What's new

Soundbar/Theater system (2 Viewers)

CesarM

Auditioning
Real Name
Cesar
Hi all, I'm sure everyone knows TV speakers don't sound all that great, so I purchased a soundbar (Yamaha SR-30A) which I'm happy with, which at the moment is hooked up the optical out from the TV. So here's the thing, I'd like to switch between my TV soundbar and Home Theater, my preferred choice would be using the eARC connection from TV to soundbar but the AVR is using that connection. So the question is can a splitter or switcher be used, and will they even work due to the eARC? I've already tried the OREI HDA 929 eARC Audio Extractor but with no success.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You're not the first person who has wanted to make things "easier" by wanting to do this. I'm not aware of a solution that's actually simpler than just using the surround system you have.

CesarM

Auditioning
Real Name
Cesar
You're not the first person who has wanted to make things "easier" by wanting to do this. I'm not aware of a solution that's actually simpler than just using the surround system you have.
I appreciate the reply but seems there should be a simple solution, like just splitting or switching the ARC/eARC.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Simply put I don't want to use my expensive hometheater system just to watch low level programing or movies.
Why not? You paid good money for it, so you may as well enjoy it. I have used my B&W speaker system for all viewing on the main system for approximately 25 years. Using the speakers less isn't going to make them last longer.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yep. Same here. Trust us, we’ve thought about this as well. This is the solution we’ve realized makes the most sense.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If your TV has a headphone jack that’s working all the time, no matter what, and if your soundbar has analog inputs (either a headphone jack or RCAs), that should get what you're after.

BTW, audio extractors blow out the 5.1 processing. All you’ll get from them is 2.0 Dolby Pro Logic, ala the 1990s.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

CesarM

Auditioning
Real Name
Cesar
Why not? You paid good money for it, so you may as well enjoy it. I have used my B&W speaker system for all viewing on the main system for approximately 25 years. Using the speakers less isn't going to make them last longer.
Respect your opinion but I'd rather not use my system on crappy material. Doesn't make any sense.

CesarM

Auditioning
Real Name
Cesar
If your TV has a headphone jack that’s working all the time, no matter what, and if your soundbar has analog inputs (either a headphone jack or RCAs), that should get what you're after.

BTW, audio extractors blow out the 5.1 processing. All you’ll get from them is 2.0 Dolby Pro Logic, ala the 1990s.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Looks more and more like the best option is going to be the optical connection. Not really concerned with surround, just want something better than TV speakers. My sound bar also has an added subwoofer output. I'm actually pretty impressed how good it sounds. To bad I can't use the TVs eARC, which would have allowed me to use one remote, I think. Thank for replying!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks