What's new

Harmony Remote Alternative (1 Viewer)

Brewder

Grip
Real Name
Troy
Hello,

My Dad is looking for a very simple remote to control all his gear. He currently uses the Harmony 650 but it died and he's looking for something even more simple to use.

The problem is he has a bunch of devices behind a wall and really wants simplicity. The buttons on the Harmony are too small, and too confusing for his spouse.

Anyone have suggestions for "aging parents with complex home theater systems"? :)

When I say complex... it's just a digital cable box, Denon receiver, and BluRay player also used to stream Netflix.

//Brew

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
Sorry, but I can't think of a remote that is simpler than the Harmony (part of what makes it good). I also have a URC MX-890 for my family room, as it has RF capabilities for the components in a different room. This remote is not nearly as easy to use as the Harmony 950 (could just be that they didn't do a great job setting it up), the buttons are smaller, and updates have do be done by a dealer.

Have you looked at the Harmony Touch? It has fewer buttons (less clutter in general), but as a consequence, might require some use of the touch screen. I generally find that more difficult than hard buttons. It also might not support RF.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Hello,

My Dad is looking for a very simple remote to control all his gear. He currently uses the Harmony 650 but it died and he's looking for something even more simple to use.

The problem is he has a bunch of devices behind a wall and really wants simplicity. The buttons on the Harmony are too small, and too confusing for his spouse.

Anyone have suggestions for "aging parents with complex home theater systems"? :)

When I say complex... it's just a digital cable box, Denon receiver, and BluRay player also used to stream Netflix.

//Brew
You might want to try a four-button remote similar to this one.
1596056312331.png

GE 4-Device Backlit Big Button Universal Remote, Black

You you program the tv button for TV, the dvd button for Blu-Ray, strm button for the Cable Box (assuming it's supported), and the aux button for the receiver. I would still have a receiver remote available for more functionality.

I have a similar Phillips version that I bought from Target. Just a note. I have found that universal remotes (like these) don't last long for me so you might want to have an extra on hand if you find it works.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks