What's new

Speaker Conversion (1 Viewer)

bigdogg

Grip
Real Name
Wes
Hello.
I have the Sony SAVA-500 System. It has two tower speakers with one housing the built-in amplifier/control system. There is a wired center speaker and 2 wired rear speakers. It is basically a 5.1 surround system.
The amplifier doesn't work very well anymore. It stopped sending sound to the center speaker and now the rears don't have sound.
I would like to utilize my Onkyo TX-SR605 Receiver and use these speakers but I don't know how to input signal into the Sony SAVA-500 unit and bypass the built-in amp which I think will only kill the sound output as it is doing now.
Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can achieve this? Thanks.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Suggestion?

Don't waste your time and effort. Just buy (better) new speakers. There are so much that are very affordable and still almost certainly better than those speakers. Your time (both to spend on salvaging *and* enjoying the audio afterward) is most likely worth (far) more than those speakers are worth salvaging me thinks... unless you're looking at this as a labor of love kinda hobby thing that leads to more I guess...

Just buy some Monoprice Encore series on sale for instance -- a couple of us just recently bought some Encore T5's for $90/each (or $180/pair) plus C5 center for $70 (after BIG30 coupon) for instance. OR if you'd like somewhat better (at modestly higher prices), maybe some ELAC Debut 2's or even Uni-Fi 2's -- I now have both the Encore T5/C5's and Uni-Fi 2 towers+center (in separate setups)... though I match them both w/ capable subs for best results.

How handy are you with a soldering iron?

I get the feeling he wouldn't be asking here if he were, LOL.

_Man_

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
If budget allows, I'd second @ManW_TheUncool 's recommendation. Monoprice has some very affordable options. Alternatively, you could buy a direct replacement on the secondary market for a relative song.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The Monolith Encore T5's are currently out of stock on Monoprice but Amazon has them back in stock at the same price ($89.99 each).

The Encore C5 center is NOT on sale at Amazon (currently full price), but those are in stock and on sale with free shipping on the Monoprice site for $99.99 (that $30 coupon mentioned in Man's post expired over a month ago).

You can round out your system with the B5 bookshelves (you will need to add mounting hardware) that are $49.99 each and their 150-watt 8" THX sub for $349.99 on Monoprice.

I have been extremely happy with these speakers, although getting them to my house was a pain in the a$$, mostly due to Fed Ex Ground's screw ups (Monoprice's main carrier). So getting the towers thru Amazon may work out better, as they ship UPS.

If you are looking for a complete speaker system to pair with your Onkyo receiver, Monoprice has some fairly decent Home Theater speaker packages that include subwoofers for around $300 to get you up and running.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The Encore C5 center is NOT on sale at Amazon (currently full price), but those are in stock and on sale with free shipping on the Monoprice site for $99.99 (that $30 coupon mentioned in Man's post expired over a month ago).

Huh... odd... thought I saw that coupon back again a couple days ago. Maybe just some quirk w/ outdated cached page or something.

You can round out your system with the B5 bookshelves (you will need to add mounting hardware) that are $49.99 each and their 150-watt 8" THX sub for $349.99 on Monoprice.

I'd be tempted to recommend just going w/ all T5's even for the surrounds since it may well cost more than the $50/each price diff for good enough stands to make sense. I probably woulda done that myself, except I didn't need/want surrounds for that particular setup.

Too bad he missed the recent SVS sale on (non-Pro) SB-1000s -- looks like that may have been their final clearance on those old 1000 models. I bought a pair to go w/ the Monoprice Encores -- yeah, definitely overkill as 1 shoulda been plenty just for the sub bass in a (very) small space, but I'm liking it this way (and for probable future expansion), hehheh...

Might be good to just see how he likes the T5's w/out sub first before committing to a sub purchase. Who knows? Maybe he'd actually be satisfied enough w/out sub (at least for some time) given what he had before...

I have been extremely happy with these speakers, although getting them to my house was a pain in the a$$, mostly due to Fed Ex Ground's screw ups (Monoprice's main carrier). So getting the towers thru Amazon may work out better, as they ship UPS.

Probably so.

If you are looking for a complete speaker system to pair with your Onkyo receiver, Monoprice has some fairly decent Home Theater speaker packages that include subwoofers for around $300 to get you up and running.

Certainly another good, more budget-friendly way to go...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Realistically, there is a very good chance it wouldn't work anyway. Those speakers could have extremely low impedance that would send the receiver into protection mode, if you actually succeeded in rewiring them. You could try connecting the ones that have speaker wire connections to the receiver and see what happens. Systems like this are proprietary, much like Bose Acoustimass systems, and simply are not designed to be used outside their intended system.

bigdogg

Grip
Real Name
Wes
Realistically, there is a very good chance it wouldn't work anyway. Those speakers could have extremely low impedance that would send the receiver into protection mode, if you actually succeeded in rewiring them. You could try connecting the ones that have speaker wire connections to the receiver and see what happens. Systems like this are proprietary, much like Bose Acoustimass systems, and simply are not designed to be used outside their intended system.
Thanks for the replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks