What's new

Atmos soundbar vs. home theater in a box (1 Viewer)

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
I’m about to provision my first home theater. It will be a living room in a one-bed apt, so nothing too fancy, and no wall or ceiling mounting. I’m looking to spend at or below $1000 for audio.

Debating between a Atmos capable soundbar with sub and satellites and a 7.1 or 5.1 “home theater in a box” as my starter home theater. My main questions/concerns:

1. Is Atmos out of a bar system actually convincing, or am I better off putting the money towards a higher quality surround system with a receiver? My main concern is whether upward firing speakers actually work well.

2. Most of these soundbars seem to be 2 regular HDMI plus HDMI ARC. So I’m looking at 4KBD and cable via HDMI into the bar, and smart features from the TV via ARC. Will this work well, or would I appreciate having a receiver with multiple inputs and adding a Roku or the like? I suppose I could also run cable direct into the TV and then get that sound via Arc, then still have the Roku using one of the bar‘s inputs.

3. Wireless subs/rears with sound bar: do they actually work, or will I be fighting them?

thank you for your insight!

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
One of these Atmos capable systems may really be what is best for my needs... but I can’t for the life of me figure where I can buy one. Is Onkyo going through a phase right now or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks