Calvin & Hobbes question

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Evan Case, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Evan Case

Evan Case Screenwriter

After recently buying the mammoth Complete Far Side collection (among the best $81 I've ever spent), I've decided to catch up on my other favorite comic strip from the late-80s/early-90s, Calvin & Hobbes.

The only books I still own are the Tenth Anniversary and Attack of the Deranged Killer Monster Snow Goons (or some such title).

I know that the last 4-5 years (starting with Snow Goons) are only available in seperate, single editions, while the first 6 years were available individually and in a trio of Treasury editions (Essential, Indispesible, and Authorative). I've heard conflicting reports about the completeness of the Treasuries, some saying they include everything from the first six sets, others saying that they used only selected strips, with the real incentives being colorized Sunday strips, a small (though exclusive) cartoon, and a cheaper per-comic price.

So basically, my question is, do I have to buy each of the first six single sets to get all of the early syndicated strips, or will the Treasury sets cover the first six years completely?

Thanks.

Evan

P.S. Is there anything special about the two Sunday collections (Lazy Sunday and Sunday Strips 1985-1995) that would make them required purhases?

2. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

I had found a site that posted every single comic of C&H by date but it looks as though youve done your research and have probably found that site [im assuming its the official web site]

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Last year the San Francisco Cartoon Museum had a C&H exhibit. Without a doubt it was the best time I ever had in a Museum. If you ever get a chance to see the originals, jump at it.

4. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Hmm...i'd always assumed (*key word*) that they contained the whole thing, but I could be wrong. I like the treasuries since they have the Sunday comics printed in color, and usually at the beginning contain a nice full page colored drawing, or an extended story.

btw, if you have any Half Price bookstores in your area you might be able to find some of these books cheap, and in some cases new as well.

5. Matthew Watson

Matthew Watson Stunt Coordinator

I came across this link:http://www.reemst.com/calvin_and_hobbes/?page=books

a few weeks ago. It has the breakdowns of which books contain what strips, including the dates. There seems to be one missing strip in the entire run, otherwise it looks like the series is collected in its entirety.

6. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

7. Evan Case

Evan Case Screenwriter

Thanks for that link, Matthew (I had to fiddle with the url to get it to work, though).

It appears that the treasury route is the best way to go to collect the first six years, as you get all of the strips, plus color Sundays, additional little stories, and a cheaper price. All that's really sacrificed is additional cover art, and some forewards/poems, minor drawings.

According to the link, the first Sunday book has an additional 10-page Spaceman Spiff story, while the latter compiles Watterson's favorite Sundays with commentary and early sketchwork.

Thanks, guys.

Evan

8. Evan Case

Evan Case Screenwriter

For all those still interested, this is taken directly from the owner of the huge C&H fan site Matthew linked:

Evan

9. Matthew Watson

Matthew Watson Stunt Coordinator

10. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I miss the strip, too. I wasn't aware of the web site; nice to have a comprehensive list that will let me get all the strips. (I have a couple of C&H books but there is significant overlap among the strips included.)

My two cats are named "Calvin" and "Hobbes". (But nobody ever manages to spell "Hobbes" correctly. [​IMG] )

Regards,

Joe

11. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    These strips were probably the single most brilliant use of the medium in recent decades. I really treasured the collections I bought, and the new strip. It's final Sunday was bittersweet [​IMG]

I'd love to see some strips in a museum...sometime soon, I hope.

I'd love to see something similar to the recent Far Side collection.

Instant buy,
    Chuck

12. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

13. Evan Case

Evan Case Screenwriter

Much Madness is divinest sense--
    To a discerning Eye--
    Much Sense--the starkest Madness--
    'Tis the Majority
    In this, as All, prevail--
    Assent--and you are sane--
    Demur--you're straightaway dangerous--
    And handled with a Chain

- Emily Dickinson

Evan

(Ok, maybe having a talking stuffed tiger at age six hints at a little bit of social awkwardness. [​IMG])

14. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

15. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

16. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

But Calvin & Hobbes often get into situations that Calvin could not get into himself without Hobbes' help. How can you explain that if Hobbes is just a stuffed tiger?

Bill Watterson said in one of his books that one reason he has never allowed any licensing of his characters is that it might define Hobbes as being real or not. If I recall correctly he specificly sited not allowing stuffed toys of Hobbes to be made because than Hobbes would be a stuffed toy. I'm pretty sure Watterson even said that he doesn't know if Hobbes is real or not. I believe that was all written in the 10th anniversary book.

He also explained a bit about why there are so few other characters. He regretted having added the uncle in a few strips because that defined the parents more. The whole comic is very much devoted to Calvin and how he sees and interacts with the world around him. That's part of why there are so few other characters and so little depth where they are involved.

17. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

18. Ralph_G

Ralph_G Auditioning

19. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

There have been specific strips in which Calvin has climbed trees in which he'd need Hobbes to boost him up there. In one he was hanging from the branch after Hobbes lifted him up, then Hobbes took off Calvin's shoes.

Sure, you could analyze each strip and theorize how Calvin did it himself. However as it's been shown, Watterson doesn't view it one way or another. So regardless of how we can explain it, it's moot. It's Watterson's world, and what he says goes.

20. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor