:07 AM

I made a nice 6 disc set for each movie (thanks Ric Easton) theatrical, and extended DVDs. I have no problem doing it again. Both versions have merit, for me.

#7 of 93 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted January 05 2008 - 11:14 AM

I don't like the theatrical cuts. Only extended for me.

#8 of 93 OFFLINE   Dan_Ohio

Dan_Ohio

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 11:27 AM

I will wait for the extended version.

#9 of 93 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,582 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted January 05 2008 - 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Ohio
I will wait for the extended version.
+1

This would be one of the few films in my collection that I would double dip over SD DVD (my projector's video processing makes SD look very good, so my upgrades will be selective--however, new releases/catalogue that I don't need right away (I use films as teaching tools and we're not HDM equipped at my college) AND don't appear to be many years off in the future, I will of course pick up as HDM).
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#10 of 93 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 11:50 AM

Didn't they release DVD editions that contained both? Who's to say we can't get that, it would seem easier now than then.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#11 of 93 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,293 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 12:44 PM

I'll wait for the extended editions.

But with the extra storage and bandwidth BR backers have been tirelessly trumpeting - and this being one of the few releases where the BR specs have any real world value - both versions should be available on the same release.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#12 of 93 OFFLINE   Ed Faver

Ed Faver

Second Unit

• 378 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 02:08 PM

I think the pool of BD buyers is still too small to consider a dual release. Why not a 2 disc set with the extended cut + extras on disc 1 and the theatrical cut on disc 2?

#13 of 93 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 02:18 PM

I actually prefer the extended cut of Fellowship, and the theatrical cuts of Two Towers and Return of the King. But the completest in me will buy both versions of all of the films. But I would hope they would do something along the lines of the Blade Runner release.

And the extras, not having been shot in 1080p aren't likely to be presented in 1080p.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#14 of 93 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,523 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 02:23 PM

I'm an addict. I'll buy both and love every minute of each.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#15 of 93 OFFLINE   LarryH

LarryH

Supporting Actor

• 552 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 02:37 PM

I would think twice about buying the theatrical cut if there were no clue as to when the extended cuts would be released. It would actually depend greatly on the price. If they put out the theatrical cuts at a very, very attractive price (netting under $15 on the street), I would probably bite.

#16 of 93 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 03:02 PM

I haven't watched the theatrical versions of each ever since I picked up the extended ones so I see myself waiting for the extended ones on BD....however, they should be both included in one release. If Warner Bros. can release all versions of Blade Runner in one set, then New Line should do the same for each of the LOTR films.
Recently watched- Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Ransom, Dragonheart, Tomb Of Ligeia, Bloodlust: Subspecies III, Gorky Park, The Last Man On Earth(1964), Lost: Season 6, Transformers Age Of Extinction 3D, The World's End, Toy Story Of Terror!, X-Men: Days Of Future Past 3D, Bloodstone: Subspecies II

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2

Irina Asanova - "KGB have better cars, you know."
Arkady Renko - "Ah, but they don't always take you where you want to go, do they?"

#17 of 93 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 03:02 PM

I would probably get both just like on DVD, however if they were released at the same time I would get just the extended and keep my theatrical DVD releases.

Hopefully we'll actually get both on the same disc via seemless branching. I'm also thrilled that New Line is releasing 7.1 DTS HD MA titles. Perhaps that will be included on these releases as well. Just one more reason for Sony and DTS to get DTS HD MA decoding working on the PS3.

I do remember Peter Jackson stating that they had tons of stuff to add for a future high def release, so I'm assuming he meant behind the scenes stuff and hopefully in HD as well.

#18 of 93 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,858 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 03:06 PM

I actually prefer the theatrical version of THE TWO TOWERS, but like the extended versions of LOTR and ROTK. I'd probably buy whichever version was released first.

#19 of 93 OFFLINE   ZackR

ZackR

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 03:18 PM

I'll buy them both. In fact, I'd be disappointed if both weren't offered. I fell in love with the Theatrical Versions when I saw them in the theaters. I love the Extended Editions as well. Trust me, I do! However, I would be EXTREMELY disappointed if the theatrical editions were not available on Blu-Ray.

In other words, I'd buy them both. I want to buy them both.
You'll Believe A Man Can Fly
DVDAF

#20 of 93 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,647 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 03:23 PM

There is absolutely no reason why both cuts should not be included on a BD set. The capacity is there and it should damned well be used to provide a complete set the first time. I'm tired of the strategy of releasing separate releases of the same film with alternate cuts. However, if they do pull off the same tired old crap of separate releases then I will help cost them money by leaving the theatrical cut sitting on the shelf. I will only buy the extended versions if both versions are done as standalone releases.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."