What's new

Starting to upgrade speakers (2 Viewers)

nydave

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Detor
Got a small Christmas bonus so starting the upgrade process. Currently I have:
Klipsch RP-500m Bookshelf fronts
Klipsch RP-500c Center
Klipsch R-121sw Sub
Klipsch RP-402s Rear Surrounds
I just ordered Klipsch RP-504cii to replace my center. I can get a pair of RP-500fii tower to replace the bookshelfs for about the same price as adding a second subwoofer. I can only do one or the other at this time and looking for advice what would be most beneficial. My system is used 60% movies, 30% tv, and 10% music. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Why do such tiny "upgrade" merely from those bookshelves to tower versions in the same line of mass market speakers like Klipsch? It might not even be an actual upgrade in sound for something like that -- floorstanding versions of such often compromise audio fidelity (further) to gain a slight bit of bass extension while not needing decent stands (that you probably already should've had for the bookshelves).

Probably more or less likewise w/ the center... unless your old center died or something.

What exactly is prompting you to upgrade?

IF I'm upgrading for real, I'd ditch Klipsch altogether, haha... but if you do generally like the (Klipsch) sound as is and don't have any clear reason to upgrade, the sub should probably be the 1st/main thing to upgrade there -- that should probably get you the best value in an upgrade, especially if you do already otherwise like your Klipsch speakers...

Depending on your budget, check out RSL, SVS, Hsu, et al... or maybe even Monoprice (whenever they run great sales at circa 50% off MSRP), if those options exceed your budget.

And welcome to the forum!

_Man_

nydave

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Detor
Why do such tiny "upgrade" merely from those bookshelves to tower versions in the same line of mass market speakers like Klipsch? It might not even be an actual upgrade in sound for something like that -- floorstanding versions of such often compromise audio fidelity (further) to gain a slight bit of bass extension while not needing decent stands (that you probably already should've had for the bookshelves).

Probably more or less likewise w/ the center... unless your old center died or something.

What exactly is prompting you to upgrade?

IF I'm upgrading for real, I'd ditch Klipsch altogether, haha... but if you do generally like the (Klipsch) sound as is and don't have any clear reason to upgrade, the sub should probably be the 1st/main thing to upgrade there -- that should probably get you the best value in an upgrade, especially if you do already otherwise like your Klipsch speakers...

Depending on your budget, check out RSL, SVS, Hsu, et al... or maybe even Monoprice (whenever they run great sales at circa 50% off MSRP), if those options exceed your budget.

And welcome to the forum!

_Man_
Looking for immersive experience. I have no complaints about Klipsch sound at all. Just want more of a cinema like experience. If I were to totally go to another brand it would cost me 3x as a much, and I like my sub and surrounds. If money were no object than I might feel different. And, as far as Klipsch Centers go, the one I ordered is a huge step up as far as dispersion and dialogue from my existing one. So it is in fact for me a huge upgrade.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Then I would suggest upgrading the sub first, especially if the center upgrade already addresses the key issue you have w/ the front channels.

IF you're not using decent stands for those front bookshelves (and placed a decent distance away from most everything else), then that might well be better option than just getting floorstanding versions of those bookshelves -- and then, probably place them as far as away from everything else as possible.

But I would probably still upgrade the sub first (to something other than Klipsch... probably from the shortlist I already mentioned)...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I also suggest upgrading the sub first, and also suggest looking beyond Klipsch to some of the internet direct brands like SVS and Hsu.

nydave

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Detor
I also suggest upgrading the sub first, and also suggest looking beyond Klipsch to some of the internet direct brands like SVS and Hsu.
Would it be better to upgrade to a better sub and get rid of the klipsch and having a single sub instead of 2 of the klipsch? I don't mind doing that but I've been reading 2 subs ideal. I can't at this time afford 2 better subs. Also, would it be fine to run a different brand of sub with all my other klipsch? Sorry for what might seem like a stupid question but I'm new to all this. I was looking at SVS PB-1000PRO

nydave

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Detor
Then I would suggest upgrading the sub first, especially if the center upgrade already addresses the key issue you have w/ the front channels.

IF you're not using decent stands for those front bookshelves (and placed a decent distance away from most everything else), then that might well be better option than just getting floorstanding versions of those bookshelves -- and then, probably place them as far as away from everything else as possible.

But I would probably still upgrade the sub first (to something other than Klipsch... probably from the shortlist I already mentioned)...

_Man_
I'm going to take your advice and forgo the floor speakers and keep the bookshelf I have. What would be a good distance to separate the front? Here is a pic, sorry about pups, they always photobomb me.

Attachments

• dogs.jpg
    dogs.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm going to take your advice and forgo the floor speakers and keep the bookshelf I have. What would be a good distance to separate the front? Here is a pic, sorry about pups, they always photobomb me.

I would actually generally want to move speakers away from walls, not just other things... although not sure how much that would actually help w/ those Klipsch speakers -- the better the speakers, the more likely the benefit of that. That probably wouldn't apply to subwoofers though.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks