Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Another glowing review for Warners Restoration Department - Forbidden Planet

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted November 13 2006 - 03:51 AM

Here is a link to the first review I have read on Forbidden Planet, and it is good. This is a movie I grew up on, and can not wait to see it restored in all of it's glory.Posted Image

Quote:
More than any other genre, science fiction seems to be able to withstand the ravages of time. No matter how chintzy, no matter how cheap, no matter how dated, there is something wonderfully endearing and charming about even the clunkiest science fiction films of the past. Certainly, 1956's 'Forbidden Planet' is not a bad film -- in fact, it is perhaps one of the genre's finest classics --
Forbidden Planet

From the Disney animated Monster, Robby, the 'electronic music' soundtrack, and the ID. What's not to like here.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#2 of 23 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,268 posts

Posted November 13 2006 - 04:15 AM

Here's my review:
http://www.digitally....w.php3?ID=9072

Hint: It's Spotlight Disc of the Week.

#3 of 23 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,354 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted November 13 2006 - 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Zimmer
Here's my review:
http://www.digitally....w.php3?ID=9072

Hint: It's Spotlight Disc of the Week.

Sorry to hear "The dialogue is pretty well center-bound,...". The MGM laser disc had directional dialogue.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#4 of 23 OFFLINE   Randall Cyrenne

Randall Cyrenne

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted November 13 2006 - 02:52 PM

This, along with King Kong, was my reason for taking the HD DVD plunge. I can't wait to see it in hi def! What an upgrade it should be from the Criterion laserdisc! I've had the collector's set on preorder since it was finally listed at Amazon. It looks oh so very cool. Posted Image

#5 of 23 ONLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 851 posts
  • LocationI.E., CA

Posted November 13 2006 - 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandL
Sorry to hear "The dialogue is pretty well center-bound,...". The MGM laser disc had directional dialogue.

It makes me look up at my center speaker which is on top of the TV. It would have been nice to have it move from left to right.

The OAR is slightly thinner than the old SD. Maybe 2.45:1 to 2.50:1.

The only thing it lacks are any 3-D effects which are found on "The Searchers."

I think Warners dropped the ball on this one.
...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#6 of 23 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,271 posts

Posted November 13 2006 - 10:06 PM

Mark you spelled 'ravashing' wrong. Its ravishing.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#7 of 23 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted November 14 2006 - 12:17 AM

I have not had time to watch this release completely, but a will offer a few comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sparks
It makes me look up at my center speaker which is on top of the TV. It would have been nice to have it move from left to right.

This is, hands down, the best soundtrack I have heard for this 50 year old film. It is much fuller than either my SD, or if recollection is accurate, my LD. Warner has done a very fine job on the soundtrack. I only wish it would have been released as a 1.5 mb Dolby+ instead of 640kb.

Quote:
The only thing it lacks are any 3-D effects which are found on "The Searchers."

Not sure what you mean here, but the video is excelent on this release, IMHO.

Quote:
I think Warners dropped the ball on this one.

Totally disagree. Warner has done a fine job on this release. While not as stellar as 'The Searchers', I can not see this release disappointing any one who has fond memories of Forbidden Planet.

#8 of 23 ONLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 851 posts
  • LocationI.E., CA

Posted November 14 2006 - 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppltd
I have not had time to watch this release completely, but a will offer a few comments.

This is, hands down, the best soundtrack I have heard for this 50 year old film. It is much fully than either my SD, or if recollection is accurate, my LD. Warner has done a very fine job on the soundtrack. I only wish it would have been released as a 1.5 mb Dolby+ instead of 640kb.

Not sure what you mean here, but the video is excelent on this release, IMHO.

Totally disagree. Warner has done a fine job on this release. While not as stellar as 'The Searchers', I can not see this release disappointing any one who has fond memories of Forbidden Planet.

Why couldn't it have been stellar, everyone has been waiting for it? I don't think there was that much enthusiasm about the possible release of "The Searchers, especially on this forum!!!"

Go to the avsforum.com and look at the "Sticky Tier Section of HD DVD's." You'll understand what I mean by 3-D effects in the movie.

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#9 of 23 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted November 14 2006 - 02:02 AM

Quote:
Why couldn't it have been stellar, everyone has been waiting for it?

I have no understanding what you mean when you say it could have been steller. This is a superb release, great picture, and very good sound. I care little when studios reinvent the soundtrack, and Warner did a fine job indeed with cleaning this releases sound.

Quote:
I don't think there was that much enthusiasm about the possible release of "The Searchers, especially on this forum!!!"

As far as the The Searchers, this is rated as one of John Ford's best movies by many film historians, and certianly is with me. Whether another forum appreciates or has 'enthusiasm' for The Searchers is of little concern to me, as it in no way detracts from the exceptional release of The Searchers.

#10 of 23 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,442 posts

Posted November 14 2006 - 02:37 AM

Quote:
Why couldn't it have been stellar, everyone has been waiting for it? I don't think there was that much enthusiasm about the possible release of "The Searchers, especially on this forum!!!"

Go to the avsforum.com and look at the "Sticky Tier Section of HD DVD's." You'll understand what I mean by 3-D effects in the movie.

It is a stellar release. If they altered the soundtrack any more it would have been awful as usual when they alter older soundtracks. Its great as it is.

I too don't get the Searchers in 3D comment. The Searchers is not a 3-D movie and nothing about the HD-DVD is 3D.

Forbidden Planet has never looked this good on Home Video and I doubt it could have looked any better when it was originally released.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#11 of 23 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,858 posts

Posted November 14 2006 - 03:06 AM

This is one of the problems concerning consumer acceptance of High Def in either format. Many expect every movie to have that pop and dimensionality that Discovery HD and sporting events have. Film has a different look. It's more stylized. Some films are colorful and eyepopping, others are dark and flat, as per the filmmakers intentions. FORBIDDEN PLANET is a colorful film, but it's not going to look like SUNRISE EARTH or Monday Night Football. And that goes for most other films, too.

#12 of 23 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted November 14 2006 - 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Korstick
I too don't get the Searchers in 3D comment. The Searchers is not a 3-D movie and nothing about the HD-DVD is 3D.

I believe they are talking about the 3D look of the vast vista's. In Searcher's, filmed in some of the most beautiful US landscapes, the 3 dimensionality of the image is stunning. Forbidden Planet does not use the backgroud settings that John Ford used in his Westerns, and Matte Paintings tend to not look as 3 deminsional as wide real life vista's. This in no way effects the quality of the Forbidden Planet release, it is just what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry
This is one of the problems concerning consumer acceptance of High Def in either format. Many expect every movie to have that pop and dimensionality that Discovery HD and sporting events have. Film has a different look. It's more stylized. Some films are colorful and eyepopping, others are dark and flat, as per the filmmakers intentions. FORBIDDEN PLANET is a colorful film, but it's not going to look like SUNRISE EARTH or Monday Night Football. And that goes for most other films, too.

After reading some of the comments on the current film releases, I wonder if some of the people commenting have actually seen the release, or is just repeating what was said elsewhere.

#13 of 23 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,517 posts

Posted November 14 2006 - 04:31 AM

Quote:
Many expect every movie to have that pop and dimensionality that Discovery HD and sporting events have. Film has a different look.
True. I always find it interesting to read people saying something like "the transfer shows signs of (gasp! horror of horrors!) FILM GRAIN", as if this is some loathsome error or unpardonable sin. I don't understand why people despise this element of film so much.

#14 of 23 ONLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 851 posts
  • LocationI.E., CA

Posted November 14 2006 - 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppltd
I believe they are talking about the 3D look of the vast vista's. In Searcher's, filmed in some of the most beautiful US landscapes, the 3 dimensionality of the image is stunning. Forbidden Planet does not use the backgroud settings that John Ford used in his Westerns, and Matte Paintings tend to not look as 3 deminsional as wide real life vista's. This in no way effects the quality of the Forbidden Planet release, it is just what it is.

Thanks, I'm glad there was someone that understood what I meant! I can see what you mean now. I've had almost all the incarnations of FB, starting with the $70 VHS pan & scan version, the Criterion LD, the last CAV LD from MGM and the last DVD from Warners/MGM.

It is a beautiful picture but I was expecting a lot more and that was expecting too much. Having a Tosh HD A1 sure spoils you. In the future, I won't expect so much and as you say..."it is just what it is!"

#15 of 23 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted November 14 2006 - 12:25 PM

the term "3-d effects" was coined at AVS by this whacky member "Fettastic" who has been nicknamed the Sharpness kid" over there and mistakes film grain for compression artifacts and wants all HD films regardless of director's intent to look super clean and glossy. .... Ignore the term, it is ridiculous...

#16 of 23 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted November 14 2006 - 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack
the term "3-d effects" was coined at AVS by this whacky member "Fettastic" who has been nicknamed the Sharpness kid" over there and mistakes film grain for compression artifacts and wants all HD films regardless of director's intent to look super clean and glossy. .... Ignore the term, it is ridiculous...

Dave, thanks for the clarification.

#17 of 23 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted November 14 2006 - 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Korstick
It is a stellar release. If they altered the soundtrack any more it would have been awful as usual when they alter older soundtracks. Its great as it is.
I had hoped the studios would have included the original mono (or even better, dual mono) in lossless on these "older" films. They'd save alot of disk space. 14bit CD quality lossless is still lossless if its the original (not everything needs to be up-sampled to 24/96).
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#18 of 23 OFFLINE   Bob_L

Bob_L

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted November 14 2006 - 05:14 PM

Quote:
14bit CD quality lossless is still lossless if its the original

No, if it's an analog recording that has been digitally sampled then it is, by definition, lossy. That's why they call it digital "sampling". Posted Image (What is commonly referred to as "lossy" in today's digital world are codecs that throw out EVEN MORE of the sound on the pretense that we can't make the psychoacoustic distinction. They do pretty well if you're hearing a track in isolation; but it's actually very easy to tell a Dolby Digital track from the original stems in an A/B comparison.)

Nonetheless, I'm quite sure that today's lossy audio codecs can more than keep up with the sound quality of "Forbidden Planet," which (as far as I know) never had the quality level of, for instance, a six-track magnetic soundtrack.

I understand from one of the reviews that the audio has been restored very nicely. I'm REALLY looking forward to this release.

#19 of 23 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,517 posts

Posted November 15 2006 - 12:12 AM

Quote:
if it's an analog recording that has been digitally sampled then it is, by definition, lossy.
Not according to the Nyquist theorem. It shows that if the sampling rate is twice or more of the highest frequency in the signal, nothing is lost. Not only is the Nyquist theorem sound, but people have been unable to tell the difference in blind tests of both LP vs. a digital recording of the LP and live mike feeds vs. a digital recording of the mike feed.

#20 of 23 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted November 15 2006 - 07:44 AM

For those wondering if the Ultimate package was really available, I just recieved confirmation of shipment. Should have it this weekend, and will pack it away undisturbed to keep as a collectors item.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow