What's new

Start with Center Channel? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Scott
I've been thinking about upgrading my speakers. I really like my HSU subwoofer but would upgrade everything else and maybe get a 2nd HSU. Given the following assumptions: 1) its use will be 95% Home theater. 2) The center channel is the most important speaker for Home Theater. 3) You should match your L/R to your center. Shouldn't the first question be is who makes the best center channel in my price range and start from there?

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
I've been thinking about upgrading my speakers. I really like my HSU subwoofer but would upgrade everything else and maybe get a 2nd HSU. Given the following assumptions: 1) its use will be 95% Home theater. 2) The center channel is the most important speaker for Home Theater. 3) You should match your L/R to your center. Shouldn't the first question be is who makes the best center channel in my price range and start from there?
Can you share which speakers you have as well as your price range?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Given the following assumptions: 1) its use will be 95% Home theater. 2) The center channel is the most important speaker for Home Theater. 3) You should match your L/R to your center. Shouldn't the first question be is who makes the best center channel in my price range and start from there?

Huh... I hadn't heard that before. Where did you get that from?

IMHO, you can actually get away w/out a center speaker at all under certain circumstances/configs, but never the front L/R (and still be trying to do HT) -- I actually did go w/out a center speaker (w/ perfectly fine results) for many years, but I wouldn't recommend that for a large HT/space (and/or w/ the front L/R spaced far apart) or using cheap-ish gear/speakers.

BTW, I like my Hsu (VTF-3 Mk5) subwoofer as well... and is the only speaker I've kept in my recently updated HT -- I went w/ all ELACs for the rest (w/ their Uni-Fi 2.0 series for L/C/R).

_Man_

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Shouldn't the first question be is who makes the best center channel in my price range and start from there?
The problem is, if there was an actual "Best" then there wouldn't be 2,000 different speaker manufacturers.

As Man said, the center is important, but not more important than the L&R. They all just need to match, ideally. So, you need to decide on the front three speakers. Of course, budget is the main factor in that, as well as some info about the room. So, you need to provide a budget in order to get any constructive suggestions.

Real Name
Scott
Huh... I hadn't heard that before. Where did you get that from?

IMHO, you can actually get away w/out a center speaker at all under certain circumstances/configs, but never the front L/R (and still be trying to do HT) -- I actually did go w/out a center speaker (w/ perfectly fine results) for many years, but I wouldn't recommend that for a large HT/space (and/or w/ the front L/R spaced far apart) or using cheap-ish gear/speakers.

BTW, I like my Hsu (VTF-3 Mk5) subwoofer as well... and is the only speaker I've kept in my recently updated HT -- I went w/ all ELACs for the rest (w/ their Uni-Fi 2.0 series for L/C/R).

_Man_
You got me. I made it up.
:P:P:P:P

Nah, JK. Here you go.

From the above article...."The center channel carries roughly 70 percent of the entire soundtrack, and even more in specific moments".

From the above article..."A center channel speaker is a critical component of a home theater system set-up as it delivers about 70% of the dialogue from movies and television. Without one, you’re missing out on vital parts of what you’re watching. Trust us - we know what we are talking about, especially on this topic."

I think too it comes with the assumption that whatever L, C, R speakers one uses, they are going to be the same manufacturer and family. I've also read that is extremely important as well.

Real Name
Scott
Can you share which speakers you have as well as your price range?
I currently have a 5.1 system with Phase Technology Teatro series 6.5 center channel and Teatro 4.5 surrounds. The center has dual 5 1/4" woofers and 1" soft dome tweeter. The Surrounds have a 1" tweeter and a single 5 1/4" woofer.

I'd be looking to get floor speakers for the L and R. My budget would be around $1000-$2000 for the center and 2 towers. I'd probably just keep the Phase techs for the rears for now.

Real Name
Scott
Some suggestions...

ELAC Debut F62 and C62 - $1,440
Monoprice THX-460T and THX-365C - $2,000 or $1,700 with Open Box THX-365C
ELAC UniFi UF52 and UC52 - $1,850 but there are frequent sales.
KEF Q550 and Q250C - $2,000
I really like all these suggestions. I did a little research into each of them and of course when I got on the KEF website I was actually drawn to the Q750's which the towers aren't bad at about $800 each but its another $800 for the center. A little over my budget but it looks like Best buy carries them so hopefully I can go listen to both the Q550's and 750's and compare.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks