What's new

LOTR on Blu-Ray: would you buy the theatrical or wait for Extended Edition? (1 Viewer)

Norman Matthews

Second Unit
Considering how selective I've been to date with my HD double dips (except King Kong, since it came in the box), I wouldn't buy either the theatrical or extended cuts on their own, since I own both already. I would double dip for both in one package, though.

Which means I'll be waiting until the third release of these films in hi-def, because I'm personally absolutely certain that Blu-Ray will see the same release schedule as DVD -- first the theatricals, then the extendeds, then both in one box.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
This discussion is completely ignoring one key element - Peter Jackson and his time.

Several years ago Jackson stated that when a HiDef DVD format became a reality he wanted to go back and create an uber-LotR box set, stuffed to the gills like the current EEs. There was even mention of as-yet unseen deleted scenes making it back in.

With his estrangement from New Line, I was afraid that might never happen. Now that everyone has made up, I hope that we see this project, but I fear it will be quite some time. PJ is working on The Lovely Bones this year, and then has the massive Hobbit & Tin-Tin projects on his plate. Who knows when he'll have time to turn his attention to the HD LotR box he wants to make??

I think it will be several years (probably no sooner than the release of The Hobbit Pt. 1) before we see the massive all-inclusive LotR box we all really want. Before then, I suspect we'll get a relatively bare-bones "placeholder" release - maybe a HiDef version of the last sets (the ones with the two versions branched) - one that can be released with minimal impact on PJ's time. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this before the end of 2008 - after the Golden Compass fiasco, New Line could certainly use the income this would be sure to generate.

As for the original question - I of course want the promised uber-box set. But given that that's likely years away, I'd happily buy a "placeholder" release (even if it's just the theatricals) to give me that HiDef LotR fix I've been craving.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I'll counter this only by saying I think you are ignoring how badly New Line needs cash after their The Golden Compass debacle. I could easily see a Blu-ray Disc release of the theatrical versions with little Peter Jackson involvement to be followed by an extended edition release with more involvement from the director timed to take advantage of the forthcoming The Hobbit movies.

Edited to add:

This will teach me to reply before reading all of someone's post. Looks like we're very much in agreement. That being said, I would eagerly purchase any 'placeholder' release.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I see that I stand corrected. As for Blade Runner (and, I now assume, LOTR), if the branching worked (I've just watched The Final Cut of Blade Runner, haven't watched the others--outstanding PQ BTW) then I suspect the music was not rescored (the dialogue can easily be isolated from the music and the runtime is identical for all versions save the work print, according to the box information). As for LOTR, the score must have had some additions, rather than having been totally redone. I mistakenly presumed the score was completely redone a la Troy: The Director's Cut. In that case, branching was impossible as the music cues were completely different (not to mention the score is not just extended, but is completely different music) and timing music cues to scenes, done correctly, is not something done lightly.

Naturally, if it can be done on SD DVD, there is no reason it cannot be done on HDM (I did not mean to imply that in any of my posts).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I highly prefer the EEs, but if they follow the model they did for DVD (different extras which were not repeated between theatrical and EE versions) I will buy both versions. Especially if they stagger the release dates like they did for DVD. If they make them available at the same time, I'd hope they created a discounted box set that would allow us to get both the EEs and the theatricals together for less than the price of buying individual discs. Otherwise I'll only buy the EEs.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
I only want the EEs. That is, unless New Line becomes greedy and releases different new special features on the theatricals and then different new special features on the EEs. I would certainly balk, but I'd buy them, because the remaining unseen deleted scenes, audition tapes, etc. are now called by a new name--the precious. Must-have-the precious!

If I want to see the TEs for any reason, I can just look at the standard definitions. That just doesn't happen often.

I asked this previously in another thread and didn't see an answer--did ANYBODY buy the LEs? If so, is there a "pause" or disruption of any kind at the branching points? THAT is why I fear a disc with seamless branching. Just as with "layer change"--I DON'T want to be drawn out of the experience of watching these films.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Actually the directors cut has some slightly different music cues from the original and international cuts.

Doug

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'll never buy nor watch the standard versions again.

For me, the Extended Editions are the "definitive" way to watch
these films. Anything less is being shortchanged....by a lot!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Interesting. I really liked the extended cut of Fellowship, but didn't care so much for the extended cuts of the other two. Fellowship seemed rushed to me and I liked the pacing of the extended cut better. But for Two Towers and Return of the King, I thought they dragged at many points in the films and the pacing could have been picked up a bit. I much prefer the theatrical releases of the last two.

Doug

Dan M

Second Unit

agreed

I'm into hidef as much as anyone but I think the sd dvd's look good enough...(although Fellowship is the weakest of the trio in trems of image quality IMO)....Good enough to hold me over until the extended cuts come out ...

I'm watching on an projector using a lens for constant height as well....

Extended cuts for me

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator
Three words:

EXTENDED, EXTENDED & EXTENDED!!!!!!!!
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

And speaking of trilogies if New Line is reading is, I'll take the 3 NINJA TURTLES live action films on BLU as well!
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
But far less noticeable in terms of scene length than LOTR EE or Troy: The Director's Cut. My main point is that while technically feasible, I can certainly understand why, in some cases, it would be too much effort to go the branching route.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Paul,

They actually *rescored* the ENTIRE film for the EE version; it's *not* (edit, realized I forgot that word earlier) just a matter of a few overlapping opening/closing musical cues.. There's literally no-way to "branch" it. None at all. Very different that a film like the various close-encounters versions which literally are only different by virtue of added/removed scenes (which allowed branching for that BD release).

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I'm confused by your post here David. You seem to be saying that the EE versions can't be branched, but you also seem to be saying that its just a matter of a few over laps.

Weren't they in fact branched for the Limited Edition DVD releases? I would think if they can branch them on DVD they could branch them on blu-ray.

Doug

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Doug is correct. The last release (limited edition wit' pretty pictures and colour coded cases) used seamless branching to put both versions on the same disc. As I recall, these were flippers as well.

Ideally, New Line will take a page out of Sony's playbook and release these like CE3K (seamless branching with an additional disc or discs for special features).

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Really !?

How did they do it... is the audio mix/score the same as what was on the regular EE version? I'm totally confused given everything that was said about the musical score in the special features on the EE I currently own.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Yup. In order to conserve disc space (and keep both audio tracks), they junked the DTS. That shouldn't be an issue with BD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks