What's new

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Yes, The Glass Web would certainly be a pleasant surprise (as would the other mystery-thrillers Second Chance and Dangerous Mission) -- in the extremely unlikely, music-rights-constrained event that were to happen.

The bulk of the remaining Golden Age 3D titles are of course westerns and, as has been noted here and elsewhere, they typically have sold less well than other genres on 3D bu ray (though Hondo would certainly be an exception). Of course, the remaining horror/sci-fi genre Golden Age 3D movies involve guys in gorilla suits or girls in cat suits.

I'd buy 'em all. ;)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Yes, The Glass Web would certainly be a pleasant surprise (as would the other mystery-thrillers Second Chance and Dangerous Mission) -- in the extremely unlikely, music-rights-constrained event that were to happen.

The bulk of the remaining Golden Age 3D titles are of course westerns and, as has been noted here and elsewhere, they typically have sold less well than other genres on 3D bu ray (though Hondo would certainly be an exception). Of course, the remaining horror/sci-fi genre Golden Age 3D movies involve guys in gorilla suits or girls in cat suits.

I'd buy 'em all. ;)
You seem to be one of the Uber-fans and I can appreciate that. I spent some time exploring - is it Bronson Cave? - and could not get the space suit image out of my head. It does seem that the major quality productions have been restored and released.

I know there’s a desire among fans to get Rue Morgue and Feather River out, but reviews on Rue Morgue don‘t seem to send the message of “save me” to corporate execs, and Feather River sounds to have racial overtones that could inhibit the investment, especially via WarnerColor, which harkens expensive problems.

Hondo has been preserved and looks fine - saw it at AMPAS - and I presume that could be released, but with a hefty investment. Not certain if Paramount acquired 3D in their deal with Batjac.

But other than a handful, most seem to be B titles, desired by a ravenous (meant in a good way) dwindling audience.

Is there another A title that might get the interest of a more general audience that just happens to own a 3D capable projector or panel that they’ve possibly never used for 3D?

Returning to I, The Jury…

That’s a beautifully restored film with a major investment, that’s more than decent noir - but not top classic noir, that beautifully plays to 3D fans. Everyone is fortunate that Classic Flix took the gamble on it. But I don’t see it making the jump to a more inclusive audience enough to push the owners of those 3D capable devices to make the investment in sync hardware (for projectors) or glasses.

In other words I see it generally limited to 3D buffs. I don’t think I’d be interested in seeing it if it weren‘t a flawless restoration AND 3D, as it’s such a powerful example of the medium.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
That‘s been my take and I lived through them. Not to try to take pleasure away from 3D lovers, but I just wish there were some very high quality films out there. So many seem like bargain basement B pictures or less.

And then of course, was it the ‘70s? 3D discovered the female breast and gave the world The Stewardesses.

What I’m asking is…

What are the truly important films that just happen to have been shot in 3D?

In that running…

Dial “M”
Kiss Me Kate
House of Wax
Hondo

As opposed to productions like Jury which exists almost solely for 3D, ie the technical process instead of the production.

Films like Avatar exist in 3D as a sort of showpiece or circus act.

Where are films like Rebecca, Best Years of our Lives, Chinatown - in 3D?
. . . . and this is why I've never been over-enthusiastic about 3D. I would add to that short list Inferno starring Robert Ryan and Rhonda Fleming and photographed by Lucien Ballard.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
. . . . and this is why I've never been over-enthusiastic about 3D. I would add to that short list Inferno starring Robert Ryan and Rhonda Fleming and photographed by Lucien Ballard.
Disney.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, but luckily for us fortunate few, a good Blu-ray rendition was released on both sides of the Atlantic before Disney got hold of it.
Right, I have the following three 3-D Blu-ray releases in my disc library:

08-11-14
1667474285449.png

11-17-14
1667474560350.png

05-16-17
1667474606304.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I know there’s a desire among fans to get Rue Morgue and Feather River out, but reviews on Rue Morgue don‘t seem to send the message of “save me” to corporate execs, and Feather River sounds to have racial overtones that could inhibit the investment, especially via WarnerColor, which harkens expensive problems.
The movie "The Charge at Feather River" isn't anymore racist than any other western film produced in the 1950s. That shouldn't be the reason why it's not released. Hell, at this point, I would take a 2-D Blu-ray release because it's never even been released on DVD nor have I ever had the pleasure of watching it in 3-D. At this point, beggars can't be choosers.:)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I have promoted excellent contemporary 3D films in this site, such as:
Wim Wenders' fiction film, Every Thing Will Be Fine; and his documentary, Pina, which shows ballet the way it should be appreciated if you're not there in person. Neither film throws anything at you, but rather shows spatial distances to signify relationships between people or dancers. They're quite impressive.
Another German title is Measuring the World, about two 19th century German giants, Alexander von Humboldt and Carl Friedrich Gauss. And yes, it's exciting and beautiful as well.
Plus there are some very interesting Chinese epics. The trick is that all these films are shot using real 3D cameras, no post conversions here, and they look it.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Are there any more Randolph Scott fans out there? They are not exactly “A” pictures, but I would absolutely love to see The Stranger Wore A Gun and The Bounty Hunter in 3-D. Both films are staged well for depth in 3-D and both have a number of money shots designed to take advantage of stereoscopic photography.

It may never happen, but then again, I can hope, since I never expected that other films like I, The Jury and The Maze would ever see the light of day on 3-D Blu-Ray.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Of those “golden age” productions what is the HTF consensus as to how many are worthy quality aside from simply being in 3D?

I get what you're saying, and I would be personally happy to see the best 30 of the 50 commonly known to be 50's 3D. Already announced is ROBOT MONSTER. There remain HONDO, FORT TI, CAT WOMEN OF THE MOON (guilty pleasure), and HANNAH LEE, both in the hands of Uncle Wade; THE GLASS WEB; CHARGE AT FEATHER RIVER; MONEY FROM HOME, PHANTOM OF THE RUE MORGUE and several cartoons that I would personally consider desirable, if rights and elements can be cleared. I am sure Mr. Furmanek and Co. are looking into all of these as I type. Thanks to all!

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I watched my copy today, and yes it looked amazing, with some great 3D.

I just had a problem with Biff Elliot as Mike Hammer. Neither his stature, voice nor face read as a tough guy PI. His trenchcoat looked awfully padded. And his tough accent sounded odd, almost like a bad Garry Marshall impersonation. And what was with that kiss under the mistletoe? I'm guessing he was supposed to be surprised, but when she kissed him he turned stiff as a board as if he was allergic to women.

I've never read any of the novels, so maybe Biff looks and sounds just like how the character was written. I googled him, and he seemed to have had a nice little B-movie career. I just didn't buy him in this part.

The rest of the cast was great, and I'm sure I'll revisit this one from time to time.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I'd buy 'em all. ;)
I just watched "Dangerous Mission" from a TCM recording that I had on my DVR for several months. Yikes! This 1954 released Technicolor movie that was filmed during the second half of 1953, has some serious color fading. It probably was filmed in widescreen format too, but the TCM showing was in 1.33. This would be a serious financial investment for WAC with their high standards to release this movie on Blu-ray in 3-D.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've received an email from Deep Discount announcing that for the next few days, they're selling I, The Jury for $30.99.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
I just watched "Dangerous Mission" from a TCM recording that I had on my DVR for several months. Yikes! This 1954 released Technicolor movie that was filmed during the second half of 1953, has some serious color fading. It probably was filmed in widescreen format too, but the TCM showing was in 1.33. This would be a serious financial investment for WAC with their high standards to release this movie on Blu-ray in 3-D.
Yep. Afraid you're right, Robert. Hence HTF friend George Feltenstein's good-natured caginess when the question surfaces in interviews of more blu rays of WB-owned '50s 3D titles....

That said, hope springs eternal..... :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A film like Dangerous Mission is something that I would NOT approve for restoration if the request hit my desk.

Especially in the current economy.

Especially at a a studio.

Especially if I desired to keep my job at said studio.

We’ve been discussing bad 3D films for the simple sake of 3D and this is one of them.

Would collectors rather have this or a new 4k of High Society or The Searchers?

Same budget areas.

Which will sell more units, be more profitable, and allow the studio to save more films?

Note:

I’m not suggesting that DM should not be saved - good or bad, if there’s something of any importance attached, it’s worth saving, preserving -

But monies being expended on true full-scale restoration are limited, and those making the decisions must select wisely. In many cases the cost of restoration is beyond their salary, and one cannot make many errors in selection.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A film like Dangerous Mission is something that I would NOT approve for restoration if the request hit my desk.

We’ve been discussing bad 3D films for the simple sake of 3D and this is one of them.

Same budget areas.

Which will sell more units, be more profitable, and allow the studio to save more films?
Yup, it's not a good movie! If I'm Warner, I would rather spend my monies on some titles that will actually move some units.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Yup, it's not a good movie! If I'm Warner, I would rather spend my monies on some titles that will actually move some units.
The most viable way to determine if a 3D production has real quality to it is to view in 2D, and actually watch the film, paying attention to screenplay, acting, and all the tech attributes mit out the circus.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

Same budget areas.

Or have someone else restore it at a lower cost.

"Jury was ultimately done by UCLA utilizing 4K scans from the original 35mm camera negatives. The restoration budget well exceeded $150k.

Diamond Wizard was done by 3DFA from 2K scans of very problematic left/right 35mm fine grains. Our restoration budget was $12k."

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Or have someone else restore it at a lower cost.

"Jury was ultimately done by UCLA utilizing 4K scans from the original 35mm camera negatives. The restoration budget well exceeded $150k.

Diamond Wizard was done by 3DFA from 2K scans of very problematic left/right 35mm fine grains. Our restoration budget was $12k."
Have you seen both?

Do they look alike?

If not, and if there are differences, what are those differences?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks