What's new

Calvin and Hobbes. (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Even though I have all the C&H paperbacks, I pre-ordered this set from Amazon months ago. Can't wait to get it.

It's especially nice to get the whole 10 years in one set. I'm also collecting the Complete Peanuts books, and it's going to be another decade before that set is done. :frowning:

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

It's a profit deal, they're trying to move this box set.
It's working, I brought one home today. ;)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, well, the Globe isn't holding that part of the bargain up. It looks pretty bad shrunk down, too - I really hope Breathed opts to collect the first couple years in a book with glossy, high-quality paper sometime soon, because even when it was printed at full-size, it was painfully clear that newspaper printing isn't up to what he's producing here.

But they are fantastic - it's a happy, happy Wednesday for my when a new volume arrives at the local comic shop.

The same folks are doing the Complete Dennis the Menace, and flipping through it, I'm shocked how good those early ones are - much more bite than the watered down version I remember reading ten or so years ago.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I just bought it from Overstock.com for $77.90. I can't wait till it gets here!

Thanks for the link Jay. I actually have that printed out and been meaning to re-read it. I wonder if Andrew Kevin Walker is a big C&H fan.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor

No argument about the quality of the "Peanuts" volumes. But 2 2-year volumes a year makes for a LONG wait to complete the series. Why, Fox may even have all the "Simpsons" DVD sets out before then!! ;)

Randy B A

Supporting Actor

I would have to go with ms buxley from beatle bailey.

Anyway, I picked this up at costco yesterday. I could not believe how heavy this set is.

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator
When I went home for lunch, this was waiting for me. As much as I knew it was going to be heavy, i wasn't prepared at how heavy it turned out to be!

I didn't have a lot of time to look through the set, but here are some of my first impressions:
- very heavy!
- the 3 individual books seem very sturdy. they should hold up to plenty of readings.
- a little difficult to get the books out of the case.
- the new 14 page introduction is fantastic, it even has some examples of earlier work by Watterson. He seems to be in a happy place right now and is proud of the work he's done on Calvin and Hobbes.
- on the bottom of each page you see the dates the strips were first published.
- the watercolor strips he did for some of the collections appear in these books in what seems to be around the time he did them.
- the watercolor covers he did for the collections are also throughout these books.
- the coloring of the Sunday strips from his earlier strips is MUCH improved over what we've seen in the previously collected strips.

I have a feeling all i'll be doing tonight is reading these! If you're on the fence about these, they are definitely worth it! If you're not into Calvin and Hobbes and know someone who is, these would make fantastic bday or xmas presents!!!

~Jason

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

Is the B&M price the same as it is online? Their website shows $86.99 (S&H is $19.48 though).

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Got it for $80.60 at Overstock, with shipping. The quoted price above is no longer in effect. New price is $88.00, but there's a 10% off coupon listed on DVD Price Search that brings it down by $8.80. Good enough, I guess. Shipping is sure cheap on something this big and heavy.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I'd love to have this set. Suddenly I feel like Calvin around Christmastime trying not to throw a snowball at Susie :)

I have some of the paperbacks, but not all. This was the first strip I fell in love with as a kid. And its still great. The 10th anniversary book is invaluable because of Watterson's commentary.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

I'm with you there-that's the first time I found out that the characters are actually named for the philosophers. Thought it was just a strange coincidence at first (and it was a joke in our HS history class). Is the commentary preserved (or is there new commentary) in the new book?

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator
The commentary from the '10th Anniversary' and 'Sunday Pages 1985-1995' is not repeated in this new collection.

There is a new introduction (~14 pages) by Watterson. You'll definitely want to keep those 2 older collections to retain Watterson's commentary.

~Jason

One of the strips reprinted in The Complete Calvin and Hobbes has been altered. In the last two panels of the 11-25-88 strip, the phrase "biological mother" has been changed to "a good mother" and the strip's punchline is now different. The strip now ends with "Yeah, right. Let's see your training certificate" instead of "Really, how much did you pay for me?" Perhaps someone felt the original was somehow offensive to adoptees? (This adoptee found it funny as is.:) ) Hold on to your copy of Weirdos from Another Planet! if you want the strip as it originally appeared.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
Hmm...maybe that is how the strip originally was printed and it was changed to Watterson's preference for the Weirdos book?

Do the strips have the date on them? Andrews and McMeel's comic strip books don't normally have the date of publication included.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks