What's new

LOTR on Blu-Ray: would you buy the theatrical or wait for Extended Edition? (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Now that New Line has shifted into exclusive Blu territory, it means that they won't be tempted to master Lord of the Rings for 30GB and 33% less bandwidth... they can go full throttle and optimize for BD with 50GB, transparent high-bit-rate video, 24-bit lossless sound, PIP, with room to spare for extras in 1080p. Let's hope they do. :D

But...

Some have suspected that New Line might try to double-dip by releasing the theatrical cuts in HD first, then later the extended cuts.

If they did this, how many of you would buy the theatrical version first just to have it in 1080p? How many would wait for the extended cut?

Naturally we're all hoping we get the extended cut the first time around, but just in case we don't, I'm curious to know what you'd do.

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
I'd do the same thing I did with the SD editions: Buy the theatrical first, then extended editions when those come out (providing that they follow that route when they are eventually released).

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I'd have NO problem buying the theatrical releases for a good price only to sell them once the extended come out.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
No chance I'd buy the theatrical versions. I'd Netflix them (maybe) and wait for the extended versions.

LCD22

Screenwriter
I'm probably in the minority on this, but I never cared for the The Two Towers and The Return of the King. However, I did enjoy the first film and may buy the theatrical cut. One of these days I'll have to Netflix the non-HD extended editions, especially to see if the extended The Two Towers is as boring and drawn-out as its theatrical cut.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I made a nice 6 disc set for each movie (thanks Ric Easton) theatrical, and extended DVDs. I have no problem doing it again. Both versions have merit, for me.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
+1

This would be one of the few films in my collection that I would double dip over SD DVD (my projector's video processing makes SD look very good, so my upgrades will be selective--however, new releases/catalogue that I don't need right away (I use films as teaching tools and we're not HDM equipped at my college) AND don't appear to be many years off in the future, I will of course pick up as HDM).

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Didn't they release DVD editions that contained both? Who's to say we can't get that, it would seem easier now than then.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I'll wait for the extended editions.

But with the extra storage and bandwidth BR backers have been tirelessly trumpeting - and this being one of the few releases where the BR specs have any real world value - both versions should be available on the same release.

Ed Faver

Second Unit
I think the pool of BD buyers is still too small to consider a dual release. Why not a 2 disc set with the extended cut + extras on disc 1 and the theatrical cut on disc 2?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I actually prefer the extended cut of Fellowship, and the theatrical cuts of Two Towers and Return of the King. But the completest in me will buy both versions of all of the films. But I would hope they would do something along the lines of the Blade Runner release.

And the extras, not having been shot in 1080p aren't likely to be presented in 1080p.

Doug

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I would think twice about buying the theatrical cut if there were no clue as to when the extended cuts would be released. It would actually depend greatly on the price. If they put out the theatrical cuts at a very, very attractive price (netting under $15 on the street), I would probably bite.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I would probably get both just like on DVD, however if they were released at the same time I would get just the extended and keep my theatrical DVD releases.

Hopefully we'll actually get both on the same disc via seemless branching. I'm also thrilled that New Line is releasing 7.1 DTS HD MA titles. Perhaps that will be included on these releases as well. Just one more reason for Sony and DTS to get DTS HD MA decoding working on the PS3.

I do remember Peter Jackson stating that they had tons of stuff to add for a future high def release, so I'm assuming he meant behind the scenes stuff and hopefully in HD as well.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I actually prefer the theatrical version of THE TWO TOWERS, but like the extended versions of LOTR and ROTK. I'd probably buy whichever version was released first.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
I'll buy them both. In fact, I'd be disappointed if both weren't offered. I fell in love with the Theatrical Versions when I saw them in the theaters. I love the Extended Editions as well. Trust me, I do! However, I would be EXTREMELY disappointed if the theatrical editions were not available on Blu-Ray.

In other words, I'd buy them both. I want to buy them both.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There is absolutely no reason why both cuts should not be included on a BD set. The capacity is there and it should damned well be used to provide a complete set the first time. I'm tired of the strategy of releasing separate releases of the same film with alternate cuts. However, if they do pull off the same tired old crap of separate releases then I will help cost them money by leaving the theatrical cut sitting on the shelf. I will only buy the extended versions if both versions are done as standalone releases.

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett Voss

+1

You know that's EXACTLY what george lucas will do with Star Wars. "Oh, you don't want the special edition? You'll have to wait." I hate that!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks