-

Photo
- - - - -

where to put the sub

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 scott_seth

scott_seth

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 06:52 AM

Hi - need some advice on sub placement.

I have a large screen projection tv surrounded by a bridge unit. Front speakers on either side, center channel above the TV, rear surround on the corners behind me.

So is there a preferred place for a sub ?. My instincts tell me in the center, on the floor, but that is not possible because it will just stick out in front of the TV and look bad enough for my wife to complain to me for screwing up the decor of the family room - (believe me I've already heard enough of that).

Any ideas where else I can put it ?

SLS

#2 of 10 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,432 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted December 23 2003 - 06:56 AM

Any space in the corner?
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#3 of 10 scott_seth

scott_seth

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 06:59 AM

yes there could be - will it be weird hearing the low sound coming from one side of the room ? I guess I'm just used to balance ....

does it matter, front or rear corner ?

#4 of 10 CarlosM

CarlosM

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 07:21 AM

low frequency sound gives the feeling of coming from all around you --- not a specific point in space. Try a corner.. infact, try all 4. see which one you like best.... if not, u may also want to try directly behind your sitting position.

#5 of 10 Jason_A

Jason_A

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 07:39 AM

In the corner or near a wall. Supposedly it sounds better doing this.

It does matter where you put the sub despite what many believe or say.

Jason

#6 of 10 Dave Pobuda

Dave Pobuda

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 08:29 AM

Although subs are omni-directional it does matter where you place them to get seamless integration. One proven method is to place the sub where you normally sit and then play a bass heavy cd or dvd and move around the room. As you are moving around the room you will find one spot where the bass sounds perfectly seamless,tight and clean. Thats where you want to place your sub,assuming your SO will allow this.Posted Image I know it sounds a little silly but it DOES work.
Good luck.

Dave

#7 of 10 Jeff W.

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 11:41 AM

Best location for strongest bass is in a corner, and one that is away from any doorways or openings into other rooms.

Second best for strongest bass is against a wall, and away from any openings/etc..

If the corner is either too loud or too directional for your taste, try placing it against the back wall, ie the same wall your TV is against, and between the TV and the left/right speaker.

Above all though, you will have to experiment, bass is *very* room-dependent.

#8 of 10 Andre Barros

Andre Barros

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 03:29 PM

Mine sits behind the TV stand about 1 inch from the wall and has the port and the woofer facing left since the left wall is farther away that the right wall. I used to have it in the corner facing front but I decided to try it like this and the result is better. The only thing I made sure of as mentioned above is that the port would point in the direction of the farthest wall.

#9 of 10 Jeff W.

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 04:11 PM

One trick I've heard of is to put the subwoofer at your listening position then crawl around on all fours (make sure your wife/S.O. doesn't catch you, think you're crazy) until you hear the bass the strongest, make a note of that position then put your subwoofer there!

#10 of 10 Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 08:26 PM

I just put another thread up, but since people are looking at this one too...

How about a sub as an end table right next to the seating area?
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...