What's new

suggestion for my parents (1 Viewer)

Franklin

Agent
hey all,

its been a while since i posted here but i'm looking for some advice for my parents. they just remodeled their living room and want to replace an old pair of kenwood speakers. i cant remember the model number on them, but they were a three way floor model dated back to sometime around 1990. the receiver is a JVC (RX-201) that was bought at the same time.

they want something smaller to fit into the room so they sent me out to see what i can find.

i went to best buy, but they're remodeling by me and its a total mess in there. the speakers were all over the place. so i headed over to tweeter and found a decent pair of polks that sounded nice:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-btOUrh9...00&I=107MON30B

i guess my question is are these overkill for that receiver (and my parents for that matter)? should they just get a cheap pair of sony's or something? thanks!

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Post a budget for us and we can help ya better. Is sound quality important to them at all, or they just want something newer?

Franklin

Agent
i would say anything over 200 is out of the question for them. i don't think sound quality is super important to them, but i don't want to buy them a piece of junk either, you know? i think size is more important to them. they want something that can comfortably sit on top of their cabinet. thanks!

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
If that's the basic JVC I'm remembering from back then, with about 25 watts per channel, then yes it can operate those Polks perfectly fine and probably to levels your parents would never want to listen at.

Also, it would help if we knew their price range and how small is "small" to them.

BTW: if they wanted they could buy a small sub with an 8" woofer ($100 to $300) & using its hi-level speaker inputs, this would make this into a much fuller-sounding system for music for the "average" sized living room (action/adventure movies wouldn't benefit though).

Franklin

Agent
i tried to look up the receiver online but info was a bit short on it. a sub seems out of the question for them as well. also,they would only be using these for listening to CDs.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
How about this (I don't like Polk Audio very much - too analytical sounding IMO):

Infinity Primus 150 (after "savings" & rebate applied): $80/pair

Infinity 8" subwoofer: originally nearly 300, now just $150 on clearance. In CC's enclosed demo room, placed in the corner and paired with some entry-level 5.25" Pioneer bookshelves, all this sounded like a pair of floorstanders with single 8" woofers.

Sony's 8" sub, while not exactly beautiful, for me sounded decent (wasn't boomy after being postioned correctly & had some nice punch for an inexpensive sub).

Franklin

Agent
lance these look good! i have a circuit city near me as well, so tomorrow i'll take a run over and see if i can audition them. thanks!

Franklin

Agent
so today, me and pops went out and picked up a pair of polk RM 101's. we went to the circuit city by us, and they had nothing in stock..not even those infinitys. in fact they looked like they were in construction too like BB...anywho, my dad saw the polks and liked the size of them more than anything else.

they deffinately could use a sub. they're just satellites afterall, but they sound very good as is for now, and they made dad happy because they were small. hah.

i agree lance, when i just had my two front mains a few years ago, the addition of a 12 in sub made me very happy even for just CDs. so, im thinking a small 8in sub is in order for a chritmas gift this year :)

thanks again for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks