What's new

Ordered Paradigm Monitor (8000x2, atoms x2, and center x1) which receiver (1 Viewer)

CatNipper

Auditioning
Real Name
SARA ROY
So I am very confused when it comes to Audio Equipment,

What I gather is,

The 8000 speakers are Max 150W each,
The Atoms are Max 50W each
and the center is max 50W

Now, when I start to read about powering these units with receivers, there is what is called "Channel Driven 1ch 2ch etc.."

Theoretically, if i'm driving all 5 speakers, they should be 5 Channel Driven no?

I don't have the budget for an Anthem receiver shown on site.

Is there an A/V 4K/120Hz capable of doing 5 Channel drive, or what should I be looking for when I want to "maximize the ability of the 8000's @ 150W each without driving too much power over 150W to them, or having them underpowered.

I understand is there is a 2CH driven receiver, then 2 Channels are true to the wattage delivered but if you run 5 channels then its split off accordingly.

I am such a newbie to audio, what made me order the paradigms, is I heard them in person and the sound was impeccable clear and focused.. it wasn't leaking all over the place. This was indeed an impulse buy without thinking I would need a receiver to drive them :(

Any input is greatly appreciated.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 8000 speakers are Max 150W each,
The Atoms are Max 50W each
and the center is max 50W
Completely ignore those specs. They are worthless. They will only cause confusion. You can have too little power, but there is really no such thing as too much power. You can have more power available than you need, but there's no real negative to it. It just goes unused.

What is your target budget? What do you want to do? Is 5.1 as far as you want to be able to go, or might you want to go with Atmos, 7.1, etc.?

Do you actually need 4K 120Hz? If you're not doing high end gaming, you don't need 120Hz.

What is the specific center speaker model?

CatNipper

Auditioning
Real Name
SARA ROY
@JohnRice

Monitor SE 2000C (center)
I do PS5@120hz 4k on a Q90T Samsung

My budget would preferably be $2000 tax in Ill be sticking with 5 channels only.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I generally agree with Sam's recommendation of the Denon X3800H... however... Denons are currently available on closeout and you can get the X4700H for less than the X3800H.

I might have to dig further, but I believe the X4700H has reliable 4K/120 hdmi on all inputs. There were some early 8K capable receivers that had hdmi problems, but I believe the X700 series is past that.

@Sam Posten , do you have any reason not to get a 3700 or 4700 instead on closeout?

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
Denon AVR-X4700h has only 1 HDMI input that's compatible with 4K 120Hz. You can get the Denon AVS-3 for $200 more which extends it to 3 HDMI 4K 120Hz inputs. That's a total of $1700. This is a 9.1 receiver so you'll be paying for 4 amplified channels you won't be using. 125 watts/channel

For the same $1700 you can get the Denon AVR-X3800h which has all it's HDMI inputs 4K 120Hz compatible. Once again, 4 amplified channels you can't use. 105 watts/ch

For $800 you can can get the Denon AVR-X2700h which has 1 4K 120Hz input then add the Denon AVS-3 for $200 to have a total of 3 HDMI 4K 120Hz inputs. Total price is then $1000. This is a 7.1 receiver. 95 watts/ch

For $1200 you can get the Denon AVR-x2800h which has 3 HDMI 4K 120hz inputs, and adds a prettier HD setup menu On-Screen Display over the Denon AVR-X2700h plus the AVS-3 HDMI switch box. This is a 7.1 receiver. 95 watts/ch

Not worth getting the Denon AVR-3700h for $1200 with 1 HDMI 4K 120hz input, the Denon AVR-3800h is a better value with more features and all inputs 8k/4K 120hz compatible. 105 watts/ch

or
for $900 get a Denon AVR-S970h which is a similar model to the AVR-X2800h with standard Audyssey only, and some watered down custom and zone 2 features, along with by-amping on the extra two 7.1 amp channel outputs taken away. 90 watts/ch

IMO, I feel the AVR-X2700h + Denon AVS-3 for a total of $1000 is the best choice especially considering you use only a 5.1 HT Setup.

If you feel that you only need 1 HDMI 4K 120Hz input, then I vote for either the AVR-X2700h if you plan to bi-amp speakers or have 2 sets of main speakers, or use custom features or use multi zone features. Otherwise, the AVR-S960H.

Your actual use will dictate which receiver fits you best.

Good luck on your decision.

Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Keep in mind that all of the wattage ratings Mike listed for the various Denon models are absolutely useless as well. ALL receiver manufacturers post trumped up power output specifications that don’t translate to real world usage. “75W per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 10%, 1ch driven)” is not a reliable spec and I honestly wish receiver manufacturers wouldn’t post them. It’s like if Honda posted a mpg rating for my Civic of “80mpg downhill in neutral following a tractor trailer with the wind at my back”. It’s utterly useless.

I own a Denon S750H (with the wattage spec I listed above LOL) and drive a 5.1.2 Atmos setup with it. My speakers are all 20+ year old v1 Paradigms with the exception of my Atmos bounce speakers which are ELAC Debuts. My mains are Paradigm Monitor 9s, the center channel is a Paradigm CC-350, surrounds are a pair of Paradigm ADP-170s, and my sub is a v1 Paradigm Servo 15. Movies and music both sound fantastic.

If you want all of your inputs to be 4K 120Hz, I would go with Sam’s suggestion of the X3800H. If you only need one 4K 120 input, the X4700H (or really any 5 channel receiver) should be fine. I personally recommend Denon if you don’t want to spend the money on Marantz or Anthem.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
“75W per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 10%, 1ch driven)” is not a reliable spec and I honestly wish receiver manufacturers wouldn’t post them.
I own a Denon S750H (with the wattage spec I listed above LOL)
Your receiver is 75W (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive) or it's a whopping 165W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 10%, 1ch driven) or 110W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.7%, 2 ch drive). Unfortunately no dynamic wattage rating.

I honestly feel that wattage ratings are needed (I wouldn't buy a receiver if it had no ratings). It helps determine what the receiver is capable of.

The dynamic output is most useful as lower impedance power output can determine the overall sound. If the receiver can't put out as much power into a 4 ohm load as an 8 ohm load, the power going to the speaker could be half of the rated 8 ohm power or even lower, before clipping. If your speakers are of a low sensitivity as 86 db, it may not drive your speakers loud enough in a large room without clipping or high distortion.

I actually wish receivers came with 2 ratings from 20Hz to 20KHz, with an 8 ohm and a 4 ohm RMS rating along with a dynamic wattage rating into different impedances. Even if the receiver isn't designed for 4 ohm nominal speakers, most speakers do have a 4 ohm dip in their overall impedance. Of course if this 4 ohm dip is in the bass, it may not matter if you are using a powered subwoofer.

I guess Denon stopped rating in dynamics for the lower models. Only the AVR-X4*** has dynamics and it's disappointing. The AVR-X4800h is a 125 w/ch receiver but dynamic output rating is only 130W into 8 ohms and 190W into 4 ohms. My old Denon AVR-3803 is a 110 w/ch receiver and was rated 140W into 8 ohms and 210W into 4 ohms.

They might be under rating but who knows.

Last edited:

CatNipper

Auditioning
Real Name
SARA ROY
I ended up buying the AVR x3800h its going good for the monitor SE series, however, it seems like an equalizer in the mix may help maximize the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks