What's new

Upgrade bedroom to 5.1 - What are my options? (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I mean, I already have an AVR that supports wireless thru MusicCast in the Yamaha RXV681. Is the new Sony AVR better/different than what I currently have, that is worth the investment?

Without seeing any reliable reviews, I'd guess the new Sony's probably not worth spending on just for this purpose since you already have a Yamaha AVR w/ which you're otherwise very happy. I really doubt Sony's wireless speakers would be any better than Yamaha's (w/out some good reliable reviews to say otherwise) -- personally, I'd probably trust Yamaha's powered speakers for good fidelity sound more than Sony (leaving aside the wireless aspect for a moment)... plus I also feel like Yamaha receivers probably represent better values than Sony's based on past history... though maybe that's changed in recent years...

But sure, maybe wait for some good, reliable reviews (maybe at Audioholics.com for instance) on the new Sony AVRs first before committing... although you might end up waiting another 1/2 to full year for such reviews...

_Man_

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I mean, I already have an AVR that supports wireless thru MusicCast in the Yamaha RXV681. Is the new Sony AVR better/different than what I currently have, that is worth the investment?
I was only thinking that being a new product, if may have improved wireless capability for the rear speakers. As @ManW_TheUncool noted, at this point the jury is still out on that, pending future user reviews. And also as mentioned, you'd have to buy a pair of Sony speakers to go with it,

Taking a closer look at your WX-03 speakers, they seem wholly inadequate for rear surround speakers. They’re rated at only 30 watts at 10% THD, which is an extremely high distortion spec. Most likely at something respectable like 1% THD, they’re probably putting out no more than 15 watts, if that. I don’t see how they could possible keep up with your front channels, rated at 90 watts.

Really, if you want to stick with your current receiver, your best (meaning reliable) wireless option for the rear speakers is probably something like the Alto Stealth system, coupled with a pair of powered speakers. It’s discussed in the article I mentioned in Post #2.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

HelperSeeker

Auditioning
Real Name
Moshe
Yeah. I moved on from the WX-030. Was about to go with the Sonos 5.1 bundle, but you guys insist a wired 5.1 system will be FAR better, and given you are the experts, I'd love to hear what type of 5.1 wired system you recommend for the budget I mentioned.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
IMO the advantage of a wired system will be the best sound quality for the money, because the same price with wireless equipment will have to include the cost of the associated electronics.

If convenience is more important, then by all means go wireless. Just make sure anything you choose comes with a generous return policy. Consumer wireless is simply not as robust as professional gear, so there is always a chance you can have problems. Most user complaints with such systems are typically related to the wireless function.

Other things could be an "everyday use" issue as well. For instance, something that has to be manually "paired" every time I want to use it would be a deal-breaker for me. Life's too short to hassle with stuff like that.

Is the budget you quoted for just the speaker system, or the entire system including AVR?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks