What's new

Another glowing review for Warners Restoration Department - Forbidden Planet (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Here is a link to the first review I have read on Forbidden Planet, and it is good. This is a movie I grew up on, and can not wait to see it restored in all of it's glory.:)

From the Disney animated Monster, Robby, the 'electronic music' soundtrack, and the ID. What's not to like here.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

Sorry to hear "The dialogue is pretty well center-bound,...". The MGM laser disc had directional dialogue.

Randall Cyrenne

Stunt Coordinator
This, along with King Kong, was my reason for taking the HD DVD plunge. I can't wait to see it in hi def! What an upgrade it should be from the Criterion laserdisc! I've had the collector's set on preorder since it was finally listed at Amazon. It looks oh so very cool. :)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks

It makes me look up at my center speaker which is on top of the TV. It would have been nice to have it move from left to right.

The OAR is slightly thinner than the old SD. Maybe 2.45:1 to 2.50:1.

The only thing it lacks are any 3-D effects which are found on "The Searchers."

I think Warners dropped the ball on this one.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I have not had time to watch this release completely, but a will offer a few comments.

Totally disagree. Warner has done a fine job on this release. While not as stellar as 'The Searchers', I can not see this release disappointing any one who has fond memories of Forbidden Planet.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks

Why couldn't it have been stellar, everyone has been waiting for it? I don't think there was that much enthusiasm about the possible release of "The Searchers, especially on this forum!!!"

Go to the avsforum.com and look at the "Sticky Tier Section of HD DVD's." You'll understand what I mean by 3-D effects in the movie.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

As far as the The Searchers, this is rated as one of John Ford's best movies by many film historians, and certianly is with me. Whether another forum appreciates or has 'enthusiasm' for The Searchers is of little concern to me, as it in no way detracts from the exceptional release of The Searchers.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

It is a stellar release. If they altered the soundtrack any more it would have been awful as usual when they alter older soundtracks. Its great as it is.

I too don't get the Searchers in 3D comment. The Searchers is not a 3-D movie and nothing about the HD-DVD is 3D.

Forbidden Planet has never looked this good on Home Video and I doubt it could have looked any better when it was originally released.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
This is one of the problems concerning consumer acceptance of High Def in either format. Many expect every movie to have that pop and dimensionality that Discovery HD and sporting events have. Film has a different look. It's more stylized. Some films are colorful and eyepopping, others are dark and flat, as per the filmmakers intentions. FORBIDDEN PLANET is a colorful film, but it's not going to look like SUNRISE EARTH or Monday Night Football. And that goes for most other films, too.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

After reading some of the comments on the current film releases, I wonder if some of the people commenting have actually seen the release, or is just repeating what was said elsewhere.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
True. I always find it interesting to read people saying something like "the transfer shows signs of (gasp! horror of horrors!) FILM GRAIN", as if this is some loathsome error or unpardonable sin. I don't understand why people despise this element of film so much.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks

Thanks, I'm glad there was someone that understood what I meant! I can see what you mean now. I've had almost all the incarnations of FB, starting with the $70 VHS pan & scan version, the Criterion LD, the last CAV LD from MGM and the last DVD from Warners/MGM.

It is a beautiful picture but I was expecting a lot more and that was expecting too much. Having a Tosh HD A1 sure spoils you. In the future, I won't expect so much and as you say..."it is just what it is!"

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
the term "3-d effects" was coined at AVS by this whacky member "Fettastic" who has been nicknamed the Sharpness kid" over there and mistakes film grain for compression artifacts and wants all HD films regardless of director's intent to look super clean and glossy. .... Ignore the term, it is ridiculous...

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I had hoped the studios would have included the original mono (or even better, dual mono) in lossless on these "older" films. They'd save alot of disk space. 14bit CD quality lossless is still lossless if its the original (not everything needs to be up-sampled to 24/96).

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom

No, if it's an analog recording that has been digitally sampled then it is, by definition, lossy. That's why they call it digital "sampling". :) (What is commonly referred to as "lossy" in today's digital world are codecs that throw out EVEN MORE of the sound on the pretense that we can't make the psychoacoustic distinction. They do pretty well if you're hearing a track in isolation; but it's actually very easy to tell a Dolby Digital track from the original stems in an A/B comparison.)

Nonetheless, I'm quite sure that today's lossy audio codecs can more than keep up with the sound quality of "Forbidden Planet," which (as far as I know) never had the quality level of, for instance, a six-track magnetic soundtrack.

I understand from one of the reviews that the audio has been restored very nicely. I'm REALLY looking forward to this release.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Not according to the Nyquist theorem. It shows that if the sampling rate is twice or more of the highest frequency in the signal, nothing is lost. Not only is the Nyquist theorem sound, but people have been unable to tell the difference in blind tests of both LP vs. a digital recording of the LP and live mike feeds vs. a digital recording of the mike feed.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
For those wondering if the Ultimate package was really available, I just recieved confirmation of shipment. Should have it this weekend, and will pack it away undisturbed to keep as a collectors item.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks