Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Calvin and Hobbes.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
90 replies to this topic

#1 of 91 OFFLINE   David Galindo

David Galindo

Screenwriter

• 1,264 posts

Posted October 03 2005 - 05:35 PM

The Complete Collection got released today.

Posted Image

Im really considering getting it. Man, I love Calvin and Hobbs...most of the philosophy flew over my head back in the day, but reading it now is such a rich and enjoyable experience. I cant wait.

#2 of 91 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,876 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted October 03 2005 - 06:33 PM

Much more Hobbes....a leviathan of a collection as it were.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#3 of 91 OFFLINE   FeisalK

FeisalK

Screenwriter

• 1,245 posts

Posted October 03 2005 - 06:47 PM

Posted Image
>
DVD-A registry for hirez/surround audio
Bluray, DVD-Audio, DAD/HDAD, DualDisc, MVI

#4 of 91 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,657 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted October 03 2005 - 11:53 PM

My sister who manages a Barnes and Nobles says she just got the stock in, it's heavy!

I too, miss calvin and hobbes. I think I stopped reading the sunday comics on a regular basis after C&H stopped its run.

Plus, Watterson has some really funny cycling related strips:

Posted Image

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#5 of 91 OFFLINE   Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted October 04 2005 - 12:10 AM

I've been hoping for this one ever since I read about the Complete Far Side collection from a few years back. I'm actually holding off on this one until after Christmas (since it's the kind of thing that someone might give me), but I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Ah, Calvinball...
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

#6 of 91 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted October 04 2005 - 12:28 AM

This is a must for me. I have a friend who is a cartoonist and he had a strip for a few years with the same syndicate that had Watterson. After he signed, he asked one of big wigs "Just why did Watterson go out like he did". The guy replied "Lenny, if you could sit on your yacht in your underwear and paint watercolors for the rest of your life, wouldn't you do it?" Classic...

#7 of 91 OFFLINE   ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted October 04 2005 - 12:39 AM

One can wish though, wouldn't some new Calvin and Hobbes just be great right about now?

I agree with the previous post from Jay - I have taken little interest in the Sunday comics since they went away. I do try to catch Opus these days though....
It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink:

#8 of 91 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,213 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 04 2005 - 12:40 AM

Too cool for school:

--the strip

--the complete collection

--Watterson's retirement

From Publisher's Weekly via amazon.com:
Quote:
Following in the wake of Gary Larson's The Complete Far Side, and with a 250,000-copy "limited edition" first printing, the publisher realistically predicts that this book will be "the heaviest and most expensive book ever to hit the New York Times best seller list."

HERE'S the amazon.com listing.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#9 of 91 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted October 04 2005 - 02:43 AM

I was such a fan of the strip that I named my cats Calvin and Hobbes. This is a little pricey, but if I'm very good for the rest of the year, I may have to give this to myself as a Christmas present. Posted Image

Regards,

Joe

#10 of 91 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted October 04 2005 - 02:54 AM

I've been looking forward to this all year and have been waiting for release day... but I'm broke!

I'm so frustrated, the Hitchcock Collections streets today also as well Cinderella and the Val Lewton set and I'm literally walking around with two twenties in my wallet and half a tank of gas!!

I need to make some quick cash, if I don't own this set by the end of the week I'll be a really dissapointed man!

#11 of 91 OFFLINE   JayDerek

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator

• 234 posts

Posted October 04 2005 - 03:13 AM

I pre-ordered mine through Overstock.com and I should be getting it within a day or two *crosses fingers*

Here's a link to some pictures of the books from someone who got the set early -

http://forum.dvdtalk....7&page=6&pp=25
~Jason

#12 of 91 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted October 04 2005 - 04:17 AM

I am so tempted to get this. But, I should get my family to get me this for xmas instead and save a few bucks.
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#13 of 91 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted October 04 2005 - 04:30 AM

Quote:
I have taken little interest in the Sunday comics since they went away. I do try to catch Opus these days though....
Grr... Calvin & Hobbes reprints have bumped Opus off the front page of the Boston Glob's comic section, where it's shrunk to not even get the full width of a page. Not that I don't appreciate seeing the C&H stuff, but couldn't they have reduced Dilbert, Garfield, or Doonesbury, which aren't as elborately detailed and colored? Or "Ask Shagg". F--- "Ask Shagg".
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#14 of 91 OFFLINE   David Galindo

David Galindo

Screenwriter

• 1,264 posts

Posted October 04 2005 - 05:58 AM

Zits is also a pretty good cartoon, as is Foxtrot, which is enough for me to open to the comics page every once in a while. But so far nothing for me has even come close to Calvin and Hobbes.

#15 of 91 OFFLINE   Ken Chui

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted October 04 2005 - 06:36 AM

I just ordered my copy on Overstock.com; for $77.90 shipped, it was too good of a price to pass or postpone.

#16 of 91 OFFLINE   JayDerek

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator

• 234 posts

Posted October 04 2005 - 06:36 AM

Quote:
But so far nothing for me has even come close to Calvin and Hobbes.

David> I agree. I used to really look forward to opening the comics pages every morning and reading Calvin and Hobbes. Before the collections came out i used to cut out and paste every one in a scrapbook.
~Jason

#17 of 91 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted October 04 2005 - 06:42 AM

I'm a newspaper subscriber and read the comics everyday. There's been several recent strips that I like - The Boondocks, Get Fuzzy, and my favorite, Brewster Rockit: Space Guy!. My newspaper thankfully reruns Peanuts strips, and I still read classics like Blondie, Beetle Bailey and Hagar the Horrible for that comfortable sameness that still gives me a chuckle (plus Blondie and Cookie are still by far the hottest ladies in comics).

But Calvin & Hobbes was one of a kind - consistently funny, emotional, politically, socially, and artistically aware, concerned with growing up and parenting, and disecting human behavior and culture and as if this weren't enough topically, Watterson provided a striking visual style.

There's this conservative-bent strip called Prickly City that is a total C&H ripoff only every frame is completely boring to look at. The creator doesn't have a smidgen of Watterson's artistry.
2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#18 of 91 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,996 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted October 04 2005 - 06:42 AM

It was a sad winter day when we saw our last C&H. The strip almost SUSTAINED me in college. As beautiful and touching and funny as anything the medium ever produced. To save some bucks, this is a Christmas gift from my folks to me, so I have to wait two months to get mine Posted Image

I already have the monstrous 2-tome Far Side. This is one of the few things that'll be better.

Great pictures,
Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#19 of 91 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted October 04 2005 - 06:43 AM

Quote:
Plus, Watterson has some really funny cycling related strips:

I keep the one where the father rides his bike in the snow to get his heart rate up in my heart rate monitor case. Priceless.

The Washington Post has a review of the collection here.

#20 of 91 OFFLINE   JayDerek

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator

• 234 posts

Posted October 04 2005 - 09:02 AM

http://metaphilm.com...php?id=29_0_2_0

a funny comparison of Calvin and Hobbes to Fight Club. Posted Image
~Jason

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow