What's new

Press Release WHV Press Release: Max Fleischer's SUPERMAN 1941-1943 (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Screencaps, of course, don't tell us everything, but the grain scrubbing seems pretty obvious here. It lacks the appropriate "velvety" look of 3-strip.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Screencaps, of course, don't tell us everything, but the grain scrubbing seems pretty obvious here. It lacks the appropriate "velvety" look of 3-strip.
Isn't grain scrubbing going on in all of Warner's 3 strip blu ray's? Look at any of the screen grabs of 1939's The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex - they all look relatively grain free. Those 3 layers of black and white grain are removed pretty much completely. https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Private-Lives-of-Elizabeth-and-Essex-Blu-ray/288922/#Screenshots
Elizabeth.jpg

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Isn't grain scrubbing going on in all of Warner's 3 strip blu ray's? Look at any of the screen grabs of 1939's The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex - they all look relatively grain free. Those 3 layers of black and white grain are removed pretty much completely. https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Private-Lives-of-Elizabeth-and-Essex-Blu-ray/288922/#Screenshots
View attachment 184208
No. The image is NOT grain free. The image beautifully mimics the velvety appearance of original dye transfer Technicolor prints, which were very free of grain as it was lost in the imbibition process.

Warner is doing superlative work on their three-strips. The trick for reviewers (or viewers) is knowing what the film originally looked like and what expectations should be.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
No. The image is NOT grain free. The image beautifully mimics the velvety appearance of original dye transfer Technicolor prints, which were very free of grain as it was lost in the imbibition process.

Warner is doing superlative work on their three-strips. The trick for reviewers (or viewers) is knowing what the film originally looked like and what expectations should be.
I agree that "Warner is doing superlative work on their three-strips". That's why I used Elizabeth and Essex as an example. It's beautiful. But grain is pretty much gone without affecting the apparent sharpness. It's sharper than the original dye transfer would have been. I'm not criticizing Warners but let's face it the grain is gone on Superman and all of the rest of the 3 strips.

Close up.jpeg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree that "Warner is doing superlative work on their three-strips". That's why I used Elizabeth and Essex as an example. It's beautiful. But grain is pretty much gone without affecting the apparent sharpness. It's sharper than the original dye transfer would have been. I'm not criticizing Warners but let's face it the grain is gone on Superman and all of the rest of the 3 strips.
RAH just stated it’s not grain free, so are you saying that’s not true? Furthermore, what do you want Warner to do with their three strips Technicolor movies?

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
RAH just stated it’s not grain free, so are you saying that’s not true? Furthermore, what do you want Warner to do with their three strips Technicolor movies?
I initially was responding to Stephen_J_H saying "but the grain scrubbing seems pretty obvious here. It lacks the appropriate "velvety" look of 3-strip."
I think Warners is doing a great job with their 3 strips. But softening (or removing) most of the grain is definitely a part of their process, whether it's Superman or Elizabeth and Essex. To complain because the grain is being removed on Superman and not notice that it's happening on their other blu rays is not looking at things honestly.

Edit. I just looked at the Elizabeth and Essex's blu ray (on TV) - up close. The image is incredible. It's so sharp and the grain is so very tiny. Amazingly beautiful. You can make out Olivia de Haviland's individual false eyelashes in the mid-shot.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The only other way to make three-strip appear more akin to an original print, would be to de-focus the image, lose detail (high frequency information) and raise contrast.

What they’re doing is fine in my estimation.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
The only other way to make three-strip appear more akin to an original print, would be to de-focus the image, lose detail (high frequency information) and raise contrast.

What they’re doing is fine in my estimation.
I agree. I'm not fighting you on this. I earlier in the other (review) thread said the M. F. Superman on iTunes looks really good (I was surprised after all the negative reviews!). I'm pushing back on those who say Warners botched this release by over-"scrubbing" it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks