What's new

where to put the sub (1 Viewer)

scott_seth

Auditioning
Hi - need some advice on sub placement.

I have a large screen projection tv surrounded by a bridge unit. Front speakers on either side, center channel above the TV, rear surround on the corners behind me.

So is there a preferred place for a sub ?. My instincts tell me in the center, on the floor, but that is not possible because it will just stick out in front of the TV and look bad enough for my wife to complain to me for screwing up the decor of the family room - (believe me I've already heard enough of that).

Any ideas where else I can put it ?

SLS

scott_seth

Auditioning
yes there could be - will it be weird hearing the low sound coming from one side of the room ? I guess I'm just used to balance ....

does it matter, front or rear corner ?

CarlosM

Stunt Coordinator
low frequency sound gives the feeling of coming from all around you --- not a specific point in space. Try a corner.. infact, try all 4. see which one you like best.... if not, u may also want to try directly behind your sitting position.

Jason_A

Stunt Coordinator
In the corner or near a wall. Supposedly it sounds better doing this.

It does matter where you put the sub despite what many believe or say.

Jason

Dave Pobuda

Stunt Coordinator
Although subs are omni-directional it does matter where you place them to get seamless integration. One proven method is to place the sub where you normally sit and then play a bass heavy cd or dvd and move around the room. As you are moving around the room you will find one spot where the bass sounds perfectly seamless,tight and clean. Thats where you want to place your sub,assuming your SO will allow this.:D I know it sounds a little silly but it DOES work.
Good luck.

Dave

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
Best location for strongest bass is in a corner, and one that is away from any doorways or openings into other rooms.

Second best for strongest bass is against a wall, and away from any openings/etc..

If the corner is either too loud or too directional for your taste, try placing it against the back wall, ie the same wall your TV is against, and between the TV and the left/right speaker.

Above all though, you will have to experiment, bass is *very* room-dependent.

Andre Barros

Stunt Coordinator
Mine sits behind the TV stand about 1 inch from the wall and has the port and the woofer facing left since the left wall is farther away that the right wall. I used to have it in the corner facing front but I decided to try it like this and the result is better. The only thing I made sure of as mentioned above is that the port would point in the direction of the farthest wall.

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
One trick I've heard of is to put the subwoofer at your listening position then crawl around on all fours (make sure your wife/S.O. doesn't catch you, think you're crazy) until you hear the bass the strongest, make a note of that position then put your subwoofer there!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I just put another thread up, but since people are looking at this one too...

How about a sub as an end table right next to the seating area?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks