Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Untouchables

Blu-ray Reviews

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,857 posts

Posted June 24 2007 - 07:10 PM

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted June 24 2007 - 10:46 PM

Thanks for the review. Glad to see Paramount come through again. Posted Image This is one of my favorite films from the 80's so there's no way I wouldn't be picking it up.
Death before Streaming!

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted June 25 2007 - 05:36 AM

Can't wait. Love the music, the look, and Sean Connery. Sold!
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Harpozep

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted June 25 2007 - 05:56 AM

A favorite of mine from the '80's! Glad to hear it has been transfered well.

I always thought Billy Drago as Frank Niti stole the show. I really wanted him to play the Joker in Keaton's Batman . Jack was fine, but Drago had the look and the cruelness in him to make me cringe as a Joker. Oh well...

Posted ImagePosted Image

Looks like another Blu Ray purchase for the collection!Posted Image
Best,
Robert

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted June 25 2007 - 06:10 AM

I've absolutely loved this movie since the day I first saw it in the theaters. I'm very excited to own this in HD. One thing that gave me pause however, was the mention of edge enhancement in the High Def Digest review. This isn't going to keep me from purchasing it by any means, but I was curious if you saw any EE in the transfer?
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,857 posts

Posted June 25 2007 - 07:01 AM

I did notice some shimmer here and there. (The finely patterned Armani suits occasionally show this - but it was mild enough that I didn't find it annoying. It's far better than what you see on a standard def transfer.) The hi-def digest review also mentions a lot of edge halos, but I honestly wasn't seeing them. I'm viewing everything on a Sony 40" XBR2 with a full 1080p image, and I'm playing the Blu-Ray discs on a PS3 with an HDMI connection to the HDTV. Either that's giving me a pretty good picture, or I'm just not seeing the same things the reviewer at hi-def digest saw. I'm admittedly not an expert on the technology, but if I see something really jarring, you know I'll squawk about it...

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted June 26 2007 - 02:17 PM

I have thi one on order,,,,I'll watch for edge enhancement. I think some folks take natural edge halos in high contrast shots as edge enhancing.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Andy_MT

Andy_MT

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted June 28 2007 - 11:25 AM

has anyone seen this on a bigger display (i.e. 60+ or front projection) ? if so, what's the ee like ? i'm sure it's not as annoying on a 40" display, but the bigger you go, the more you notice the flaws. god bless 'em. having been recently subjected to some of universals HD-DVDs from their "halo enhanced, moudly old master" collection, i'm trying to cut back on upgrading if studios can't do the job right. particularly on non-necessary but nice to have purchases like this. thanks

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   PatWahlquist

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor

• 735 posts

Posted June 28 2007 - 02:35 PM

I just posted my review of the HD-DVD. I'm watching on a 92" screen, and the EE was noticeable, but not intrusive. It tee's me off we're still getting this in a HD age...
ISO "Lost" ARG prints from Kevin Tong, Olly Moss, Eric Tan and Methane Studios.  PM me if you want to sell!

All reviews done on a Marantz VP11S1 1080p DLP projector.

Displays professionally calibrated by Gregg Loewen of Lion AV.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted June 28 2007 - 02:43 PM

Never got this on dvd so definite possible purchase. I'd like to commend you on giving the codec, rez, etc info on the extras. Thank you.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,857 posts

Posted June 29 2007 - 06:08 AM

Thank you, Brett. One nice feature of the PS3 is that I can check the memory and codecs - and the TV itself has a feature that lets me monitor the resolution. I've noticed as a rule that the upgraded trailers on pretty much every one of these catalogue releases is usually MPEG-2 rather than AVC. I've also noticed discs where some extra features are presented in 1080i. Pat, did you just say NINETY-TWO INCH SCREEN?!!!! Holy Toledo!

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted June 29 2007 - 07:50 AM

is the EE introduced when a film is telecined? Is it on the master or introduced after that?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users